Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Default Custom watercooling setup

Hello guys!

I'd like to watercool my i7 930, that and only that, well, possibly video as well in the *very* distant future, but that is like 0.5% probable. So That's what I've chosen (mind you that I live in Russia and am going to use this shop or possibly this shop, so the choice is pretty much limited for me):

Heatkiller 3.0 LT (the middle version, must be LT, but not sure)
XSPC Bay Res Single
XSPC 240 Rad, RX or RS? Any advantages of the RX has over the RS here? Single i7 and maybe a video card later in the future, as I've already said
Enermax Magmas x2 (inspired by the iHannes Cl[M]ean Machine Project over at XtremeSystems)

That's pretty much it, as everything else is irrelevant, I guess. Like tubing and stuff. Cheap and no so important.

What do you think? All this will be placed in a CM 690 II (upper or lower rad bay, the 690 has two).

Now the second question, this time for those who have a CM 690 or have an idea of how it is built. It basically has place for 8(!) 120 mm fans, two 240 rad bays (mount points) one in the front bottom corner (or right bottom if you look at the case with the side panel removed, facing the motherboard), one middle top, plus an exhaust fan and and intake fan / disk cooling fan, with blue LED's :) for those who love these things. The question actually is, how do I mount the rad and, most importantly, fans?

Like if it's at the top, fans in the exhaust mode, then it's going to suck hot air in and that's not gonna be that effective, right? Now if I mount the rad at the bottom, in the second bay, then the fans are obviously in the intake mode, because bottom (floor) is where the cool air resides (with the terrestrial Newton physics :) at least.) Which is cool for the rad and for the i7 (and the video card), as cooling with cool air :) is effective. But then all this hot exhaust (used) air goes up through the case into the upper exhaust grille and straight onto the VREG and Northbidge, which do suffer badly from this. This looks like a dilemma, doesn't it? I don't want to use a fullcover, don't even ask me why. Short answer is because it's non-financially-effective and in general useless and doesn't give you any benefits besides (good or even awesome) looks which is irrelevant if you don't build a showcase "Rig of the moth rig".

What do you think?
Old December 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
Rookie

Bump? Is that so obvious nobody that would even explain me why it's so obvious?
Old December 31, 2010, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sorry man don't have that case so can't really say
Old December 31, 2010, 09:28 AM
Rookie

It's not just about the case, it's also about the component choice, actually. Here's a pic of the case:

Side Panel Removed Photo
Old December 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well the only downside to that case is limited space your parts are fine as long as your not plain a big overclock on anything a dual rad will work but once you get overclocking any high heat parts a dual will not handle it.

from the looks of it you may be able to fit a triple rad in the top maybe. but like i said most of your part picks are fine
Old December 31, 2010, 09:44 AM
Rookie

And how about the hot air going through the rad? Like this:
floor -> cool air -> NB -> mosfets -> hot air -> rad -> high temps on the cpu

There's no way to fit a triple in there without modding, and besides, a triple is out of my budget anyway. What about the RS vs RX difference?

Thank you for the input :)
Old December 31, 2010, 10:11 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I don't feel comfortable saying for sure how the setup will work in the 690 case as I have never worked on it.

But if you can mount the rad at the top, with the exhaust out of the case that is fine. it is quite a common setup, and I have done a couple in this way.

I used a triple rad for cpu+gpu cooling. If you are just the cpu the double rad is fine, but it would depend on the heat output of the video card you might add later. Should be OK, if your ambient temps are good.

I have used Feser and SR1 rads as they were available to me. I have not used the rads, or heard of, the ones you are considering.

As for order, it does not matter which order you do your loop. As long as the res is above your pump (as the pump needs to be fed water) you are fine.

So you can go rad->res->pump->cpu and that will be fine.

Here are pics of my setups I did last year. I have changed one of the loops since, but lets you know what little experience I have doing this :)
Post your WaterCooled PC pics here thread
Fold for team #54196
Old December 31, 2010, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya i have never had bad temps by have it setup that way i personal like to go res-pump-rad-block/s-res but it really doesn't matter that much.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
ya i have never had bad temps by have it setup that way i personal like to go res-pump-rad-block/s-res but it really doesn't matter that much.
Yeah my understanding is that the water temps equalize throughout the loop after a few mins, so the order does not matter for temps. Maybe a degree or something directly after the rad if you can do it that way easily, but you are better off having a clean loop with fewer restrictions.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 31, 2010, 11:29 AM
Rookie

I'm not talking about water cooling components order here, but rather about AIR. Please read the original post carefully ;)

Quote:
Like if it's at the top, fans in the exhaust mode, then it's going to suck hot air in and that's not gonna be that effective, right? Now if I mount the rad at the bottom, in the second bay, then the fans are obviously in the intake mode, because bottom (floor) is where the cool air resides (with the terrestrial Newton physics :) at least.) Which is cool for the rad and for the i7 (and the video card), as cooling with cool air :) is effective. But then all this hot exhaust (used) air goes up through the case into the upper exhaust grille and straight onto the VREG and Northbidge, which do suffer badly from this. This looks like a dilemma, doesn't it?