Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Question about using distilled water as a coolant (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/38676-question-about-using-distilled-water-coolant.html)

matari December 7, 2010 08:48 AM

Question about using distilled water as a coolant

I am considering changing the type of coolant I use for my water cooling setup. I currently am using EC6, and considering using just distilled water and biocide, but I have several questions about doing so. Most modern CPU blocks use a stainless steel jet plate while the rest of the body is made from copper/brass/nickel. My question is, if I used distilled and simple biocide, will corrosion occur because of the stainless steel jet plate? If not, why?

MpG December 7, 2010 09:30 AM

No worries, stainless is a non-issue for corrosion in system. It's fairly far away from copper/brass on the galvanization table, but it also falls into the "inactive" category, much like gold and silver. I wish there was a more useful table outlining that, but I have yet to find it correlated as hard numbers. Aluminum and regular steel/iron are the red flags we need to be on the lookout for.

matsta31 December 7, 2010 09:53 AM

I dont know about periodic table and all. But I have been using distillated water with different biocide (PT Nuke, silver, etc...) for 3 years, and never had any corrosion occur.

Eldonko December 7, 2010 10:24 AM

You will be fine with distilled.

matari December 7, 2010 10:33 AM

Cool, I used Google to confirm that SS is listed towards the inactive side of corrosion. It would be interesting to the see the numbers. Another question, I was going to use PT Nuke for my biocide, but Eddy from EK issued a pending void warranty with using this product in their reservoirs. My second choice is to use silver, but there are parts of the loop (reservoir top and bottom) where the flow of water is next to nonexistent. So what then, can I use for a biocide?

Rison December 7, 2010 10:35 AM

I use bitspower silver plated barbs + Swiftech Hydrx. Has worked for me for the last few years.

Edit - and flush regularly.. every 3-6 months.

Eldonko December 7, 2010 10:40 AM

Ive ran H20 for 7 years and I just use distilled water or a mix of distilled water and this stuff: NCIX.com - Buy Primochill PC Pure Extreme Water Replacement Coolant 32OZ - Clear - 897337001080 In Canada.

Never had an issue with anything growing in my loop and I have never touched biocide of any kind.

Today a lot of tubing contains a biocide (primochill) and anything silver plated helps as well.

AmuseMe December 8, 2010 08:25 AM

Kill coil and distilled - 'nuff said.

lowfat December 8, 2010 08:36 AM

Primoflex tubing is antimicrobial but does not contain a biocide. So it will not help your blocks at all. I am also a fan of just straight distilled. As long as you change it once in a while you should be fine.

AmuseMe December 8, 2010 08:41 AM

An it's like $1 for a gallon at shoppers drug mart. 0PPM - that's better than Dasani!