Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 11:46 AM

My System Specs

0o0oo0 that EL wire looks interesting. I've never seen that done before.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
0o0oo0 that EL wire looks interesting. I've never seen that done before.
I remember the first time I did it, and I think I was the first to do it on a phaser.

I saw it on a waterloop and though it looked cool. So I didn't really invent the idea, just stole it like everyone else :D

Spiral and X are the only two kinds of layout that ever worked for me. I tried it just straight lines, but as soon as you have to bend the flexline it goes a bit funky and you end up with wiggly lines :S so it didn't look how I wanted.

I guess if you got really creative with the glue you might be able to do some really cool stuff with it. Like sign your name or put the name of the build on it. that would be really cool, but getting a glue that'll hold well is tough, and finding one that goes totally clear isn't easy either. Dipping crazy glue and slowly working the EL might do it. A black super glue would be awesome though.

The braid over it does hide a lot though, so it can work well.

I have a blue one and a purple one left here I think.

The one I'm thinking of giving to J, I already have a plate made up in clear perspex and blue LED's so probably will match the EL wire in blue.

I'm a sucker for shiney things and flashing lights :D

Gray
Old December 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
Top Prospect

Well I got the 'guts' together for the 'Imma gonna show off to J' unit :D

I used the 'twin turbo' unit I made up, and just installed the larger quiet compressor I had sitting loose here.

It's a 1/4hp rated compressor but it's rated R12, and that's usually underrated compared to newer type refrigeration gasses. I'd be inclined to say it's 1/3hp, but it's a 'Matsus/hita' compressor and they're terrible for not giving you any real specs on a compressor, sometimes they tell you the cc's but no HP rating, sometimes the HP but not what it's actually sized at. Annoying.

But I just did a bit of load testing (Xmas is more about keeping my mind off Xmas) and the result with it was great.

Considering this unit is pretty much 100% 'reclaimed' parts it's quite surprising. Compressor from a fridge, condensor chopped and rebrazed from a portable AC, fans from...well I can't remember.

Stuff like the access valves and filter are new, they really have to be, but even the pipe is blasted and reused from a water cooler (the refrigerant pipes, not water pipes) so it's a real example of how well it can work if you're a good scrounger and have time on your hands.

The case is a new one though, last of the nice cases I used to get. Black, with a precut for a display.

The only controller I had is dead though, sending it out to Greece for the guy that made it to fix. I'm going to get some more from him though, finances allowing. They're $100 each though, so it's tough to budget. I mean, you spend where and when you have to so it's a nice build, but that ends up being 'one of those things' that you can't really avoid. Besides, his are some of the least expensive and few available. Another guy is just starting to make controllers too, but closer to $200 so it's the best I can do.

I don't want to wait, though, so I'll probably throw on a temp display and switch for J to see :) It's pretty nice looking, but the PC controller system rocks. The display is a blue LCD on those ones, and they control the PC, switching it on when the temp is where you set it so they're a nice addition, just a bit more work to wire, and the whole extra hundred bucks. That's just the controller though, no shipping or wiring costs added. I don't really care about that side of it, but they usually add $120 to 130 depending on the conversion from Euros and the cost to ship. I try if possible to get a few when I do get them, to cut the cost.

So back on track, the 'twin turbo' project...

Bit of a mess in there, sorry. I haven't cleaned anything up, just the basic install at the moment and the case covers everything when it's on anyways.

It was a test of sorts, high load means lots of condensor power, and the twin turbo name is just based on having two condensors.

Something like having 2 rads in a tight space that won't allow for a larger single, but in refrigeration you're actually cooling the hot gas in the first, then the actual condensing (changing to liquid) happens in the next one.

Getting a large enough condensor into a small case is tough, and a single condensor is a bit limited even if you use a big one, since the heat is moving through a relatively thick area in those, and you don't get the same performance. Kind of the same as if I had these stacked together, the one would be heating up the other and the performance of the second one is cut in half in the process.

So I put one on each end, both pulling air in. The case top will have venting on the sides for the air to get out, and cool the compressor with air as well.

The result with the compressor in the picture was pretty amazing, and I was able to get it to hold over 500w of heat! First time I tuned a unit to do that. For fun and the experiment it was useful but as a unit, 350w covers pretty much right up to the latest 6 cores without a problem so that's where this one is now.

