Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default New to Water cooling!

Hey everyone! I'm looking to try out some water cooling as the next step however I don't really know what is good and what isn't! Any help is greatly appreciated. I apologize if these threads come up all too often.

Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Currently using an Ultra ChillTEC Thermo Electric Cooler)
2x2048 OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
XFX HD5770 1GB
Antec 300 (Willing to switch to a larger case if needed to fit the components)
Corsair TX650w PSU

If you need anymore information, please let me know!

Thank you!

-Slaughter
Old November 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Fitting a watercooler into that 300 is going to involve a lot of cutting and modification. Ive got a 300 as its been my fav case for a very long time. I can post some pics of what I had to do to get a watercooler in it properly later on.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Hey everyone! I'm looking to try out some water cooling as the next step however I don't really know what is good and what isn't! Any help is greatly appreciated. I apologize if these threads come up all too often.

Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Currently using an Ultra ChillTEC Thermo Electric Cooler)
2x2048 OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
XFX HD5770 1GB
Antec 300 (Willing to switch to a larger case if needed to fit the components)
Corsair TX650w PSU

If you need anymore information, please let me know!

Thank you!

-Slaughter

Welcome the forums, and no need to appoligize for bringing this topic up again. Everyone who is new to it or has questions are more than welcome to post them. That is what we are here for.

Now I have 1 Question and 1 Suggestion for you.

Are you going to be overclocking your CPU and is that why you want to go WC'ing? Or are you just looking for something that is quieter (because some sealed systems like the H50 and Coolit Eco might be best, I use both)

As for my suggest I would invest in some ENZOTECH MOFSET coolers regardless of which way you end up going to help keep the Power Delivery cool on that board NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech MOS-C1 Exceptional Heat Dissipation for Integrated Mosfet Motherboards & Video Cards - MOS-C1 In Canada.

And even perhaps add a Antec Spot Cool to help keep airflow over that area.

My thoughts at least, I'll let the WC'ing Guru's chime in on the actual Water Cooling side.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 22, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Here is some quick thinking :

you dont have much choice when it come to CPU waterblock and AMD.

My favorite block, because of the easy monting mechanism (mind you, I never used the amd mechanism...) and the pricing :
Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - DirectCanada XT&manufacture=SWIFTECH come with 1366 mounting.

you will need to buy this :

Swiftech APOGEE XT Hold Down Adapter Plate for Mounting On LGA771/AM2/AM3 - DirectCanada

Other cpu blocks, more expensive, and might have a better performance by a couple of degrees :

AMD : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

I dont think a 5770 is very hot, so I would not watercool it,

You will need a radiator, and in canada stock are limited right now. If you want to go budget the primary choice is the swiftech series that comes in lots of different size, MCR120-240-320-420. starting from the 320 it wont fit an antec 300 internally. Even 240 would be pushing it. You could mount it externally, with a swiftech radbox or the equivalent made by Koolance.
320 :
Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - DirectCanada or go to DAZ for some XSPC (I never tried that particular brand)
220 :
Swiftech MCR220 Quiet Power Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded - DirectCanada

the other choice, more expensive, thicker and better performing by a margin. Altough if you only cool the CPU, the MCR220 or mcr320 is more than enough (I cant find the 220 in stock in Canada) :

Buy The Best High Performance Water Cooling Radiators in Canada - scoll down for the TFC rads.

Pump wise, the favorite are the MCP655 and mcp350-355. The 355/350 has a smaller footprint, but will require that you buy a custom top if you want to use tubing of 1/2 and 3/8.

there is some available on the HWC for sale :

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/34974-pa120-3-mcp355s-hdd-encl.html

he is also selling some thermochill rad, wich is good quality rad. Altough, they have the 25 mm spacing, it is irrevelent if you mouint it out of the case, but If you want internal, this might become a problem.

Tubing wise : Buy 1/2 ID liquid cooling tubing in Canada 1/2 inch

Buy 3/8 ID liquid cooling tubing in Canada 3/8 inch

I have built with both and personnaly I find the 3/8 easier to manipulate in tight corner. But seeing the rigs aroung here, it looks like 1/2 inch is more popular.

Depending on the tubing you will need regular barbs and/or compression fittings or 3/8 or 1/2. Compression fittings are prettier and I find them easier to use, but are really more expensive.

Finally, the end of the quick tou,r the decison of using a reservoir or a t-Line for filling/draining the loop. I started using T line at the beginning, but swiftly switched to Reservoir since bleeding becomes almost painless.

cheapest multipurpose reservoir :

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings - DirectCanada Rev2&manufacture=SWIFTECH

for a bit more money tyou can also find resevoir and pump top combo, like this one :

EK-DDC X-RES 140 - Acetal DDC Top-Reservoir Combo EK-DDC X-RES 140 - Acetal DDC Top-Reservoir Combo [EK-DDC X-RES 140] - $59.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

It comes iin many flavour, just have a look at dazmode selection and/or Ncix. If you do buy at ncix, never forget to price match,. Ncix sister comapany are really cheaper on watercooling material.

Good luck !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Wow! Let me start off by saying thank you very much!

All great responses and with detail! Very helpful!

I'm looking at water cooling with both noise reduction and overclocking in my mind. I'll definitely use the information that was given here to start piecing together my setup and will put up a log as I go along.

I may end up swapping cases to save myself some trouble.

Again, thank you very much for your help!! Glad to see there are still some people who are willing to take the time to help someone out!
Old November 22, 2010, 08:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

One word of advice, the MCP355 is noisy. If you're going for silence, it's not the pump to use.

The rest of the watercooling game I don't want to get into. All I know is I've spent far too much money on it
Old November 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
One word of advice, the MCP355 is noisy. If you're going for silence, it's not the pump to use.

The rest of the watercooling game I don't want to get into. All I know is I've spent far too much money on it
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind :P
Old November 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perhaps you can start with XSPC Rasa kit with extra AMD kit. It is not perfect, but in has everything in to cool CPU loop. You can improve over time on more expensive components( which is lots of fun). For the start this is pretty good and save you from pains of initial learning curve.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old November 24, 2010, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

hmmm what you call noisy? any recording of pump running
Old November 24, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

For the new DDC3.2 models you can actually run them at 7V and they quiet up pretty well. The old MCP355 (DDC2) with the orange impeller is more noisy than a 3.2 IMO.

I've been running mine at 12V and as long as they're soft mounted and have sufficient slack on the tubing they're pretty darn quiet. The key is to minimize the transmission of the pump vibration (through the mount and through the tubing).

The only pumps from my experience that are less noisy than a DDC3.2 are: Eheim 1048, D-Tek db-1, MCP655@lowest setting

The flexibility of a DDC3.2 makes it a winner for me. Replacement tops (stock top makes it have a very small footprint), ability to mod it down to a 3.1, ability to run it at 7V.

Agreed on the Swiftech choice for radiator, they're cheap and do the job well. A MCR320 w/three slow fans can cool a 4GHZ i7, mobo chipset, and 5870 no problems. I recommend Scythe S-Flex fans as they're not too expensive, last long (fluid bearings), and are very quiet when you hit 600 RPM.

If you use 1/2" barbs, 3/8" ID Primoflex LRT (expensive stuff) fit on it very snug. I use steam to soften the tubing and slightly lubricate the tubing for it to push on to 1/2" BitsPower barbs (they're fatter than EK barbs).