Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2011, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

Default Condensation questions

I want to get back into the water, it's been a while but I miss messing with it.But i want to try to add a elite to the puzzle, so
Does anyone have any experience with a coolit elite and adding a rad (dual 120) into the equation? Would it help stop any condensation issues, or am I just wasting my time.I was thinking of adding it to a cpu/dual gpu loop.
I have had the elite sitting in a box for some time now, and thought what the hell...might as well use it.
Below is why I am asking.

I decided to use the elite last summer on the i5 750 I have, but while I was leak testing everything, there was a fair amount of condensation forming on the heatsinks of the elite.So of course I freaked out and stopped what I was doing, cleaned everything off and applied insulating tape to the heatsinks. This seemed to have work for a bit, but I was still uneasy, so I removed the system and ran it in my basement with a noctua fan to see if any condensation would occur.
I let it run all night and in the morning I came down to check it out and the heatsinks were covered in frost. So...I drained it all, cleaned it, and packed it away in box where it has been since then.(no idea how this happened as my basement is damp, but not cold as it was the summer) I ran a different pump(DB-1) and a t-line to fill it.
Perhaps I have a faulty unit...or the humidity was high, or something.

Wow..this was the last time I really messed with H20
Old February 5, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really don't no what temps your ambient are but the only time i have every worried about condensation was when i was going sub-zero and that didn't have that much of a problem. but if your apt is real damp like you say this may be why but i live in orillia adn that's a swamp so this kinda confuses me you system should produce enough ambient heat to not cause this to happen ( hence your water should be room temp then in a matter of an hour get warmer not colder ) so there shouldn't be any problem. i really don't have a clear answer for ya strange is all i can say you could always try blow a big fan on the whole setup.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A room dehumidfire in the room maybe ?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It seems logical that it would "freeze" up without any heatload. The unit itself afterall is designed to run at sub-zero temperatures due to the TECs, but once you have a heatload applied to it, I doubt it would freeze up as the TECs aren't strong enough to take 65W+ of heat and cool it to below 0C.

CoolIt designed it to be safe for everyday use, and I'd assume they'd have everything covered regarding condensation. Also being a pre-sealed unit, a typical person would probably never leak test it.

Last edited by JD; February 5, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You can set a target temp with the software manager of the coolit unit. I used Boreas and was setting it 3-4 degrees above ambient, never had any condensation issue. You might want to had a radiator to the loop, but gain will be minimal.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 6, 2011, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

Ya, i leaked tested the unit because it was no longer a "sealed unit" as I had added another pump. I never ran the software manager as I never used the mtec controller, so it would have been running the tecs at 100% all the time.
I think if I run a 200mm fan over the whole thing, I should be alright. I am going to stick with just the cpu in the loop, as I am not sure how long I am going to have the dual 6870's.
If the dual rad and elite can keep the 2500k under 65-70 degrees on full load over clocked, I will be happy with it.Hopefully I will get some time to day to start on this.