Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2010, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

Default Extreme cooling?

Alongside the cooler I'm posting, I figured it would be good to ask if it's ok for posting the more extreme refrigerated coolers here.

I make a lot of them, sometimes selling them but for the most part it's really just the fun of making them. I used to overclock and run benchmarking programs a lot, but got hooked on building the coolers for that stuff.

If you happen to have an extreme cooling section that I didn't see, could someone tell me where it is?

Otherwise, hope it's ok :)

Gray
Old December 21, 2010, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no extreme cooling section but i don't think anyone here would mind you posting them there's a few members who do the hardcore cooling thing i myself have only mess around with it a little but i plan on more in the future he he
Old December 21, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

We always like to see chillers set up. I say bring them on ! With pictures !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 21, 2010, 07:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This area of the forums is fine for your Phase Change posts. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions.
Old December 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

Don't mind a bit :)

Oh hey, just noticed you're my neighbor there J :D

I'm in North Delta!

Guess I better behave, you could probably throw a rock through my window from where you are :D
Old December 21, 2010, 08:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Cool! I'm in Cloverdale, I'd have to have really strong arms to throw a rock that far.

I'd like to see one of these units in operation some day. I was impressed with the finished Xmas box project. How loud are they while they are running?
Old December 21, 2010, 10:48 AM
Top Prospect

Hehe

Yeah, maybe some day if you're into it, could get you over to see 'em. I don't get a lot people coming down to check them out :)

The rotary compressors are noisy, no way around that, but they're more about benchmarks and scores than a daily use kind of thing.

I'm working on another unit that's pretty cool though. I'll have to post it.

I built a 'cage' setup for a 4 compressor system using really small compressors that's really quiet. Set it up for 3 graphics cards and one CPU cooler and it's total noise is around 20db. I'm hoping when I get the panels made up, it blocks the noise and is almost silent.

Not as cold, but the CPU part of it work at -20 or so with 300w (quad core max load) so it's pretty good. The GPU compressors are smaller still, but when they're tuned they should max out around 200 to 225w. That should be enough for a pretty good overclock, and probably run around -5 apiece with that load.

I like to play with both the super cold noisy stuff and the quiet setups too. Both have uses and are interesting in their own way :)

Yeah, I think I'll post that one, it's pretty weird looking to some but it's easy to imagine it on a PC the way it's built.

Gray
Old December 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hey there Gray, welcome to the forums (Since I haven't said it yet)

Really liked your drum fan setup in the chiller you posted - is it a quieter option? Honestly noise is the biggest reason why I never got the Asetek Lightspeed or similar phase changers.

If you make em, I might be a customer in the future .

Also, another question (SugarJ warned you, lol): With condensation always being a problem when using chiller of this type, is there some way to create a chiller that say... holds the CPU temp or chiller block temp at ambient constantly? It wouldn't be as useful for extreme benching purposes, but if it can keep say a 4.5Ghz or higher proc at ambient temps then id be an instant customer, lol. It also (tying in with my previous question) would probably be less noisy and wouldnt have any condensation problem then as well.

Thanks!
Old December 21, 2010, 11:10 AM
Top Prospect

yeah, have a look at the quad compressor I just posted, that's the sort of thing as far as still 'extreme' temperatures, but very quiet operation.

It's actually just 4 coolers that are in the same box, and the condensor is split into 4 channels so making one on it's own is fine with them, and they work on their own so could shut off any or all of them the way it's set up.

Chillers (for water, if I understand you correctly) can easily be set up for that. A basic controller, and especially if you have a larger reservior, keeps the water temp wherever you set it. So you can get the water to stay at or just under ambient to stay away from the condensation problems. Insulation works, but it's a lot easier to work without it.

A very good water cooler can do the same though, hard to to say if it's 'worth it' in terms of the cost of the cooler vs a good water radiator (don't know how close to ambient they'll get these days) but a good cooler can also be pretty quiet if it's made well out of the right parts.

Using multiple small super quiet compressors instead of one larger noisy one is usually the way to go for low noise. It also makes it pretty good on power too. If you get the right controller, there's some that can control multi compressor systems, so it only runs the one for idle work, then switches more on as the load (and temp) increase. An intersting mod, since for some people the cost of daily use can add up.

That large quad is a good example though, each small circuit runs around 100 to 150 watts of power use, or the equiv. of one standard light bulb. Not much, but 24 hours a day can add up so keeping that lower for someone using it all the time gets more important.

But yeah, when it comes down to it, if there's a particular way a person needs a cooler to work, there's always a way to make that happen :) Finding solutions to different needs makes it more interesting as well. I don't often build the same cooler twice (I'm not really into 'production line' thinking) because it's way more fun to take on new and different projects. Keeps it fun, and always a challenge :)

Gray
Old December 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Didnt necessarily mean water chiller, either works i suppose, but i meant phase.

The problem with water loops is 1) the water, and plumbing (which i really dont like doing) and 2) the noise.
To keep a heavily overclocked CPU anywhere near ambient temps you'd need lots of Rad, lots of tubing... loud fans... etc... Whereas a very quiet, self-controlled phase unit (with its one big "pipe" going to the CPU - correct me on my terms, ive never done phase change work) could keep the CPU at ambient much more easily, with a much easier install (Cut big hole. Insert "pipe". ____ . Profit!)

My question really is, can it be done? Can a phase cooler be made quiet enough and intelligent enough so to replace my Air cooler and get better overclocks, without adding to the noise?