Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 02:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default EK D5 Dual Top w/ Res

Hi all,

I've been rather confused as of late about the EK D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOP part that EKWB sells. According to EKWB, only their Multioption V1 Reservoirs can fit into it, yet on the other hand, they sell a EK-Multioption RES X2 - LINK50/60 part that can apparently fit the said top.

Any clarification on this? Is it possible to attach a Multioption X2 to the top? I know Daz did a video awhile back, but he touched on the single loop/redundant version and I assume that's before the Multioption X2 Reservoirs were released.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Only ver. 1 reservoirs can screw into the top, however with the use of that link you mentioned you can screw in V2 reservoirs as well. Basically the old ones were based of a 50mm standard, and the new reservoirs use a 60mm tube. The link adapter changes the 50mm thread on the top to a 60mm thread compatible with the new reservoirs.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks, I hoped as much.

EK's website having contradicting facts doesn't do potential customers very good, but I'm glad they at least have an option.

On another note, two loops seem excessive for a 1100t, ram, and two 6970's?
Still deciding on the rads I should cram into my 800d.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbtides View Post
On another note, two loops seem excessive for a 1100t, ram, and two 6970's?
Still deciding on the rads I should cram into my 800d.
If you are doing triple and a dual internally in the 800D it should be fine with a single loop depends how far you want to overclock. If your going for dual loops put 240 on the cpu and 360 on the graphics.

Dual loop should save you a few degrees as you don't have to share the heat from other waterblocks.. but usually cost more in the end.

To give you an idea of temps, I have a quad and a dual internally in a 700d under a single loop. I am cooling a 920 @ 4.4 ghz and two Gtx 580's at 950/2200.

With ambient tempatures of 28 degrees .. My processor hits high 70's and my GTX 580's hovers around the low 60's should be better when I put them in parrallel. Theres a max 10 degree difference between the top and bottom cards at the moment.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:43 PM
Rookie

Dual loop is a complete waste of money. Test and test and test again have shown that one single loop actually performs better than two loops. This is because water as such a high heat capacity. The water coming out of your CPU block is only about 0.5-0.7C warmer than when it went it.

I's just stick with a single loop.

For the radiator the easiest mod you can do is to mod the top for a 480 radiator. This will give you excellent cooling ability and should easily handle the parts you mentioned. I did this with my 800D an it's very easy to do (Put an RX480 up top)
Old February 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sort of torn with going for dual pump in one loop for redundancy and then throwing a quad on top.

I'm hesitant to really chop up my 800d; call me crazy, but aethetics are a huge thing for me. How does the quad modification look?

On the other hand, 2 loops would require me to mod for a double rad anyways. Price isn't that much of an issue, as I'm going a bit overkill. But back to the aesthetics, I think having 2 tube reservoirs side by side would look awfuly neato coming out of the pump top.

So esentially, what's easier:

Cutting the top for a quad and making a big loop?
Cutting the bottom for a double and having 2 loops?

P.S. I'd really love to see your quad pics.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
Rookie

I'll post quad pictures later when I get back home. It looks quite nice.

Modding the top is definitely easier, you only have to cut a single panel. On the bottom you have to remove rivets and cut holes in the bottom and side panels.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Here is a picture of the top mounted radiator. I've painted the radiator white so that's what the white lines are. I used a cheap rad-grill and it came with glossy black paint. While it kind of fits in, if you spent a little more and got this radiator grill it would come in Matteblack and look excellent. It looks great even with the gloss paint though.
Attached Images

Old February 8, 2011, 05:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for upping this!

I really had my eye on Koolance's shrouds as it would give me extra space of a push pull, but the black finish on them still doesn't match up. I'll seriously consider your suggestion though. I think I have to go with a quad now.

I really wish it was easier to get an idea of what these grills/shrouds look like compared to the 800d.

But again, appreciate the post. Definitely gives me something to think about.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Really, once you cut out the top and replace it with a fan grill that extra bit of space allows you to run push-pull with 25mm fans no problem. I only have a single set of fans in push right now but there's easily room for another fan to be added.