Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
Rookie

Default WC setup

Well I need to know what people think about this setup

As I am making a build with the stuff listed here http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...t-monster.html it will not take me long to make the secondary enclosure at work. I am not overly a fan of having the rad and fans look like a growth on the top of the case, thus the question of if the setup in the picture would work :).

Last edited by Dark; January 14, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Remove image.
Old January 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

That sort of setup will work, but you'll want to make sure that the Y-splits going into the GPU blocks are as symmetrical as possible - if one path offers less resistance than the other, you'll get a flow imbalance, and differing temperatures. Really, if your flow is good - and with a D5, it should be - there shouldn't be any trouble with having the GPU come one after the other, and things will be neater.

That aside, I know it's just a sketch, but the rad looks small. A quad-core and a pair of 3870's will definitely want a triple rad cooling things down. Maybe more than one rad, depending on how loud you want your fans.

Quick-disconnects might be handy when it comes to moving the case around, since the P182's are heavy by themselves.
Old January 10, 2008, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input MpG, that was one thing I was wondering about was if the "Y"s would create any flow impeadince (I deal with LN2/GN2 for a living so fluid is outa my area lol). The rad is a triple 120mm so I think that will be good enough (hoping lol). I am trying to keep the machine as quite as possible, never thought of quick disconnects might be an idea.

So taking your suggestions in to account it would look something like this?

Last edited by Dark; January 14, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Remove image.
Old January 11, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

That rad and fan combination should be up to the task, I'd say.

As far as the y-fittings are concerned... Technically speaking, any time you go from hose to a barb creates a small amount of flow impedance. What it also does is create another potential spot for a leak. But in a system with a CPU block and two GPU blocks, the restriction will be pretty much negligible, and you're clamping your tubes and leak testing, right? So I wouldn't sweat it too much. If the Y-fittings let you use less tubing, or let you route it better, or you just want it to look that way... go right ahead. But beyond that, it's the oldest engineering rule in the book - K.I.S.S.
Old January 11, 2008, 06:20 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you want the best temps and the coolest liquid to the CPU, you have to design your loop like such: Res - pump - rad - cpu - gpu1 - gpu2 - res.
Now looking at the pics, you have: Rad - Res - pump - cpu - gpu1 - gpu2 - res.

Listen to MpG: a WC case can get very heavy. I've built a few WC rigs using the P180. The last ones were at a hefty 52 and 56 Lbs.
Old January 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
Rookie

MpG, yup the hoses will be clamped using the stainless worm drives, and it will be tested for a day or more.

3.0charlie, why would having the res after the pump be better? (This is new to me so just trying to understand).
Old January 11, 2008, 09:40 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Locating the rad right before the CPU will provide it with the coolest liquid temperature.
Old January 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Ok, not like it would be hard to route it that way thanks :).
Old January 11, 2008, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Ok so how is this?

Now what is the best way to fill the system? fill the rad and the res at the same time? or start with the res and keep adding coolant until the system is full?
Old January 11, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't know of any radiator that will fill easily in that orientation, and it's not really necessary. Just keep filling the reservoir, letting gravity take the fluid down through the pump. Then just keep jump-starting the pump to push fluid through (never letting the pump run dry) until the system is full. At that point, just let the system bleed itself properly and fully leak test.