Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 05:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default New Radiator Recommendation

So 2nd swiftech 240rad I got started to leak with small crack of some sort near fitting holes so I had to rma that at ncix and just asked for refund. Now I'm looking for a new rad..

I've looked at Thermochill TA120.3, I can grab one of those for 110 at NCIX price matched

I've also looked at TFC Xchanger 480 from dazmode at 112 seems like a great deal

not sure which one is better option. It'll be mounted on back of my case, at First I liked the idea of 480 xchanger but If i do get xchanger I plan on mounting it around mid 2nd from barb holes that way I don't have to extend my hose from current setup and don't have to use 90deg barbs/fittings, only draw back is that it will stick out the top and won't be so "stealth". While I do have external rad setup, I am not a big fan of things hanging outside of the case and having it visible is even worse. I guess upside is that It'll be silent

and TA120.3 it will just barely poke out the top and not sure if dual width matters with cooling efficiency but i suppose it does? surface area? also it can be picked up locally sans shipping. also shows pretty good stats on skinee labs and shows that it performs pretty well with low speed fans vs xchanger series.

but I did read that all radiators are pretty much the same.

I guess to sum it up
xchanger: silent due to it being "overkill" for my setup
TA120.3: can be silent since it's efficient with low speed fans

this is where it will go

Old February 22, 2011, 06:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Haven't considered HWLabs or XSPC radiators? I have a HWLabs SR-1 360, really nice build quality and it's good for low-speed fans. I believe the XSPC RX series is pretty decent too for low-speed fans and it's a bit cheaper too.

I think you should be fine with a 3x120 radiator though. No need for a 4x120.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:16 AM

My System Specs

I am pretty happy w/ my XSPC RS240 and RS360's. Going w/ a thicker radiator has almost no impact on performance.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Haven't considered HWLabs or XSPC radiators? I have a HWLabs SR-1 360, really nice build quality and it's good for low-speed fans. I believe the XSPC RX series is pretty decent too for low-speed fans and it's a bit cheaper too.

I think you should be fine with a 3x120 radiator though. No need for a 4x120.
I'm also running the SR-1 360 and am very happy with the performance.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The SR-1 360 is a good rad - Dazmode will have the Feser Admiral in (soon?..) and i've heard positive comments over it, I haven't seen any tests.. but I also haven't been looking around that much.
I liked my Gen1 TFC Xchanger 360, it was a tough little rad that was pushed pretty hard.

Are you keeping the 240 on the top and adding a 360? or just running the one 360?
I don't think i'd want a 480 rad with that case, it's just too tall.. it just wouldn't look good.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

I'm keeping the 240 up top and replacing my leaked 240 that's mounted externally.

are TA120.3 a good radiator?

or should I just save some cash and get mcr360 qpk rad?

does width of radiator make any difference? like for example. xspc RS240 and RX240, where RX is twice the width of RS.

Last edited by Mekaw; February 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:59 PM
Rookie

The width of the radiator matters a bit, but it doesn't scale linearly.

If I was you I would mod the top of the case for a 360 radiator and go for an all internal build. To mod the top only requires a single change, to cut the top metal panel. (The top plastic mesh does not need to be changed). Then you could save money by selling you current 240 and the low cost of the 320 would mean you'd basically come out of this with a profit.

Finally, get the new 360 radiator from DirectCanada for $46: Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - DirectCanada
Old February 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
The width of the radiator matters a bit, but it doesn't scale linearly.

If I was you I would mod the top of the case for a 360 radiator and go for an all internal build. To mod the top only requires a single change, to cut the top metal panel. (The top plastic mesh does not need to be changed). Then you could save money by selling you current 240 and the low cost of the 320 would mean you'd basically come out of this with a profit.

Finally, get the new 360 radiator from DirectCanada for $46: Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - DirectCanada
I tinkered with the idea of modding but, I'm just going to steer away from it all together, not something I would like to do really.. i guess it is kind of unfortunate but i see it as positive.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:26 PM
Rookie

If you really don't like case modding you could always put a 240 in the front. Have both the front and top radiators as intake or else they will re-use each other's air and significantly hurt temperatures.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:28 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
If you really don't like case modding you could always put a 240 in the front. Have both the front and top radiators as intake or else they will re-use each other's air and significantly hurt temperatures.
240 doesn't fit in front, that was my original plan when i got 2nd radiator.. it's about good inch or more too tall

and if you had choice, would you take mcr320 or TA120.3?