Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2010, 12:28 AM

My System Specs

Different tops for the MCP655 barely have an affect on performance. You can gain up to .2 GPM depending on the top. They are mostly for aethethics. On the other hand for the MCP355, a top can make a rather large difference.

And FYI 3/8ID 5/8OD Primoflex will stretch over 1/2" fittings. Hell it can even stretch over 5/8" fittings with enough force and hot water.
Old December 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
Would you guys still recommend a top? everyone is saying you get better efficiency/performance/aesthetics. Thoughts? and if so, any preferable tops?
Last I looked I believe it was a 5-7% increasing in performance for the EK top V2, as I said in PM you can always cut the stock 655 fittings and tap the pump for G1/4 fittings. Very easy to do if you have a tap and a hacksaw.

EDIT:
Quote:
And FYI 3/8ID 5/8OD Primoflex will stretch over 1/2" fittings. Hell it can even stretch over 5/8" fittings with enough force and hot water.
I tried with Feser 3/8 and gave up, maybe I should have used boiling water instead of just hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Last edited by Supergrover; December 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old December 2, 2010, 12:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Heh, ok. When I was talking to you before about the tubing and fittings. thats the stuff you recommended. So should I just go with 1/2" fittings for tighter fit or try to stick to the 3/8"?
Old December 2, 2010, 12:43 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
EDIT:
I tried with Feser 3/8 and gave up, maybe I should have used boiling water instead of just hot water.
The difference in stretchability is huge between using hot water and boiling water from a kettle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
Heh, ok. When I was talking to you before about the tubing and fittings. thats the stuff you recommended. So should I just go with 1/2" fittings for tighter fit or try to stick to the 3/8"?
I would use the bitspower 3/8" fittings. Spending hours stretching tubing makes your hands (well at least my girly hands) extremely sore. Not worth the time. The Primoflex tubing is rather sticky. I've never had it pull off a barb ever, actually I have to almost always pry it off the tubing to get it off. Every time I've had a leak with it was because it was so tight to started to pull the fitting loose if the tubing was applied to the fitting w/ a twist to it.
Old December 2, 2010, 12:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Alright guys. Thanks for all this info, very helpful. I am exhausted and heading to bed. Im sure I will have more questions once I start putting the loop together and finalizing components. Cheers !
Old December 2, 2010, 01:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

sorry to thread hijack here , would putting one of those on my mcp655 increase performance especially with 2 radiators in one loop?
Old December 2, 2010, 01:50 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
sorry to thread hijack here , would putting one of those on my mcp655 increase performance especially with 2 radiators in one loop?
Not likely. Added flow doesn't really help unless you are dropping below ~ 1GPM. Radiators add almost no restriction.
Old December 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

What causes the most restriction? is it the actual blocks that reduce it the most or the fittings?
Old December 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's definitely the blocks. Although, some blocks are significantly more restrictive than the rest.

And for the record, 90 degree elbows and fittings are NOT that bad lol.
Old December 2, 2010, 03:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
It's definitely the blocks. Although, some blocks are significantly more restrictive than the rest.

And for the record, 90 degree elbows and fittings are NOT that bad lol.

Agreed! The waterblocks are your biggest source of restriction. But, depending on exactly which and how many radiators you have, they can be a source of restriction as well. Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

From an oilfield background, when doing quick and dirty friction loss calculations There are some pretty widely accepted shortcuts. Of course it depends greatly on the radius of the elbows, but this is easier than getting the engineering data and doing "real" maths.

d = inner diameter of pipe / tubing. input units = output units.

90* elbow = 30d
45* elbow = 20d
Straight through a T = 15d
90* turn in a T = 60d

So for example, a 90* fitting in a 1/2" ID system would be equivalent to 15" of tubing. Mind you, for watercooling this is a conservative calculation as most fittings(Bitspower anyway) have an ID closer to .4" rather than a full .5" ID.