Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2010, 06:15 AM
Top Prospect

Default Gray's 'Showcase' of phase cooling

Since people have asked about what I may have done in the past, I thought I'd make a post of some of them. In the move back from England, some photos were lost, but this is a few of them :)

'Showcase' is a strong word :p but I guess that's what it is?

Big Rotary bencher - 'Xmas Box'

Tall Rotary bencher in a case with el wire

Big Rotary bencher with upsized condensor and CPEV (adjustable load) - 'Mr. Fugly'

V2000 Lian Li kit with perspex mount and lighting

Case mod cooler, lowered upper plate and phase install

Dual display case with quiet compressor (was a dual graphics before the swap)

Lian Li kit with 'tinsel' braid and dual condensor

Lian Li kit in black and blue

Silver small under case unit with display

Bunch of the cases I used to use a lot

Black unit with perspex mount and lights - Custom controller

Lian Li kit with green el wire and perspex lit mount

Cool dual head for a Team Japan member - Northbridge/Southbridge benching cooler

Lian Li kit with blue lighting and lit perspex mount plate

Black unit, purple lighting and custom controller

Basic quiet bencher with a switch

That's what I could find of units I've made over the years. Lian Li's V2000 case was a popular mod, and I really enjoyed them, most of the guys wanted to have a side window and I wasn't going to let them show off an ugly cooler.

Most of them if they're in a case, they're good and solid but not pretty like those. No need if there's a case, just need to be built right.

Hope you enjoyed the eye candy :)

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

nice stuff ! really interesting

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
MVP

Incredible work! Know where to go for advice if I ever get around to trying something like this instead of just sticking my rig out in a snowbank.
Old December 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wicked love some of your setups we will be talking hopefully sooner then later eh
Old December 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
Top Prospect

Thank you :)

The Lian Li builds were a big favorite for me, makes me sad that they stopped making them. I'm not sure if there is still a case like the V2000 that allows for a phase cooler to go in the bottom easily.

The cooler itself was always the easy part, and making it pretty was tougher. I had to make sure everything was sleeved if it would be visible, and really got into the lighting to make it more of a 'mod' than just a build.

I just found out that the guy who used to make those perspex mount setups is still making them which is cool. They cost a lot, but it's hard to get the same effect with just a perspex plate. I've done both and they look way nicer. The ones you see up there that create a 'ring' of light on the mount are his.

I have one left here from before, and I'm trying to save it for the cooler I'll be making for me :) I can't decide on exact specs for it though. Not easy.

Probably like the guys who do water cooling for other people, they want to do something special but have so much choice that it's hard to make a choice?

When I do, it'll be with one of those, with lighting and all that. Will have to be a quiet system.

I may look and see if there's a used V2000 or 210 out there I can pick up for it. I loved those, really easy to make a nice setup. Very much worth cutting a custom window into them, to show off the cooler as well.

It's funny though, you can build so much variety into something like this, like anything really. most of the time lately, people don't go for a 'fulltime' cooler, and it's just for benching. Big rotaries and it doesn't need to be pretty which is a shame.

I do miss the days when people were trying to make it into real part of the build. Becomes an accessory, like tubing with UV or a nicely sleeved PSU.

Gray
Old December 22, 2010, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's more what Cmetaphor and I were talking about in the other thread, more of an everyday use situation than for extreme benching. There's some very nice units there Gray. You understand that looks are just as important as function to a lot of folks.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

got to get " 30h6 " to look at some of these pics. some one poke him so he can drool

Edit: keyboards acting up and my spelling doesn't help
Old December 22, 2010, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
That's more what Cmetaphor and I were talking about in the other thread, more of an everyday use situation than for extreme benching. There's some very nice units there Gray. You understand that looks are just as important as function to a lot of folks.

I got pretty weird for a while about not being willing to build anything that wasn't really pretty but you get to realise that some guys just don't care about that, it's just for benching and there really is no need for them to have something cool. Just cold.

Sold that tall on close to the top, to a guy on XS who traded me a couple of smaller units that needed some work to do high load. They were pretty rough but it didn't matter to him.

He was pretty impressed and a bit shocked at how it looked. Actually said he'd be proud to take it to his friend's place for benching which is kind of cool :) guess he didn't realise that a nice looking phase changer was possible in something that was a rotary compressor system.

But yeah, always figured that it could be an 'addition' to a system. Just like some of the cool watercooling stuff. Not 'just' because you need better cooling, but to make a mod into something different and give it a distinctive look.

Next while, I'll put together something for you guys since that's what you like to see.

I have a project put to the side that was almost done, but the compressor was a bit big. Great temps but louder than I wanted in a cooler like it. Built on the small box design but a really high load cooler.

When it's done, I'll get it to you, J, since you're pretty close and you can try it out if you want.

I've got an EL wire kit left in blue, and I'll make sure it's got a perspex plate that'll work on the i5/i7 stuff.

Just got a bigger but really quiet compressor in, one of the Danfoss ones. Used to use them a lot when I could get them cheaper, about the best really.

Might be a bit cold for you ;) but at least it would show the higher noise level of the quieter systems.

I guess though I really do need to make up my own Tower at some point too. Funny how I make 'em, but since I don't have anything but the laptop I can't really 'show' them off attached to anything. I have a case and a gtx480 and a bunch of little things, but that's not quite enough to make much

Gray
Old December 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't make it up just for me Gray. While I'd like to see one of your units in operation, my budget won't stand any major hits right now.
Old December 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
Top Prospect

Meh, money isn't really the issue, though Xmas hits everyone hard, even the fridge guys :D

I mean, as long as you're happy to give it a go, you can just have it for a while and see what you think.

More of a review sample?

Just a lot more interesting to get feedback I guess.

Besides, lets me 'show off' a little :D

I just finally got the Cascade sorted out, the leak is gone and it's back to 100% :) so I can finish that one off and get on to other things. I wanted to make sure it was ok before I moved on, but I think I have 4 or 5 units at least that are 'set aside' right now, so I should really finish them.

One is exactly what I was talking about for you guys (and you specifically) to see.

I made a cooler with two condensors, so that the fans could be really low speed quiet ones. Once I chop in one of the really quiet compressors, it's pretty much ready to try out. I was hoping to get a control system on it, but the ones I have are all busted :p

not really an issue, can just stick something on to show the temp for now, and just get it to you. Can also help with the insulation and install too. Just means you have to be willing to freeze something :D :D

But if you have a chip you've only watercooled and oc'd but having frozen it would be pretty interesting to see how far it'd go with phase. Sometimes they don't oc much over water and some will go way higher. Mixed bag really.

But it could just be that I could show it to you, once it's together enough to at least see and hear what they're like. Over at XS most guys know what they're like and it's kind of neat to have 'fresh eyes' to see the stuff.

When the cascade's ready, will have to show it to you :D I know in the pics it's cool and all, but actually seeing -100c is neat. To me, anyways. Wouldn't make you stick that on your cpu though, there's always a risk of damage, whatever you're freezing I guess, but -100 is getting to that point where you've got to be willing to accept the risk of immediate chip death :o just like the dry ice and LN2 benchers. For a regular overclocker it's a bit much and for anyone that doesn't have spare cpu's (guys on LN2 usually try to have at least a couple there in case of emergency) it's kinda asking for it.

But don't worry, would never push anyone into buying anything. Just would be cool to see it on your rig.

Besides, when I make a cooler, it ends up selling eventually. Quiet ones usually go pretty fast anyway. But if you're up for doing a 'review' on one, you're welcome to it.

Gray