Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Newbie Water Cooling Build -- Opinions? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/3856-newbie-water-cooling-build-opinions.html)

tehgooch December 29, 2007 05:39 PM

Newbie Water Cooling Build -- Opinions?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I'm fairly new to water cooling, so I was hoping a few of you water-cooling veterans could look over my build and possibly suggest a better setup before I purchase everything. I appreciate any replys :).

I've read a bunch of WC FAQs and tried to build the best loop I could. Tubing is absent since I can't seem to find any 1/2" tubing or clamps online. A trip to Home Hardware / Home Depot / Whatever should fix that.

Main Stuff:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: ASUS P5N32-E SLI - Seemed to be the only nice SLI motherboard. I have been recommended the newer 780i and am very tempted to switch to it.
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 - This should overclock like a mofo, right? Not sure if i want to go 4GB since I'll only be using XP 32-bit.
VC: 2x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS Crysis Edition 512MB - :punk::clap::thumb::biggrin:
HD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 500GB in RAID5
HD: 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB in RAID0 - These are probably overkill. I'm tempted to remove one or both of them due to cost.
PSU: Silverstone Zeus ST75ZF 750W
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 Pt
ODD: Samsung SH-S203N Black SATA
Card Reader: nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ07-B Black E-ATX Aluminum Case

I threw in a few Antec Spot Cool fans for cooling the ram and chipset. I also grabbed a couple tubes of MX-7.

And now the water cooling stuff:

CPU Block: D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block - This seems to be VERY popular.
VGA Block(s): 2x EK-FC88 w/ Acetal Top (Going to have to order this direct from EK)
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 12V - Changed to this from the -B version since it is stuck on the fourth speed setting.
Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir - Seemed to be the only one available that wasn't gigantic.
Radiator: Thermochill Pa 120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator - From what I can tell this will fit nicely in my TJ-07 without much modding. Not sure if I can keep the HDD cages?
Fittings: Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads - These look to be the only fittings that will work with the Pa 120.3!
Accessories: Water Accelerator Nozzle Kit for D-TEK Fuzion CPU Block - These are a nice cheap add-on that will improve performance.
Fittings: Danger Den Cooling System Fillport Black W/ Wrench - I figure I'll put a T by the pump and stick this in the top of my case. Or can I somehow attach it to the res?
Biocide: Pts Petra PT_NUKE Concentrated Biocide - Since I don't have any mixed metals this is all I should need for additives, right?
Dye: D-TEK Customs Liquid F/X UV Dye Water Cooling Additive Yellow - Yes, I know, it looks slightly like urine. I like the colour yellow though. Can anyone suggest something that doesn't quite look like urine? I was looking at the alien green, which is kind of yellow-ish.
Fans: 3-5x Yate-Loon fans - These should cool down that Pa 120.3 nicely :lol: Also looking at a few for the HD cages.

I've attached a drawing of my planned loop: Pump > Rad > GPU > GPU > CPU > Res > Pump. Can anyone suggest a better loop? I chose to put the GPUs first to keep tubing length down. Not sure if that was the best choice.

I'm guessing I won't be able to fit the hard drive cages underneath if I put the rad there. Is it possible to mount them in the 5.25" bay?

Estimated Cost @ NCIX Before Taxes and Shipping: $3,527.88
Estimated Cost After Price Matching: $3,055.17

3.0charlie December 29, 2007 06:14 PM

First off, welcome! Second, I believe you did your homeworks. Here are my answers:

- of all the hardware, I have 2 comments: I would try to hold on as long as you can before buying the Quad and wait for the new CPUs that are around the corner; and I would keep both Raptors. Overkill? Yes. That's the point.

- SpotCools are great in a wc rig, since airflow is at a minimum. But why a couple of MX-7 paste tubes? For a new build, one tube is plenty.

- WC parts: no NB block? You should. Helps a lot in oc'ing. All your parts are great choices, no problem there. Your loop is fine too. I don't think you'll have any space left for the HDDs next to the rad; on my Lian-li, there is an adaptor that allows HDDs to be installed in the 5.25" bays. Maybe Silverstone has something similar too.

You will have one heck of a rig. Take your time while doing the assembly and enjoy it!

MpG December 29, 2007 06:26 PM

You'll run into clearance problems against the PSU with the radiator pointed that way. The PA 120.3 is almost as wide as a PSU, so you'll only have about 3-4 cm space between the fittings and the PSU, in which you need to fit the barb AND turn the tubing. Also, if at all possible, you want the CPU block to be the first stop after the radiator, and the reservoir to lead right into the pump.

Here's a nice picture to look at.

Or something like this, maybe. Sorry for the mess, I did it freehand. The pump is behind the rad, and there's room for the PSU's cables to come out.

3.0charlie December 29, 2007 06:34 PM

Damn MpG, you're right. I didn't see the clearance problem between the pump and the PSU. As for the loop, usually pump-rad-cpu is better, but the OP wanted as little tubing as possible. Speaking of tubing: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=164. The Swiftech 7/16", the Masterkleer 7/16" and the Danger Den 1/2" are all possible choices. The 7/16" is tighter against the barbs, more difficult to install but provides a better seal too.

tehgooch December 29, 2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 32231)
First off, welcome! Second, I believe you did your homeworks. Here are my answers:

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:

- of all the hardware, I have 2 comments: I would try to hold on as long as you can before buying the Quad and wait for the new CPUs that are around the corner

I've been holding out a long time already. I tend to just buy new stuff when I need it rather than play the infinite waiting game. I'll look into it, but I don't really want to wait much longer.

