Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like you have a lot of interest here and in your other threads Gray. And yes, maybe sometime in the New Year I can make arrangements to view one of your units in action.

And I'm interested in CMetaphor's question as well. I don't do extreme benchmarking, but if you could set a temp that the unit would hold setady without fear of condensation with a "quietness" factor built in (with the option for maximum cooling), I think you'd find a home for a few units.
Old December 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would love something like this.

I've never seen it available for purchase in Canada.

Thermaltake Xpressar - World's First DC Inverter Type Micro Refrigeration Cooling System

I'll all for contained units within my computer.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Dam ST, never knew that existed Really nice looking.

But I think I'd rather give my business to gray, and keep my money in Canada (since Thermaltake only sells those in the USA i think).
Old December 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect

Well that's cool :D

I never knew TT made a cooler :) Looks a bit more like a PSU though :D

I used to build the coolers into the bottom of the V2000's. Those were awesome, will have to dig up some pics of that.

But the box on the bottom type design is pretty easy to build and not bad for making it 'part of the tower' kinda thing :)

OCZ still makes coolers I think, and there's the cooler express ones. I don't know if they actually 'retail' in Canada, but there's still a couple of manufacturers doing phase :)

Gray
Old December 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Dam ST, never knew that existed Really nice looking.

But I think I'd rather give my business to gray, and keep my money in Canada (since Thermaltake only sells those in the USA i think).

Why thank you :)

Though I'm not really here to 'drum up business'.

I tend more toward building them, then seeing if they sell or not.

I just think it's great to have a canadian forum, don't know why I haven't come here before.

Funny, when I post a cooler I make, sometimes the convo goes way way off topic and I don't mind. The direction it goes and the ideas that come up make it much better and sometimes you get views that make the next project happen.

So if someone likes a commercial cooler better that's ok :)

Fact is, if someone likes one and I can help them to know what specs, or if it'll do what they need (quad core is a real bone on some, a lot aren't tuned for it) I don't mind.

Uh oh, running late :O better get my Xmas shopping done or I'll be in trubble.

Gray
Old December 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Awww Dam. I think some of us were hoping to put you to work

So you just make them for fun then see if they sell? Hmmm. Could work I guess.

... Or you could trademark your own small business in custom-building phase change setups? You'll get a few orders from us right away, lol. And nothing spreads amongst techies like cool tech they haven't seen before
Old December 21, 2010, 04:44 PM
Top Prospect

Oh yeah sorry. Guess it's hard to say clearly.

Yes, most of what build is for other people. Just that I try not to get into the prepaid order thing.

I did so much of that when I lived in the uk so now I mOstly build, then sell.

Besides, I don't want to roll in and start peddling my wares. I love the fridges and like it when I post and get feedback, that's the best part.

'course now I knOw u guys like the quiet stuff, I have some really quiet compressors here :D

I'll make One up and show J what they're like for noise.

Happy to make whatever u guys like but I didnt sign up just to sell stuff. Bugs me when guys do that so I don't want to be one of those guys :p

Still out shopping. Hate Xmas shopping :p
Old December 21, 2010, 04:52 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray mole View Post
Oh yeah sorry. Guess it's hard to say clearly.

Yes, most of what build is for other people. Just that I try not to get into the prepaid order thing.
Well how can one of us ask you to build a silent solution like this without compensating you somehow first? If it's me I'd probably at least give you a down payment or something.

Quote:
'course now I knOw u guys like the quiet stuff, I have some really quiet compressors here :D

I'll make One up and show J what they're like for noise.
We'll be sure to bug SugarJ for his opinions once he sees one them

Quote:
Happy to make whatever u guys like but I didnt sign up just to sell stuff. Bugs me when guys do that so I don't want to be one of those guys :p
Don't worry, we already know you're not like that

Quote:
Still out shopping. Hate Xmas shopping :p
Just finished my shopping today.... and not a moment too soon... But now I need to wrap and i hate that too. I just like giving gifts, not wrapping them or fighting traffic to buy them for people, lol.
Old December 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

Well finally back and the keyboard :D I hate that iphone though it's pretty handy sometimes.

So yeah, basically what I've been doing now, I just build and sell. In that order.

I was in the UK (bad marriage) for a number of years and did a huge amount of it, but the pressure gets pretty harsh. I mean, it's cool since a person isn't bugging you because of trust, it's just being excited about the new cooler :) but when you have like 5 or 10 guys at a time that are excited, well that gets pretty nerve wracking at times. That and my marriage going sour, well, I was a bug.

Now I don't do the downpayment thing. At least, except for really serious stuff. I mean, if someone's getting me to make a 3 stage cascade specifically for them and it's 1000 bucks in parts that I don't have here, well, that's a bit much.

But just a cooler, no big. I have pretty much everything here. That, and if they have to pull out (it happens) it's there and I can sell it anyways :) so there's no stress. I like that.

So as far as quiet stuff goes, that quad thing is about the perfect example of how small and quiet you can get really.

Most guys don't tune the little ones that high, but the GPU heads are tuned for up to dual core load and then some at 225w. The CPU one on that is a 1/5hp compressor, so still really small, and tuned for 300w. That's quad load easy.

Stuff this small struggles over that, so a bit of a boost and you're into 6 core land. 1/4 1/3hp, but I don't know if anyone's seen a Prometeia in person? That compressor is 1/3hp Danfoss :D best one out there for good power but very quiet. That's really the best 350w 6 core machine if you still want a quiet cooler.

Just got one of those compressors, and a 1/4hp Danfoss as well that should do 6 core at a decent temp. Really nice when you can get 'em, they're like 300 bucks new, so you get 'em when you can :D

I rarely buy compressors new, and when I can I get them from fridges, freezers, anything to keep the cost down. If you can make a cooler for 400 bucks or so that would cost 800 if you bought the stuff from a shop, well the math says...

I have a really nice one here that I've been waiting for a good compressor. I'll throw it together and see if J wants to try it out :) He's local and if he's got a quad it'd be a really nice test :) A load tester tells you where the wattage is, but it's different on a PC. Much much cooler that way :D

But yeah, if a person wanted something that's quiet they can totally be done.

Oh yeah :p that 'ambient' question.

On a 'direct die' (that's the copper block method, direct to the cpu) it's just not that feasible. Maybe with a really 'warm' gas you can get closer but really if you're doing around -30 or warmer at idle, and more like -10 load, then all you ever need is the neoprene foam on it. It's awkward making a seal at times, more so now that the caps are so much more in the way, but not too hard really.

I can cut them but every board is different, not so easy to just make them if you don't know the exact layout. Having the board is a lot easier.

I'll try to find some old pics of install guides I was making. basically start with a paper cutout of the area around the cpu, and then transfer that to the foam. Makes it pretty easy, compared to 'freehanding' that's for sure.

Wow, too much for one post. Have to try to break it up a bit.

I have some results from the testing on that quad unit, gonna post 'em :D

Gray