Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 05:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default [Solved] Advice needed: Keep or Not.. Barb vs Compressions SLI Connection 56k Warning

Hi everyone,

I just recently got another GTX 580 for SLI, and I am currently watercooling both in parallel.

Here's a picture of my entire loop. (ignore my thumb)

Here's a picture of the SLI connection, no leaks yet and has been on for a day already.

Now I am concerned that the barb and tubing would leak one day without clamps.. but I love the look..

Originally, the plan was to use compression fittings but there is clearance issue with the bottom card and the backplate.. I couldn't connect the compression fittings to the waterblock cause of the obstruction from the backplate.

So on to the second plan.... 3/8 tubing and 1/2 barbs..... but!!! I couldn't get the damn 3/8 tubing over the barbs (yes I used boiling distilled water) .. so I opted for 1/2 tubing. and above is the results.

Now the third plan is coming in tommorow from daz.. 2 1/2" Rotary compression fittings for the bottom card. Now I chose the rotary straight compresison fitting because it has a built in 8mm spacer.. so I will no longer have to worry about the backplate obstructing a connection. This is most secure but at the cost of aesthetics.. will look wierd with a spacer.

So the dilemma is... stick with Plan 2 or move to Plan 3? If the probablity of plan 2 not leaking at all I would like to keep it as is.

Oh and no pre-made SLI connectors please :D would like to see tubing.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any feedback on my current loop to make it better let me know!

RESULTS OF ROTARY FITTINGS !~!

They did not turn out too bad! I will be keeping it this way!

And if anyone is intrested in temps.. I get 48-51 degrees load on both cards and 28-30 idle. @ 950/2200 @ 1.15 mV

Last edited by vohiep84; February 10, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:54 PM
Rookie

It won't leak as it is. The clamp is just to keep the tubing from physically falling off the barb in a longer run of tubing. With such a short run with no sideways tension on the barb the chance of the tubing spontaneously removing itself from the barb is very low.

I would just leave it as is, or a dremel to "fix" the backplate on the bottom card to allow the use of normal compression fittings.
Old February 9, 2011, 06:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah, I was thinking to myself what possible way could it leak unless there was too much pressure but the water seems to be passing through it easily.

:P no to dremeling.. i tried w/o backplate but the pcb got in the way by a hair.
Old February 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
Rookie

Dremel the PCB? :D
Old February 9, 2011, 06:16 PM
Top Prospect

if you are worried maybe grab couple of skinny white zipties
Old February 9, 2011, 06:20 PM
Allstar

I will not win a contest but I use those kind of clips on my 1/2 tubing over 1/2 barbs, I will never trust compress barb, with the time I learn to like the look it give. But I,m black on black, not sure how it will look on your white tubing, you can paint them ...

Old February 9, 2011, 06:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I actually tried to ziptie the tubbing with tiny black zipties.. once again the backplate leaves little to no room for anything ..

Not seeing your picture Botat..
Old February 9, 2011, 06:38 PM
Allstar

other one don't see my pics ?
Old February 9, 2011, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah I see it now and you said it best. it won't win any contests
Old February 9, 2011, 07:02 PM
Rookie

How much does the fitting touch the PCB by? Perhaps you could dremel the backplate, and then use a small 2mm spacer to raise the fitting up off the block just that little amount required to solve the problem.