Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thx V84 and JD.
I was just checking out the galleries.

Do you think for two 5870's I should be looking at a double or triple fan rad?
Old February 10, 2011, 07:36 PM
Rookie

A 240 would work well, a 360 would give 2-3C lower temperatures. Considering the price difference between an MCR220 and an MCR320 is only about $5-10 depending where you look it shouldn't be a problem (assuming you can fit a 360 radiator into that case).
Old February 11, 2011, 03:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
A 240 would work well, a 360 would give 2-3C lower temperatures. Considering the price difference between an MCR220 and an MCR320 is only about $5-10 depending where you look it shouldn't be a problem (assuming you can fit a 360 radiator into that case).
No rad will fit in my case. It would be an exterior set up on the floor or mounted to the back of my case.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm close to making a decision(I think)
It'll be to water cool my set up as is or get a full tower case with bigger MB and air cool. Both will lower my GPU temps allowing me to Crossfire my 5870's. RIGHT?

I'll ask this here first.......

If I go with the Asus Rampage III Extreme MB and I use the top and third pci slot down allowing for an open space/slot between the cards. I want to be sure the cards will operate at full speed(16x) in this configuration. Would that be the case? I'd like to be sure I understand the specs right(link below).

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

THX
Old February 11, 2011, 05:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would go watercooling I would not waste the money to upgrade to a new motherboard and case, you will see much better results under water and will be alot more satisfied.

The performance difference is small when having your graphics cards on 16x/16x lanes vs 16x/8x lane and again not worth the price premium.

You can run slots 1 and 2 under water and you will not have the same issues with heat when your cooling it with air.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What I would do , providing the 5870s have a full coverage plate for mem and VRM like the GTX 480 has - is to get a set of swiftec universal gpu blocks (fairly cheap) and a set of fittings with your choice of pump,res,tubing and a 240mm radiator. Shouldnt be too expensive or difficult of an endevour to do .
Old February 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Just to end the thread with a update.
I went for the air cooled option. I got the CM Haf-X case and Asus Rampage III Extreme MB.
I Swapped the black side fan to the open top spot with a new blue LED. Tons of air flow.
Running the 5870's in crossfire. Good temps...........73'C for Medal of Honour max settings. Left for Dead 2 temps way lower.
Case is quiet and looks great!

I feel this will do me fine for a while and allow for options(upgrades) in the future. Perhaps even water cooling the newest fastest GPU's.

Thanks to all for your input.

PS; I've learned alot about water cooling and kudos to all that make the effort to set up a nice rig!