Current system:
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ S939 @ Stock w/ Arctic Freezer 64 (my proc doesn't like to overclock :( )
Mobo: Asus A8N5X (It was the only S939 PCIe mobo I could get at the time)
RAM: OCZ Value DDR400 2GB Dual Channel Kit
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512MB
Case: Antec P180 original
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (I'll be moving this over to the new rig since a new one will not be much better. Can anyone suggest a soundcard that does onboard processing that works with linux? I would really like to ditch this X-Fi that doesn't do linux.)
Monitor: Samsung 225BW 22" Widescreen (This will be moving over as well)
Speakers: Logitech X-530s (These will be moving over as well. I don't use them much)
Mouse: Logitech G7 'Carbon' (This will be moving over as well)
Keyboard: Logitech G11 (This will be moving over as well)

Quote:

and I would keep both Raptors. Overkill? Yes. That's the point.

I'm having trouble justifying the price to myself though. :doh:

Quote:

- SpotCools are great in a wc rig, since airflow is at a minimum. But why a couple of MX-7 paste tubes? For a new build, one tube is plenty.

Hah, I've got TIM coming out my ass already too! I like to have lots handy since I tend to need it in the heat of the moment :haha:.

Quote:

- WC parts: no NB block? You should. Helps a lot in oc'ing.

I couldn't really find a good one for the board I chose. I would really like to get my hands on an eVGA 780i board and a NB cooler. Would that be too much for one loop?

Quote:

All your parts are great choices, no problem there. Your loop is fine too.

Thanks, it's nice to know I didn't do something horribly wrong :ph34r:.

Quote:

I don't think you'll have any space left for the HDDs next to the rad; on my Lian-li, there is an adaptor that allows HDDs to be installed in the 5.25" bays. Maybe Silverstone has something similar too.

I'll have to look into it.

Quote:

You will have one heck of a rig. Take your time while doing the assembly and enjoy it!

I've been planning / reading up for the better part of a week so far. I am going to set aside a weekend to do the build. I'll take lots of pics :thumb:.

MpG December 29, 2007 06:40 PM

Well, his way has a long trip from the reservoir to the pump, my way has a long trip from the rad to the CPU block. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, I suppose. But even with good flow, those cards are definitely going to bump the coolant temp up a couple degrees beforehand.

tehgooch December 29, 2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 32233)
You'll run into clearance problems against the PSU with the radiator pointed that way. The PA 120.3 is almost as wide as a PSU, so you'll only have about 3-4 cm space between the fittings and the PSU, in which you need to fit the barb AND turn the tubing. Also, if at all possible, you want the CPU block to be the first stop after the radiator, and the reservoir to lead right into the pump.

Hey, thanks for spotting that problem :thumb:.

Quote:

Here's a nice picture to look at.

Thanks, those should help when I'm setting it up!

Quote:

Or something like this, maybe. Sorry for the mess, I did it freehand. The pump is behind the rad, and there's room for the PSU's cables to come out.

I'll probably place the res a little higher so it's the highest point in the loop, but that should work well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 32234)
Damn MpG, you're right. I didn't see the clearance problem between the pump and the PSU. As for the loop, usually pump-rad-cpu is better, but the OP wanted as little tubing as possible. Speaking of tubing: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=164. The Swiftech 7/16", the Masterkleer 7/16" and the Danger Den 1/2" are all possible choices. The 7/16" is tighter against the barbs, more difficult to install but provides a better seal too.

Is it really worth the extra tubing to have the CPU first in the loop?

I'm leaning to the 7/16" tubing to prevent leaks. Thanks for the suggestions.

3.0charlie December 29, 2007 06:48 PM

If you wish to lower the price, change the 74Gb Raptors for the 37Gb model.
Adding a NB block to the loop is not a problem heat-wise. Couple of choices: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech and http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Water%20Blocks. I like the EK since the barbs are offset from the center; it helps with the block orientation, especially in SLI.

3.0charlie December 29, 2007 06:58 PM

The 7/16" is really worth it, and is easier to install too with tighter bends.
It is worth it to have the CPU first, as it is the most crucial component in the loop.
Hose clamps are here: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech. I love those with the Swiftech 7/16" tubing. Clean, black and tightens the tubing quite well.

tehgooch December 29, 2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 32238)
If you wish to lower the price, change the 74Gb Raptors for the 37Gb model.

I don't think the 37GB model is available anymore.

Quote:

Adding a NB block to the loop is not a problem heat-wise. Couple of choices: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech and http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Water%20Blocks. I like the EK since the barbs are offset from the center; it helps with the block orientation, especially in SLI.

Hm, I'll have to take a look at those. Thanks for the suggestions.

-EDIT-
Appears that EK doesn't make any block that explicitly support the P5N-T Deluxe or the motherboard I posted above.
-/EDIT-

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 32242)
The 7/16" is really worth it, and is easier to install too with tighter bends.

Ok, you've sold me, unless someone has a major negative...

Quote:

It is worth it to have the CPU first, as it is the most crucial component in the loop.

Well, I guess it's not really that much different either way.

Quote:

Hose clamps are here: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech. I love those with the Swiftech 7/16" tubing. Clean, black and tightens the tubing quite well.

I'd rather not go with plastic clamps. I'll probably pick up some smooth band bolts or preferably some self-tightening clamps (which look like the best to me).