Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2011, 07:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Thermocouple Probe Question

Hello all,

I bought a K-type thermocouple probe the other day to use as a temp monitor for my CPU. It is a really thin, sleeved wire, and as thin as it is, the probe ends in a miniscule ball. Now, will I be able to fit that probe between the CPU and the block, or will I have to flatten the ball? And will flattening the ball harm the probe and/or remove its effectiveness?

Any info is welcome, thanks.
Old February 3, 2011, 07:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you'll be able to flatten the ball out thin enough to fit it in between the IHS and your heat sink without affecting your thermal performance. Flattening out the ball will not have an effect on it's performance, as long as it doesn't crack apart (I've had success with just twisting the wires together in a bind, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use). My suggestion is to put it on the underside of your heat sink as close to the IHS as possible (touching both would be much better).

My $0.02
Old February 3, 2011, 07:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

All right... I think I know what you mean...
But when I say miniscule, I mean damn TINY... the ball is 0.86mm...

Last edited by Reyzac; February 3, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to recall someone somewhere cutting a tiny groove into either the IHS or the HFS base and placing the thermocouple there... but I might advise against that unless you know what you are doing.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

At first I was thinking that exact same thing, but I have no readily available tools for that and as you said, I probably wouldn't know what I was doing
Old February 3, 2011, 01:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyzac View Post
All right... I think I know what you mean...
But when I say miniscule, I mean damn TINY... the ball is 0.86mm...
I hear ya, when we used to get pre-made thermocouples at work, 30AWG, there was no ball at the end, they used just enough energy to fuse the two wires together ... very nice work!

Depending on the heat sink you're using, you may be able to put a groove in it with a knife/awl/something sharp and pokey ... copper is quite soft, and so is aluminum. Plus, you would still need quite a bit of force to make the groove ... or multiple passes. I would still recommend staying towards the edge of the IHS ... you know ... just in case.
Old February 3, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

what in the world.. why..?

you can't just run a thermocouple between a chip and a heatsink, that will mess up the heatsink entirely unless you drill/etch out a channel in the heatsink.. but then you're just going to be measuring that specific area, not the entire chip.

I'd find a way to measure the exhaust temperatures. that's your best bet with something like that. stick it in between a heatsink fin somewhere not too close to the fan..

what's wrong with your onboard CPU temp sensors?

and yes, flattening the ball will likely mess up the probe.
Old February 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
FredDurstIsStillCool

This will not work. Totally not worthwhile....

You can adhere it to the side of the IHS, but short of making a recess in the IHS to put the probe in, that's the most accurate temps you'll get out of a probe.

Just use the sensor on the chip.
Old February 3, 2011, 03:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If you do use it in contact with the heat sink, just make sure that the tip is insulated, as I don't know if the heat sink is grounded via the backplate (if applicable). I'm leaning towards no, but just to be sure.

I do agree with the others, there's really no point in measuring the temperature of the heat sink, you have on-die thermistors that are in a better position for thermal management. You could put it below your video card, to see if there is any hot air accumulating there, or anywhere else that might be airflow restricted.
Old February 4, 2011, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's already been said, but just putting it between the CPU and heatsink is a no-no. Considering that you can see CPU temp improvements simply from increasing pressure on a fully seated heatsink, deliberately sticking something betewen the two that can't be measured in tens of micrometres... definitely not. It'll take a big chunk out of your contact patch, no matter how thin it might be, and the data won't actually be any more useful than the on-die temp sensors.