Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Dear CoolIT and Corsair (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/39817-dear-coolit-corsair.html)

Rison January 12, 2011 05:25 AM

Dear CoolIT and Corsair

Dear CoolIT and Corsair,

Please produce a good performing dual rad liquid cooling block that can mount 4x 120mm fans (include the screws). Bump the pump size to flow more liquid (thicker tubes, or faster flow, whichever you choose) and keep it marginally affordable.. in the $140-160 range.
Include a three year warranty, and I will have four of them in my household - pending HWC reviews. :thumb:

Yours truely,

Me. A previous watercooling enthusiest who doesn't like the maintenance of custom loops.

Dazmode January 12, 2011 08:46 AM

"Maintenance free" is pure marketing term. They run the same distilled-glycol mix as everybody else inside black tubing.

Arinoth January 12, 2011 10:05 AM

Daz, some of us are lazy and want it all pre-built for us too. I'd probably go full WC if it wasnt for the setting it up

Dazmode January 12, 2011 10:14 AM

"Pre-build" part I understand. It makes complete sense for me.

But what I don't buy is claims of "no maintenance" and "no leaking" in comparison with custom loop. That what I was referring to in my post above.

matsta31 January 12, 2011 10:22 AM

no maintenance ? Get air cooling and SANDY. Seems like you'll get the performance out of it anyway.

BootlegUsher January 12, 2011 10:55 AM

I thought the tubing they use is more resistant to evaporation then your typical custom loop tubing.

Rison January 12, 2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazmode (Post 473649)
"Pre-build" part I understand. It makes complete sense for me.

But what I don't buy is claims of "no maintenance" and "no leaking" in comparison with custom loop. That what I was referring to in my post above.

Yeah, they are also smaller and easier to install / setup which helps.. no spending hours figuring out tube routing / etc.
I've had 3x H50's for over a year (I think) with no performance difference since I installed them.. every watercooling loop i've made, has had some form of growth which requires tear down and cleaning every 6mo. Also refilling the res every so often from standard evaporation.
The only benefit custom loops have over CPUs is the performance - which with a proper rad / water flow (the point of the thread) we wouldn't need (expensive) custom setups.. well, unless you have multiple CPUs and GPUs.

Theoretically a dual/triple watercooling rad on a sealed unit would outperform any air based cooler, we just haven't seen one do it right yet.

MpG January 12, 2011 12:27 PM

The problem is that the current crop of all-in-one WC units are basically just a list of trade-offs where they give up degrees until the unit becomes cheap and fool-proof. The instant you start using a better pump, cost and mounting becomes more difficult, and noise from a hard-mounted pump goes up. The instant you go to a double rad, your target market shrinks massively, ruining mass-production opportunities. The minute you use a good waterblock, manufacturing costs go up. $140-160 might be doable, but I really have to wonder whether the profit margins would make the attempt worth it.

Personally, I'd like to see Swiftech take another go with their kits. Now that they've integrated the pump, radiator and reservoir all together, there's a lot of potential there.

3.0charlie January 12, 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 473694)
Personally, I'd like to see Swiftech take another go with their kits. Now that they've integrated the pump, radiator and reservoir all together, there's a lot of potential there.

NCIX.com - Buy Switech 1/2IN 2X120MM Edge Series Liquid Cooling Kit - H20-220 Edge In Canada.

sswilson January 12, 2011 01:42 PM

+++ to double rads.

Having played with the apogge drive on both a single and double rad config, I can testify to the huge difference in performance between the two.