Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2011, 02:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thermochills are good radiators.. however they have had gunk buildup in the past (still do, from what i've read). I had one, and shook the living [explative] out of it with isopropal alcohol, then flushed it for 20 minutes with water.. and solder and flux crap still came out after time. I sold it off and bought a Swiftech MCR320. I realized the swiftech is a terrible radiator I went with a TFC from Daz and never looked back.
There's something to be said for purchasing a ROHS compliant product. Daz won't steer you wrong.. from what I can tell, he doesn't sell crap. :)

Also, depth in a radiator isn't an apples to apples comparison when you compare two different companies. Things like fin density, fin angles and the material the fins are made out of matter most. Most higher performance rads use copper fins, and depending on it's intended usage.. it could have more or less spacing, depending if it's intended for a high or low cfm fans. Typically a thicker rad would mean more surface for air interruption, which equals lower cooling.. but again, it depends on the rad.
Best to read online comparisons, but make sure it's a legitimate comparison (and the types of fans you're using helps).. lots of testing is flawed on the internet. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Thermochills are good radiators.. however they have had gunk buildup in the past (still do, from what i've read). I had one, and shook the living [explative] out of it with isopropal alcohol, then flushed it for 20 minutes with water.. and solder and flux crap still came out after time. I sold it off and bought a Swiftech MCR320. I realized the swiftech is a terrible radiator I went with a TFC from Daz and never looked back.
There's something to be said for purchasing a ROHS compliant product. Daz won't steer you wrong.. from what I can tell, he doesn't sell crap. :)
I thought those were just the PA series

and I can't really find anything in the 360 range at daz, it's all sold out =(
Old February 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekaw View Post
240 doesn't fit in front, that was my original plan when i got 2nd radiator.. it's about good inch or more too tall

and if you had choice, would you take mcr320 or TA120.3?
Considering the price difference, it's a tough choice. The TA performs marginally better, but it also has a nicer matte black finish and support for thermochill's awesome radiator shrouds.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Considering the price difference, it's a tough choice. The TA performs marginally better, but it also has a nicer matte black finish and support for thermochill's awesome radiator shrouds.
I don't mind spending extra if it's quality rad. speaking of thermochill radiator shroud, seems like a lot of places don't have the 120.3 but they have the 120.2 and .1

I guess we can add another radiator to the line 120.2, 120.3 and mcr320.

considering the 120.2 and .3 is only about 10 dollars apart... I guess if i were to get TA it's worth extra 10 for 360mm i suppose

and how is swiftech MCR series rad a "terrible" radiator, I'm fairly new to WC but mcr220 seem to do just fine for me

with dual mcr220 i was getting 43 max on prime95 small fft 24hrs of testing
when gaming gpu at stock clocks saw around 37 and CPU at 48

with 3xmid rpm fan and 2 x the 2000rpm fan

Last edited by Mekaw; February 22, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Oh, the TA series, I was unaware they had a new line of radiators. Still not ROHS compliant.. and i'd research a little further to see if it has the same old problems (cause I have no idea)

As for the swiftech comment.. just think "you get what you pay for". Look at any of the online reviews.. if they are legit, you see a clear difference between a swiftech 3x120 rad versus something like a TFC, EK or HWLabs rad.

Quote:
Old February 22, 2011, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

some googling, I can confirm it's ROHS compliant. I personally like how "complete" TFC radiator packages are with rubber seals and stuff but like charliehorse said I think it's too big of a rad =P

I think I'm just going to go either TA120.2 or .3
Old February 22, 2011, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you get a TA120, let us know how things go. I'd probably get a .3, and get rid of your other swiftech 240.. or at least see if it makes any difference. :)

Quote:
Old February 22, 2011, 10:57 PM
Top Prospect

Just bought myself a TA120.3, will pick it up at ncix on thursday
Old February 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
Top Prospect

Interested to see if the hole-tap issue is what some people are making it out to be (ie. a pita).
Old February 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
Top Prospect

what do you mean?