Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Laing D5 12V Variable Speed Pump - Cases/Sound reduction.

Hello all,

I need some help with my Laing D5 12V Pump, at the moment I have a Hose clamp holding the tubing onto
the intake and a zip tie holding the tubing onto the out-take sides of the pump, now the hose clamp side has
never leaked but the zip tie side always has quite a few times and continues to.. but at such a small amount
that it is perfectly fine to continue using it at the rate it leaks at least for a while.

I am looking for a case for the pump that enables me to attach compression fittings to it so I can secure both pipes without having to worry about a leak..

I also would like this case to reduce the vibrations and sound of the pump. - Not that it is very loud but without proper sound/vibration dampening material it can get quite annoying.

I have had a look at a few cases for pumps but I want to get something that has been recommended by
someone that has used it before to tell me how it is.. don't want to drop money on something that has
a loose part on it that makes a horrible sound when combined with the vibration or something lol.

Thanks as always!
Old December 10, 2010, 02:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Just thought I would add this:
EK-D5 X-TOP - Black Acetal G1/4 Rev.2 EK-D5 X-TOP [EK-D5 X-TOP] - $39.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

This is the one I would really like to get because EK is a brand I know and it also advertises Increased flow, Pressure & Reduces sound.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am using the EK dual top and like it very much. I would say go for the EK. As to sound dampening, is your D5 the adjustable one? I have 3 of them and they are all very quiet on settings 1-2.5. How/where are you mounting the pump in your case? If you mount it in a 5.25 bay, use some rubber isolators, and if you are mounting it on the bottom of the case use a foam adhesive pad. I am pretty sure my D5's (switech 655 actually) all came with a 1/4 - 5-16" thick double adhesive pad.

I dunno how thick this sheet is, but you can always double up.
NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone SF01 Sound Dampening Acoustic Foam Pads 2 Sheets 21X15IN - RL-SF01 In Canada.

...Or get another hose clamp?
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011

Last edited by dustin1706; December 10, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

how old is the pump ? return for warranty due to unbalanced impeller roto. use gear clamps on both ends, why would allow to leak ? can tap out for G1/4 fittings or get another top
Old December 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The problem is I have no sound dampening, well.. I have a rubber grommet (the ones you run tubing through in cases) the pump is sitting on top of one of those. So don't take this as a bad mark on the pump (anyone reading)
I just have not bothered to install it properly.

Thanks for the sound dampening foam Dustin, Cant order from NCIX but I will know what to ask for now. I think I will get the EK one.. Looks good enough to me and comes with a nice looking base to mount it on it looks a little
more "low profile" than the custom one, Just need to paint it black and because of it's shape applying the foam will be easy. Also the reason I don't want another hose clamp is because I have none left and I don't like the way
they look at all so going out and buying another seems like a waste of time when I am just going to order a new case & compression fittings.

KaptCrunch, I suppose I am letting it leak, but I have wrapped some black electrical tape around the leaking hose, the leak is so small that it is literally a tiny drop appears every two or three days.. It is not in a dangerous place
either it could make a puddle and not damage any hardware, but that will not even happen because I have placed a little kitchen paper under it so it gets absorbed instantly.

I am starting to think the cons of water cooling are out weighing the pro's, I live in Australia so the ambient is always pretty warm where I live and a friend with a similar build gets temps only a few deg higher than my own on air..
although his PC does sound like a vacuum haha.

Anyway thanks for the responses guys!
Old December 10, 2010, 04:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Watercooling is definitely expensive, but the biggest Pro to me is the silence. I have 2 Overclocked video cards and a 930 @ 4.0 and the PC can barely be heard in a silent room. In fact, once I am about 10 feet away it is inaudible.

In my basement here in Alberta, I have 18*C winter and 21*C average ambient temps. My old Q6600 actually idles at about 22* with an EK Supreme HF and 2x120 rad.
Oh, and no killer bugs or snakes lol. But shoveling 18 inches of snow today sucked.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old December 10, 2010, 04:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I do enjoy the silence of water cooling (other than the recent vibration problem). 26' Celsius outside today, which is kind of the norm.. so like 27-30 in my room without the aircon on which is pretty common, I get idle 30-35 lol..
Though with the air-con turned on I get down to below 30 on a day like today and on a nice cold day I have gotten down to 19. This is with a Heatkiller 3.0 on a 360mm Rad lol..

The bugs & reptiles are not a problem to me compared to the heat, I think I am just not made for it.. I actually plan to move to Canada one day, shovelling snow will keep me fit! haha.