Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 09:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New to water cooling, questions about fans.

Hey guys, I decided to take the plunge (ugh) and get myself some water cooling for my build. I decided that for the CPU and MOBO I'd take it easy at first and go with a Swiftech Edge triple rad kit (I know I know, nothing beats custom but I wanted to get a feel for it first before I go crazy complicated and this kit definatly lowered my temps)

I wanted to keep the footprint minimal as I will be doing a second loop when I grab a new set of cards next year. Anyway, the kit came with 3 120mm fans that I'm using for a pull/intake config on my haf-x (top mounted). Now I also have 2 320mm coolermaster fans that I was using on the top for exhaust but had to take out once the rad was installed. I have a 320mm exhaust on the side panel, a 320mm exhaust on the front panel and a 140mm exhaust on the rear.

So next week I'll be getting a NZXT sentry LXE external fan controller because this system is pretty loud at full speed and I'd like to control the speed externally. Since this will be my setup for a good while I'd like your guys input on what I should do with the rad. Should I go with the triple 120mm for the intake on the rad or do you think I'll get more airflow with the 320mm fans instead on the top?

Now I'm still pretty new to the PC build game so here are my ideas on the two setups. The 320mm dual fans will be quieter but there will be about a 4 inch gap between them and I think they will be more or less blowing "onto" the rad instead of through it but I might be wrong. Now the 3 120mm are going to be louder and they are "stock" fans that came with the kit but since they are mounted directly to the rad I feel that they essentially force the air through the fins. So instead of going it alone like I have thus far with the build I think it's time to join the forums and get input from the best and brightest as I will no doubt have many more questions once I start to push this system a little bit. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Yukonborn; January 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old January 10, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hi new member, I would like to help you, but my eyes hurt trying to read all theses sentences in one paragraph, I just cant.

Good luck.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My bad, it didn't look that awfull until I came back. Hope that's better now.
Old January 10, 2011, 02:44 PM
Rookie

I would turn your fans around. As heat rises I have always used the top/rear as exaust and side/front as intake. I ony use a double rad in my HAFX but it should work the same.

Here is a thread with pictures of my HAF build. I overclock my chip and get pretty good temps with this setup. Also, the air coming out of my case I would not want inside it. I really do not like having the rad air blown into my case.

i7 970 HAFX watercooled build
Old January 24, 2011, 10:23 AM
Rookie

You will get much better airflow with 3 x120mm fans. Whenever the blades of a fan overhang the heatsink/radiator most of the airflow will escape through there. Of course some air will always go through the radiator, but you would be much better off with 3x120mm fans.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I agree with what charliehorse said, and would just add that larger fans equal larger hubs and will create a larger dead spot on the radiator.

If the fans are really that intolerable you could always get three Scythe Gentle Typhoons or something similar that performs really well with minimal noise output.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukonborn View Post
Hey guys, I decided to take the plunge (ugh) ... and go with a Swiftech Edge triple rad kit (I know I know, nothing beats custom but I wanted to get a feel for it first before I go crazy complicated and this kit definatly lowered my temps)
Good morning Yukonborn

I see that you have chosen the Swiftech Edge triple rad kit, while this is probably a good kit, there are plenty of other kits that will perform better and are easier on the wallet.

Depending on where you live;(in the US) there's frozencpu.com (I suspect that's where you saw the Swiftech kit), products from EK Waterblocks is a much better solution, as are kits from XSPC.
If you're wanting to stay with a triple rad setup, here's a couple of suggestions:

XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 Universal CPU / Triple Radiator Water Cooling Kit Hot Item! - FrozenCPU.com

Ek H30 Supreme HF 360 Advanced Liquid Cooling Kit (EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360) - FrozenCPU.com

If you hail from Canada, this is about the best place to shop for (high quality) water cooling components and kits:

Rasa 750 RS360 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit Rasa 750 RS240 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit [RASA750KIT 360] - $162.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Rasa Uber 750 RX360 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit Rasa Uber 750 RX360 Complete CPU WaterCooling Kit [RASA750KIT UBER360] - $199.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Any of these kits are going to be a better choice for performance/ bang for the buck vs the Swiftech kits...just a thought

B.

Homer J. Simpson
Old February 2, 2011, 05:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Performance wise, it's best to sandwich a rad with fans on either side. If you have the room, I would have six fans (three on each side) blowing air from the inside of the case to the outside through the top. Having lots of intake at the bottom front is a good thing also.

As for fans, I recommend the Scythe line - I use the Scythe SFLEX fans, and I hear the Gentle Typhoons are also good. If you're using a controller with them, I personally would get the SFF21G (1900 rpm) and turn them down (with the ability to crank them up if needed) Without a fan controller, I use the SFF21E (1200rpm)
A lot of other fans i've tried fail prematurely when mounted to a rad horizontally.

Noctua P12's are also excellent fans, with good static pressure for radiators. They are extremely quiet, though expensive compared to other manufacturers.

I also agree with Bman, if I were to get a premade kit, i'd be looking at the ones Daz sells, versus the swiftech kits.. but it looks like you already bought it, so can't do much there.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.