Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2011, 12:45 AM
Top Prospect

Default Not sure what to upgrade...

I am not sure what to upgrade. I just drained my loop and cleaned my gear. For X-mas, I got my EK X58 Asus Motherboard and Mosfet blocks and EK Corsair Ram block shortly after. My stupid EK X2 Multioption reservoir leaked, so I used Teflon tape. I was thinking of buying new Koolance bay reservoir for two DDC pumps and purchase a second pump. My other option would be to use my old XSPC single bay reservoir and buy another radiator. Not sure what I want to do. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have my CPU, Mobo, and Ram all on one loop. I only have a 3x120mm radiator on that loop. I have my Core i7 overclocked to 4 ghz with vCore at 1.35. According to eXtreme PSU calculator, im approximately 320 watts with some head room. According to Skinnee's chart, I would need at least another single radiator to keep my delta 5 on my loop using an HW SR1 with 1450 rpm Gentle Typhoons. So it is either buy a nice fancey reservoir, and sacrifice my delta 5, or keep that nightmare to bleed XSPC bay reservoir and buy another radiator. sigh lol.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:30 AM
Banned
F@H

hows your flow so far, if you can check it? :)
Old February 10, 2011, 05:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not a fan of bay resevoirs, in the past they were known for leaking around the edges - as they weren't sealed properly.. over time they developed a leak. I can't say much for the newer generation bay resevoirs.. I just find them a pain in the ass to fill. For that reason, i'd stay away - but your setup may lend itself for easier management.

One pump (no matter the pump) should be enough for that loop, even if you had constrictive blocks / lots of 90 degree bends. Unless of course the pump was faulty or old and worn.

A triple rad is more than sufficient for a 920 D0 @ 4Ghz overclock.. and 1.35v is a good average voltage for that CPU. Depending on your motherboard and RAM settings, going to 1.4v and bumping to 4.1 or 4.2Ghz wouldn't be stretching it too far.

There are a lot of pump / pump top / resevoir combos available - check Dazmodes site, i've seen some nice combos i'd shell out for if I went back to watercooling. If you were unhappy with your pump / res.. that's what i'd be looking to replace - and get a pump top for better performance and noise handling (etc)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

My flow rate is decent; adding a second pump is only for redundentcy Martin has show that flowe rates above 1 GPM make little difference on temps. The tripple radiator is enough for my cpu, just when I add the rest I will lose the delta 5. I am sure that the koolance wont leak as much as the ek x2 multioption.
Old February 10, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

You can get spare part and fix EK res... Dual pumps is worth it in my opinion for redundancy.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old February 10, 2011, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

I am sure I can get it fixed; the O-ring is just to small and does not make proper contact with the acrylic. So I have a choice, I either get a new O-ring, or I see how tight I can screw on the cap (not a good idea). Even with he Teflon tape, I worried every day about that reservoir leaking. So I just want something else that will help ease my mind.