Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2011, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default Reservoirs/Pumps: Need a little bit of help...

Okay, so i get paid next week
I want to finish my rig off with watercooling, the loop will have...
CPU > RAM > EVGA 4-Way > 360 Rad >

I know what pump to get and it will be this - Laing DDC-Pump 12V DDC-1Plus (MCP 355)

Is it better to have this res - Scan.co.uk: XSPC Single 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Alu Front) - 5060175580962 or this one XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25 Reservoir for Two Laing DDC's

If i use the duel bay would the pump block still be needed ? EK-DDC X-TOP V2 - Acetal G1/4 Its good to have a custom block, what should i go for ?

Note: I will be adding another GPU loop in a few months time aswell.

I have never did water cooling before and i cant google this anwser thanks guys.

Brought...
Tick - Intel Core i7 920
Tick - EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel X58
Tick - Corsair 850W HX PSU
Tick - Corsair 12gb Ram 1666MHz
Tick - Corsair H50 Water Cooling
Tick - Corsair 800D Case
Tick - WD 1TB Hdd WD1001FALS
Tick - NZXT Sentry LX (Fan Controller)
Tick - Razer Diamondback, Mouse
Tick - Razer Lycosa, Keyboard
Tick - ATI 5870 Graphics Card x1

Need...
Untick - ATI 5870 Graphics Card x3
Untick - LG CH08LS10 Blu Ray
Old March 9, 2011, 07:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I actually just asked about the xspc dual bay and had gotten some feedback saying that it was hard to bleed and had problems with algae (thanks matari), I have no idea about the single bay.

However, another option you have with this pump is you can buy a res/pump top combo. Such as the
EK Water Blocks EK-DDC X-RES 140.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarthfea View Post
I actually just asked about the xspc dual bay and had gotten some feedback saying that it was hard to bleed and had problems with algae (thanks matari), I have no idea about the single bay.
No issues with mine. I use one of the ports for a fillport rather than the top one. Works okay I guess, but still need to shake my case around. I'm more than accustomed to that though as my previous reservoir/pump setup was even worse ;) Though mine's the original model if that matters. It supports dual-DDCs but is a shared reservoir.

Definitely no sign of algae though. I'm running Thermochill UV Blue coolant right now though and used Feser One in the past.

Been running just over a year now with 0 maintenance. I know, bad, but I see nothing floating around.
Old March 10, 2011, 10:38 PM
Top Prospect

Bay reservoirs are almost always require more effort to bleed. I have used Feser One and Thermochill EC6 with the reservoir and got algae both times. Switched to the EK Multioption X2 and never had issues with algae, but it leaked. EK shipped the first round of X2 with a bad O-ring; they said they fixed the issue by buying O-ring from another company. I recently bought a Koolance RP 402 X2. Nice reservoir, but has some issues:

1) Bleeding requires lots of patience,
2) They used way too much lubricant to hold the O-ring in place,
3) Good luck getting that acrylic cover back on if you take it off,
4) The pumps are louder.