Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2010, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Default TFC 45degree rotary compression fitting leaking..

hey,

I got 2 of the 45 degree rotary fittings leaked from the rotary.. is it defective?

EDIT:

pic

It's the outlet on the pump and inlet on the gpu that's leaking..

Last edited by elton5354; December 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old December 22, 2010, 10:22 PM
Top Prospect

Rotating fittings use an o-ring seal. They're fine if there's not too much force on them, but if it's been put in a place where the other lines are pulling or pushing really hard on it, then it can make them leak even if there's nothing wrong.

For instance, if you've installed it into a loop area where you're attaching a pair of gpu's, and the cards are being pulled or pushed apart by the fittings because the length of line just doesn't match, it could sqish or stretch the fitting, and open up the seal.

Just something you should check, since if you return these and have them replaced and the new ones leak too (because the install just isn't going to quite work) you're no further ahead.

If you could post a pic of where it's going, and if it's the kind of install that's putting a lot of force on something, would help to know for sure.

Some of Asetek's older blocks used o-ring compression fittings and if you didn't have them perfectly straight and no force at all, they'd leak. New stuff is better, but you still have to keep the lines running in a way where they're not trying to tear themselves apart.

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 10:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
Rotating fittings use an o-ring seal. They're fine if there's not too much force on them, but if it's been put in a place where the other lines are pulling or pushing really hard on it, then it can make them leak even if there's nothing wrong.

For instance, if you've installed it into a loop area where you're attaching a pair of gpu's, and the cards are being pulled or pushed apart by the fittings because the length of line just doesn't match, it could sqish or stretch the fitting, and open up the seal.

Just something you should check, since if you return these and have them replaced and the new ones leak too (because the install just isn't going to quite work) you're no further ahead.

If you could post a pic of where it's going, and if it's the kind of install that's putting a lot of force on something, would help to know for sure.

Some of Asetek's older blocks used o-ring compression fittings and if you didn't have them perfectly straight and no force at all, they'd leak. New stuff is better, but you still have to keep the lines running in a way where they're not trying to tear themselves apart.

Gray

hey i think you're right on spot.. there are quite a bit of force to put those 2 together..well so were the rest..but they are fine.. it's just the 2 i mentioned on the OP.

thanks. i guess i need a few more 45 degrees fittings to make things easier to work with ..
Old December 22, 2010, 10:49 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah, sometimes all you need is a small extender or something, so it's able to say at 45 instead of wanting to stretch to 30 or 60 degrees (whichever way it's trying to pull) but at least you have them :)

I haven't watercooled for about 8 years and they just weren't around. I grew up in the days of DIY and if you wanted adapters you went to a plumbing store and modded them to work :p

I like the look of them, definitely looking at making a waterloop when I make a Tower again, whether I need it or not :D

What I would like to see though is a 'flex' format on these too.

The refrigerated coolers have a flexline on them, and you can get really small sizes. Having the ends welded onto something like that would work well and lessen some of the issues with exact angles.

Forget that little evaporator, the little bit of 1/4" flex is stainless steel in there, and can bend pretty sharp.

Seems like a 1-2" flex adapter for the watercooled fittings would be a really handy item :)

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
Top Prospect

Hey I just checked out the pic, looks nice :)

It does look like on a couple of them, they're pulling the components a bit. Nothing serious, but on the rotating fittings even a little can be just enough to pull apart the seal inside.

The green line to the rad looks like the pipe is sitting a bit to one side. If it's not leaking it's fine, but I know the Asetek stuff I was using way back when, would be pouring water out if it was that far over in the fitting :p

So yeah, a few more angle fittings wouldn't be a bad idea. Anywhere it's pulling a bit if you could get the lines to sit square in the fittings you'd be a lot less likely to get a drip in the future.

I had a graphics card die that way, CPU block didn't drip at first but after a couple weeks there was a bit too much pull on a line and it dripped. Got warranty on it (Always play dumb) but took a lot of playing around to make it sit straight.

Gray