Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2011, 06:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Possibly. Although I wouldn't get the Antec 1200 if you are going to upgrade your case, there are a lot of better cases out there in the same price range. Try the HAF-932, 600T and the Lian Li K62
Ok thx, well look at those and more:)
Old February 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well just for reference...

I have a i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz and a single HD5870 with EK Fullcover block attached to a HWLabs SR1-360 radiator. My GPU idles at 33C and rarely does it surpass 40C while gaming. Watercooling video cards has a much larger temperature decrease than watercooling CPUs IMO.
Old February 8, 2011, 07:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well just for reference...

I have a i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz and a single HD5870 with EK Fullcover block attached to a HWLabs SR1-360 radiator. My GPU idles at 33C and rarely does it surpass 40C while gaming. Watercooling video cards has a much larger temperature decrease than watercooling CPUs IMO.

Thx JD; great temps there!
Other than my GPU temps, the rest of my case is cool.
I have a big V1 cooler on my CPU that works great.

Cheers
Old February 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Don't worry about being a first timer in water cooling, this was my first water cooled case went pretty easy except when I forgot to plug the pump in and the water block fluid started to boil then it just shut off you could imagine the F words were flying then

quality of the EK blocks are outstanding although you can see a few milling groves no big deal and no leaks

Order right from EK the prices might say 109.00 for the block but when you add 2 to your cart it drops to 85.00
from EK to Vancouver 2 days only DHL
Old February 9, 2011, 06:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quick update......
Removed the bottom card from case. That leaves an open space(one empty slot) below single card.
After about one hour of Medal of Honour gaming I'm seeing about a 10'C temp drop. Staying steady at 74'C regardless case fan speeds. I'll give it a longer run later..........

So should I just be thinking about the bigger case/motherboard?
Old February 9, 2011, 06:21 AM
Rookie

If you don't care about looks get a ribbon pci riser and a longer crossfire bridge and you'll be set. It will separate the cards for ~$15.
Old February 9, 2011, 08:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You would do well with a RIIIE in a 600T. But you know what would probably work well for you?

THIS

Buy just one to cool the hotter card or a couple and do both, you'll get benefits without shelling out for a full-size custom loop. Save you a hell of a lot of space, too.

This would work great in a 600T as you could replace the top 200mm fan with the two 120s and the rads for the Onmis and if you wanted (I'd recommend) you could pick up a Corsair H50, H60 (when available), H70 or a CoolIT ECO or Vantage for the rear 120mm fan.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyzac View Post
You would do well with a RIIIE in a 600T. But you know what would probably work well for you?

THIS

Buy just one to cool the hotter card or a couple and do both, you'll get benefits without shelling out for a full-size custom loop. Save you a hell of a lot of space, too.

This would work great in a 600T as you could replace the top 200mm fan with the two 120s and the rads for the Onmis and if you wanted (I'd recommend) you could pick up a Corsair H50, H60 (when available), H70 or a CoolIT ECO or Vantage for the rear 120mm fan.
That thing is worse than a standard quality air cooler, I would not buy it.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
If you don't care about looks get a ribbon pci riser and a longer crossfire bridge and you'll be set. It will separate the cards for ~$15.
charlie horse

Good idea on a product I wasn't aware of but alas not for me.
It's a looks and space issue.

Reyzac

I was aware of the coolit products but again space is an issue and not so sure of such a small loop getting the job done? Will look at the Corsair towers though.

I must say the Haf x tower has caught my attention. If I got the Asus RIII3 MB along with the Haf x keeping my 5870 cards apart do you figure I'd keep my temps in crossfire in the mid 70's?
Would my 5870's keep up with new games for awhile such as Rage, Crysis2 and Portal 2?
Is there good money to be had selling my Antec 900/2 case and Asus Rampage II Extreme MB?
Should I juat change over to water cooling the GPU's?

I'm really having a tough time as to what might be the best path to take!

Oh....and my single 5870 is a solid 74'C max with Crysis Warhead and MOH.

As before thanks for the suggestions and I welcome furture help:)
Old February 9, 2011, 02:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

To help you better, what is your budget? We can then help you decide if you want to stick with Air or Water.

The items that you are planning to get are pretty darn expensive items just to drop a few temps on your 5870's Just throwing that out there to put things in perspective.

Anyways to answer your questions..

Yes, the Haf X and RE3 will probably net you better temps than your current case.

Your cards should be fine for those games, the computer gaming industry has not caught up to the graphics hardware mainly because console games sell better and we get the ports /rant.

I would say you could get tops $350 for the two items.

:P I already suggested to sell them and get a single card solution.