Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2007, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Default Air Pressure inside of Antec P182?

Hello all,

I'm planning on building a new system within the next 2 months or so and I am going to be using the Antec P182 case with Scythe S-FLEX fans (1600 RPM on the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU heatsink, 2x 1200 RPM for exhaust, 1x 800 RPM on the front of the case and 1x 800 RPM fan for the hard drive bay/lower chamber area).

My question is, I know this will create negative air pressure within the case, which will draw dust in. If I place a filter on the front fan, will this keep most of the dust out, or no?

Thanks for your help and advise.
Old December 30, 2007, 09:25 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The re-useable filters included on both front fans of the P180/P182 work very well. Remember to clean them often though.
Old December 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The re-useable filters included on both front fans of the P180/P182 work very well. Remember to clean them often though.
The P182 comes with filters on the front fans? I didn't know this, that's awesome, saves me from having to buy a new set of filters to put on the fans.
Old December 30, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
The P182 comes with filters on the front fans? I didn't know this, that's awesome, saves me from having to buy a new set of filters to put on the fans.
Yup there are two hinged doors behind the main door that have a spring mechanism to pop them out and the filters just pop out.
Old December 30, 2007, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Good to see you'll be getting off to a good start with that case - ditching those tri-cool fans! The Antec filters are a pretty good balance between airflow and effectiveness, but they're not going to get everything, especially if you're in a dusty environment.

It isn't simply a matter of negative case pressure 'magically' drawing dust in. If you have negative pressure, some air will be entering the case through openings other than the intake fans. Which means that it's basically impossible to filter all the air coming in, which creates the possibility of dust getting into the case. Aside from the front filter, the next big candidate for intake is probably going to be those slotted expansion slot covers, followed by any gaps in the 5 1/4" drive bays. How much of a problem this is will depend on your environment you're operating in.
Old December 30, 2007, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Good to see you'll be getting off to a good start with that case - ditching those tri-cool fans! The Antec filters are a pretty good balance between airflow and effectiveness, but they're not going to get everything, especially if you're in a dusty environment.

It isn't simply a matter of negative case pressure 'magically' drawing dust in. If you have negative pressure, some air will be entering the case through openings other than the intake fans. Which means that it's basically impossible to filter all the air coming in, which creates the possibility of dust getting into the case. Aside from the front filter, the next big candidate for intake is probably going to be those slotted expansion slot covers, followed by any gaps in the 5 1/4" drive bays. How much of a problem this is will depend on your environment you're operating in.
I heard that the TriCools are loud after a while and my friend has the P180 and said the same thing so I thought I'd replace them. I want this system to be as well cooled as possible without using water cooling, which is why I thought of negative pressure in the case. The room the system will be in has a lot of dust in it sometimes but I plan on having the tower on the desk so that should curb some of that at least. Should I replace the expansion slot covers with non-open ones? I can't see much dust getting in through the gaps on the front though.
Old December 30, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

You're probably not going have too much trouble with the front bays, but air WILL come in through the expansion slot covers, and after a bit, you'll probably see little specks of dust collect on your video card.

The I did some low-tech testing in my own P190 by using a feather and kleenex to check for airflow under different fan combinations, and it's surprising how much air can get sucked in through the little gaps all over the case when you've got negative case pressure. In your case, even swapping one of the 1200 rpm exhaust fans for the 800 rpm intake might help even things out a little.
Old December 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
You're probably not going have too much trouble with the front bays, but air WILL come in through the expansion slot covers, and after a bit, you'll probably see little specks of dust collect on your video card.

The I did some low-tech testing in my own P190 by using a feather and kleenex to check for airflow under different fan combinations, and it's surprising how much air can get sucked in through the little gaps all over the case when you've got negative case pressure. In your case, even swapping one of the 1200 rpm exhaust fans for the 800 rpm intake might help even things out a little.
Hm, so if I swap the top exhaust with an 800 RPM fan instead of the 1200 (so it doesn't shoot out dust all over everything else I suppose :P), then I should be fine? Does NCIX or any other retailers carry PCI expansion slot covers that would fit the case decently? It would probably be a good idea to get those vents covered over if I plan on using negative pressure, right?

(Sorry if I seem a bit noobish, I haven't built a system in almost a year and I'm a bit behind on the times.. haha. P.S.: Nice site, I've been lurking around for a while but decided to register to be part of the community)
Old December 30, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Hm, so if I swap the top exhaust with an 800 RPM fan instead of the 1200 (so it doesn't shoot out dust all over everything else I suppose :P), then I should be fine? Does NCIX or any other retailers carry PCI expansion slot covers that would fit the case decently? It would probably be a good idea to get those vents covered over if I plan on using negative pressure, right?

(Sorry if I seem a bit noobish, I haven't built a system in almost a year and I'm a bit behind on the times.. haha. P.S.: Nice site, I've been lurking around for a while but decided to register to be part of the community)
He meant the spots where you put your optical drives and such.
Old December 30, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sorry, I meant take one of the 1200 rpm exhaust fans, and the 800 rpm intake fan, and switch them. That way, you'll be pulling in more air through the filter.

As far as your front openings are concerned, even putting a strip of tape across the backs of the panels can help things. The expansion slot covers, haven't seen them specifically, but I'm sure somebody sells them. I know the original P180 covers are solid and interchangeable, if you happen to know someone with the case. Scotch tape on the backs is a cheap solution, and is pretty much invisible unless you're looking for it.