Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2010, 12:37 AM
Restricted Poster

Default Custom-made waterblock

Hey guys. I've been thinking about starting to watercool my system, but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on it just yet. It'd be best if I could get a watercooling setup going for about 200 bucks- without gpu watercooling.

So to save money, I've decided to make my own waterblock. The problem is, I'm new to watercooling and I have no idea how a waterblock works, or how I would go about making one. I have googled for many hours on waterblocks but I still don't really understand how it works. During my googling, I saw a lot of different kind of designs for the inside of the waterblock. Which design would be the best? I work with CNC machines, milling machines, etc. as a part of my career, and I can do just about anything with cutting metal.

If someone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! If you've made your own waterblock before, pictures would be sweet.
Old December 7, 2010, 01:16 AM
Banned
F@H

well..picture a chamber tru which there is flow. now in this chamber you better have some 'fins' or rather ridges to maximize the surface area that gets in contact with the liquid. picture a flood going tru a forest or some pillars or such.

then focus on the flow. the easier it goes tru the better.

and then seal the chamber, add your fittings and stuff, make a bracket to go with your cpu/gpu and then take it from there. who knows, in a while you may have a business based on it, if it sells well and of course performs

me and a bud built a couple way back in the day, we had issues mating the two pieces together lol for no leaks.
Old December 7, 2010, 01:54 AM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well..picture a chamber tru which there is flow. now in this chamber you better have some 'fins' or rather ridges to maximize the surface area that gets in contact with the liquid. picture a flood going tru a forest or some pillars or such.

then focus on the flow. the easier it goes tru the better.

and then seal the chamber, add your fittings and stuff, make a bracket to go with your cpu/gpu and then take it from there. who knows, in a while you may have a business based on it, if it sells well and of course performs

me and a bud built a couple way back in the day, we had issues mating the two pieces together lol for no leaks.
I was actually thinking about that the other day. If maybe I could build a successful waterblock, maybe I can start selling. I mean, I have all the right tools and machines and everything!

The thing is, how can I achieve the lowest temperature possible? I've thought about drilling a maze kind of thing from the sides of the block- I hope you know what I mean-, and filling the holes back up, so I don't have to worry about bonding pieces of copper together and worry about leaking. But I'm not sure if that would work. Know any waterblocks made like that?

If anyone wants to have their waterblock idea made (actually, anything that involves cutting metal for that matter), I can definitely make it and ship it to you for a very small price!
Old December 7, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

This isn't me trying to sound arogant, and if I do, I apologies :lol: My take on this is that you will not be able to make a waterblock that will be on par with the best ones ot there currently - impossible though? No? You have the machines and tools, so maybe, just maybe you could.

Just take a look at the internals on some of the blocks out there like: HeatKiller 3.0, EK Supreme HF :)

Good luck bro!
Old December 7, 2010, 10:38 AM
Restricted Poster

Thanks for the comment; not arrogant at all. I know I probably can't make anything up to par with some of the waterblocks out there, but I'm just trying to try and make it the best I can. The main priority for me here is to save money at the moment. And then maybe I'll try and move on to improving the performance after I get used making waterblocks and get to understand how heat dissipation works.

I'll will take your advice and look at the internals of some waterblocks now. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old December 7, 2010, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on how fine/precise the tools you have are. Current waterblocks use rather thin lines/dots/matrices/whatever to optimize surface area without impeding water flow too significantly.

If you Google "custom waterblock" or similar, you'll find lots of results.

It definitely isn't an easy task, but can be rewarding in the end to say that you made it yourself
Old December 7, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

As back up plan you can get complete XSPC rasa kit, which will be under your $200 target.

As block goes, you can try either make some sort of pin matrix chamber to maximize your surface area or make few water channels under the top, so water run at high pressure trough them. You can make it work for fun of it.
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; December 7, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old December 7, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

rad+pump+block buy used off here and it's quite cheap. good luck it's hard to make good blocks it can be done but it's pricey was going to do it myself till i priced it out not worth it in. just my 2 cents.
Old December 7, 2010, 01:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To elaborate a bit, the idea behind the pin matrix is to maximize the surface area in contact with your fluid, so as to maximize the heat transferred from the block. The grooved type seem to rely more on high-pressure build up, which increases the flow rate at which the fluid crosses the surface.

If I were making one myself, I'd make a staggered array of pins, with as many pins as possible as tall as possible (to force the fluid to go through the pin matrix, rather that just flow over the top).
Old December 11, 2010, 06:34 AM
MVP

As I understand it, its all about turbulence. More turbulence without restricting flow too much is what you are looking for.

Tags
custom , diy , homemade , waterblock , watercooling