Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
Rookie

Default Corsair H70 in a Raven RV02

Hello Canucks,

Just a qwuick question about getting an H70 water cooler in my raven rv02 case. The way I understand this cooler to work is that the dual fans goo on, and one pulls air IN too the case frm the putside, while the ther exhasts hot air from the ran INTO the case.

This is kind of at odds with my case design because the way the Raven cases work is at a 90 degree rotation which forces air UP.

My thought is that if I'm exhausing hot air into the case, it just buggers up the flow of cool air from the bottom - so is jit possible to flip BOTH fan's around to pull hot air OUT of the rad? and blow outwards?

Has anyone tried this yet?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out :D
Old December 28, 2010, 11:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

My current rad setup is pulling air off the rad and out. So far this seems to have netted me the best results. But I think it would have more to do with the fans more than anything. But Id prob wait to hear from those with a lot more experiance with this than me.
Old December 28, 2010, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

Hmm

Blowing the hot air out is always the best way. Pure and simple.

If you have a way to mod the case to run a fan to exhaust the hot air close to the location of the rad then you're fine, but you need to count the fans in the case, work out how many are 'in' and how many are 'out' and determine if you have a 'matched' airflow there.

If you have a high level of actual airflow in the case, then sometimes it's not as big an issue to have the rad blow some hot air in, if it's moving out quickly enough.

If you have a very low noise and relatively low air flow inside the case, hot air can sit there (to a certain extent) and warm up some of the components a little. How much, and what detrimental effect it may have, are something you'd have to look at and consider.

But I'd always switch the fans around so that cool air is 'in' and hot air is 'out' especially where the rad is concerned. That's a pretty high level of heat to be dumping into a case. Easier to 'tune' your airflow than it is to increase the movement of air to a point where that heat can get out before heating up the parts. besides, faster air means faster (and noisier most of the time) fans.

Only hitch is that if you're pulling warm air into the rad. If the case has fairly hot air from relatively weak airflow, and you use that air to cool the rad, you end up with warmer water than you may want. So the parts in the case are happy, but the cpu and anything else you're using the water for are suffering.

So ideally, the best case is to 'chamber' the rad's air system. Sounds complicated but often all that takes is cutting in one fan where the rad get's it's air. Then you can either get cool air right to the rad, or use it to exhaust the hot air coming from the rad, depending on which way the 'wind is blowing' :D

Gray
Old December 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help guys :D It's been very nice to get some insider opinions!

Does anyone actually have a raven rv02 with either the H50 or H70 setup? It'd be great to see some pictures and/or talk to someone who's set it up because of the very unique airflow of the case.

Basically it's like this:

Three giant ass fans at the bottom of the case pull cool air up into and over the internal components, which are actually all flipped 90 degrees, so air flows upwards and over the components and doesn't mix hot air from the graphics card into the CPU. The pic I've posted shows this - red is the fans on the bottom, and the blue circle at the top is an exhaust fan that pulls hot air off the CPU.

What I'm thiking is that I remove the blue fan, and mount the H70 with both fans on high, blowing upwards. Since the cool air is coming in from the bottom, the fan on the bottom of the rad would blow cool air into the rad, cooling the fluid, and the top fan - still acting as an exhaust - blows the now warm air out.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Old December 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect

That's actually a decent design.

Should provide enough air to cool the Rad well.

the heat from the graphics is going to hit the rad no matter what, but if the airflow rate is high, then it isn't a huge concern, and more so if they vent out the back.

Not all of heat goes backwards, but most of it.

If you have relatively low 'heat dump' in the case, and a good airflow through the case providing ample cool air, then pulling air from the case and out the top is ideal.

That case looks like it doesn't have a lot of 'out' and adding more 'in' to a case with less 'out' isn't great, end up with a bunch of air forced in without a great way to move it out. Creates a 'wind rush' noise when that happens.

So unless you want to add more blowholes and fans on the side panel, for instance, then blowing the air out of the top with your rad fan is probably your best bet.

You're right though, someone who's already set up this case is best to ask. I can only advise on airflow technique on a general level.

Gray
Old December 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's positive air pressure I think. Making your H70 fans exhaust works well because of the many intake fans.