Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2008, 06:16 PM
Rookie

Question anyone mod a cpu cooler with exposed heatpipes?

hi guys!

newbie member - found this forum through NXSource since i bought some fans and a cpu cooler there just a few days ago.

i was thinking - some coolers have exposed heatpipes in the base, so that they contact the cpu directly. the ocz vendetta that i ordered has it. has anyone tried to fill in those small gaps between the pipes and the aluminum block with some kind of solder to get that extra bit of contact area?

i want to try that when i get the cooler in my hands, and i'll then have to spend some time to smooth out the surface - but if someone's tried it before, can you point me to their results?

thanks!
Nothing's out there. All there is is sea, and birds, and fish. And 20,000 tonnes of crude oil. And a fire. And the part of the ship that the front fell off. But there's nothing else out there - it's a complete void. The environment's perfectly safe.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Thermal compound will fill the gap enough.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
Thermal compound will fill the gap enough.
Dude....have you seen these heatsink bottoms? You might need two tubes to fill those gaps...I think it is a great idea! I wonder what he's gonna use though...
Old January 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Dude....have you seen these heatsink bottoms? You might need two tubes to fill those gaps...I think it is a great idea! I wonder what he's gonna use though...
The OCZ coolers have failed to impress to say the least.

I ebayed a thermaltake cooler a few years ago and when I got it, the bottom had a huge gash. I soldered the gash and did a light lap job to level it out.

Your best bet is solder the bottom enough to fill the gaps, polish it flat, and use a regular amount of thermal compound.

Solder conducts extremely well.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris10 View Post
hi guys!

newbie member - found this forum through NXSource since i bought some fans and a cpu cooler there just a few days ago.

i was thinking - some coolers have exposed heatpipes in the base, so that they contact the cpu directly. the ocz vendetta that i ordered has it. has anyone tried to fill in those small gaps between the pipes and the aluminum block with some kind of solder to get that extra bit of contact area?

i want to try that when i get the cooler in my hands, and i'll then have to spend some time to smooth out the surface - but if someone's tried it before, can you point me to their results?

thanks!
Doing this is a complete waste of time and you might as well buy a TRUE or something of the nature.
Old January 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
Rookie

i was thinking of using tin-silver solder (95/5 or 96/4 i think), since it ought to be 1/4 as good as copper and 10 to 15 times as good as thermal goop. i picked this cooler cuz it was cheap enough, and it's not going to see any overclocking for quite a while so the solder-filling job would just be something interesting to try. but yeah, fill with solder and then polish it smooth and even. i already have the sandpaper and other stuff from other completely unrelated projects, so my net expense would be next to nil.
Nothing's out there. All there is is sea, and birds, and fish. And 20,000 tonnes of crude oil. And a fire. And the part of the ship that the front fell off. But there's nothing else out there - it's a complete void. The environment's perfectly safe.
Old January 18, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You can try it but I wouldnt expect any crazy results. Could make it worse TBH.
Old January 18, 2008, 01:27 PM
Allstar

solder the cpu to the heatsink

KIDDING