I'll post pics when the case is assembled with display, but the results are decent for the smaller compressor, and more in line with what a quiet user wants.

The compressor is very quiet, like a very quiet fridge running. When I set the fans a bit lower and have the case assembled it's more like the quiet hum of a water pump than a fridge compressor so I was suitably impressed by it.

20 to 30db is my estimation. Something that you might actually handle sleeping next to. Very slightly louder under the full load, like if you ran 24/7 folding or something on an i7 980x. Quad core load (260w) testing was closer to the 20db mark, and even lower just running with no load.

Temperatures ran about -21c at 350w and that really impressed me for a quiet compressor. The big one that was in it was about -35c at 350w but 40 to 50db. Great bencher, lousy 24/7 cooler.

At 260w or quad core load, -25c was the result, so for most running the folding thing, should overclock very well but not be so cold that you need crazy insulation, just the usual standard. The soft art erasers work well in this case, for a 'base' to use with the foam ring method.

At 200w it was -28c. That's around dual core maxed out load, maybe higher.

0w or with it just running off, was down to -40.

So really an ideal unit to show you J :) Cold, but not mega so the insulation side of it is fairly easy, and runs safe for 24/7 use. Hope you like the noise too. I was pleasantly surprised. That, and since it's among the louder and colder units in the range of noise level it'll give you an idea of what they do and how.

Time to sleep though, or Santa won't visit (not that he does, I've always been bad)

I'll post some pics when it looks pretty though. I have a bit of work redoing that line and making up an LED plate for it :D

Gray
Old December 28, 2010, 02:57 AM
Top Prospect

Well other than the probe for the temperature display, this one is done.

And she is quiet! I'm acutally considering a slight change to the airflow, since the layout of the fans is creating a very slight wind rush that's louder than the compressor. It's marginal, but I've got 2 80mm fan guards installed and the 120's are pushing just a hair more than the holes will allow a noise free passage of air.

But I think if just switch the back fan to it's usualy position, it should still pick up cool air from the breather hole and get rid of the noise.

It's almost inaudible otherwise. When there is no load to around 200w, the compressor is very hard to hear. At very high load (Folding on 4-6 cores) there is a noise but if you had fans in the PC that were higher flow, it would drown out the compressor.

One of the quietest I've ever heard :)

So I'm pretty happy with that, and with the case assembled it's not to bad to look at either. I'm going to wait for the sensor so I can get the line fully done before I get pics though. Unless it looks like a week or something, then I may just do a quick finish on the line so I can take some pics.

I don't think this one will be a 'full review' unit to show to J, but I do want to show it in action to him, just as a tease really :D it's actually quite amazingly quiet that way. I was a bit shocked myself, exceeded any expectations I had.

Runs pretty cold, at the -20c 350w (6 core) and -40c 0w range but it's the silent operation that I like best.

I ended up with time on my hands, since I'm waiting, and I've put together a second silent one based on the same configuration. I've got to set up the fans for quiet operation, they're just on a 12v psu, since I only finished the build, but it's a Danfoss NL9 compressor, which is the 'benchmark' for quiet/cold units. I'd like to do a little head to head with these 2 as far as performance vs. noise levels, since they're of similar size and power. The danfoss has the edge on size, but the other one has the more powerful condensor cooling.

So it should be an interesting comparison.

The other is built into a Vapochill case I got as a trade in on another cooler, but was missing side panels. I had a V2000 panel kicking around, and cut it into 2 pieces and they fit very well. Actually match the black annodised case, so almost like they were made for it.

My 'Hong kong' displays are still a couple of weeks away so unless I'm lucky, this one will have to wait for them to arrive but the performance testing will start tomorrow and I'll post some data and pics then if all goes well.

But I figured I'd make up a couple of 24/7 units to show you guys, and really it'd be cool to show them to J and see if they're worth the effort of a write up anyways.

Both of them are actually turning out to be pretty sweet looking. I was hoping to find something to finish the vapo case and I'd forgotten I had that panel so it's worked out great!

Will update tomorrow with some real info and of course, some pics. Pics are the really important thing i guess :D

Gray