Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2010, 04:16 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Here is some quick thinking :

you dont have much choice when it come to CPU waterblock and AMD.

My favorite block, because of the easy monting mechanism (mind you, I never used the amd mechanism...) and the pricing :
Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - DirectCanada XT&manufacture=SWIFTECH come with 1366 mounting.
Swell it is back in stock.
Old November 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Welcome to a possibly very expensive addiction!

For someone new to W/C, I recommend reading some of Skinee labs reviews. he does some thorough testing on blocks and rads. Skinnee Labs | CPU Blocks

Firstly, you need to decide if you want to water cool just your CPU or your GPU also. If you decide on just the CPU, then you can go with an "all in one" kit like the H50 or coolit eco, or with a conventional "pieced together" watercooling system.

If you are going to piece it together, then you have a lot of choices!
For the CPU block, I am a big fan of the EK supreme HF. EK, Swiftech, Koolance, and Danger Den all make decent GPU blocks. Then you need to pick some tubing (3/8 or 1/2"), fittings (barbed or compression), pump (Generally a 350, 355, or 655 and possibly an aftermarket pump top) and a reservoir(bay mounted, or other) Be aware of what your components are made of internally. If you mix say a copper waterblock with an aluminum rad (not recommended), you will need a corrosion inhibitor in your fluid as well.

Most of these things really come down to personal preference. You'll have people saying that compressions are better than barbs etc. but as long as you're careful, take your time and leak test, it's all good. People will also tell you that 1/2" ID is better than 3/8 , but since the majority of your restriction is in your rad and blocks, it is really not a big deal. If you are using a pump with a stock top that has non removable barbs, just go with whatever size that is instead of trying to use reducers etc.

One choice that I think is critical though, is your Rad choice. Different radiators will have different fin densities. If you want less noise, you will want a low density rad with slow fans. If you want extreme cooling, you want a high density rad with fast fans as illustrated on the chart on this page Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

Also, a bigger case will help you out, but be creative and think outside the box for mounting locations for your W/C system. IE: you can cut new holes in the case for your radiator, or even mount it outside the case with a bracket on the back. The possibilities are basically endless.

As far as fluids go, you will see things like primochill ICE and Fesser ONE, as well as different dyes and additives. They claim cooling gains, but really distilled water with a biocide like "NUKE - cu" and possibly a silver coil (silver has antibacterial properties) is a cheaper and better choice. UV lights help kill bacteria too Dyes are tempting, but they lose their colour over time and that colour usually ends up as restrictive slime in your waterblocks. In one of my systems I actually use half and half water and automotive antifreeze (green ethylene glycol). This acts as a biocide, antifreeze (pc is in my garage), and corrosion inhibitor, and has a cool green colour

To buy your parts, I recommended Dazmode, NCIX, Sidewinder PCs, pertrastechshop and frozencpu.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and as to the pump noise question.. I am running a very quiet PC. 1000 rpm nexus and noctua fans, a Zalman PS(physically huge with internal heatsinks = dead silent) and the cpu, mobo and video cards are all liquid cooled. In my last pc I used a themaltake pump :( and it was quite noisy. This time I bought a 355 and a 655(the adjustable one) and tried them both. I found that the 655 was not only much quieter, but it was a less noticeable pitch as well if that makes any sense. The 355 ended up going in a small garden fountain lol, and I got a second 655. Below setting 3 you can hear them if you open the case and put your ear within a foot or so, but from any farther they are silent once the air is worked out of the system. I later read right on swiftechs site that it says that the 355 is much noisier than the 350 or the 655. I've never tried a 350, so I can't comment on it.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old November 24, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a 350 and a 655. I can't hear the 350 that I have now, it's quite quiet. The 655 was a little bit louder if I set it to 5, but it was very quiet at 3 or lower. I never compared them side by side, but either of them would be a good choice IMO.
Old November 25, 2010, 06:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
Welcome to a possibly very expensive addiction!

For someone new to W/C, I recommend reading some of Skinee labs reviews. he does some thorough testing on blocks and rads. Skinnee Labs | CPU Blocks

Firstly, you need to decide if you want to water cool just your CPU or your GPU also. If you decide on just the CPU, then you can go with an "all in one" kit like the H50 or coolit eco, or with a conventional "pieced together" watercooling system.

If you are going to piece it together, then you have a lot of choices!
For the CPU block, I am a big fan of the EK supreme HF. EK, Swiftech, Koolance, and Danger Den all make decent GPU blocks. Then you need to pick some tubing (3/8 or 1/2"), fittings (barbed or compression), pump (Generally a 350, 355, or 655 and possibly an aftermarket pump top) and a reservoir(bay mounted, or other) Be aware of what your components are made of internally. If you mix say a copper waterblock with an aluminum rad (not recommended), you will need a corrosion inhibitor in your fluid as well.

Most of these things really come down to personal preference. You'll have people saying that compressions are better than barbs etc. but as long as you're careful, take your time and leak test, it's all good. People will also tell you that 1/2" ID is better than 3/8 , but since the majority of your restriction is in your rad and blocks, it is really not a big deal. If you are using a pump with a stock top that has non removable barbs, just go with whatever size that is instead of trying to use reducers etc.

One choice that I think is critical though, is your Rad choice. Different radiators will have different fin densities. If you want less noise, you will want a low density rad with slow fans. If you want extreme cooling, you want a high density rad with fast fans as illustrated on the chart on this page Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

Also, a bigger case will help you out, but be creative and think outside the box for mounting locations for your W/C system. IE: you can cut new holes in the case for your radiator, or even mount it outside the case with a bracket on the back. The possibilities are basically endless.

As far as fluids go, you will see things like primochill ICE and Fesser ONE, as well as different dyes and additives. They claim cooling gains, but really distilled water with a biocide like "NUKE - cu" and possibly a silver coil (silver has antibacterial properties) is a cheaper and better choice. UV lights help kill bacteria too Dyes are tempting, but they lose their colour over time and that colour usually ends up as restrictive slime in your waterblocks. In one of my systems I actually use half and half water and automotive antifreeze (green ethylene glycol). This acts as a biocide, antifreeze (pc is in my garage), and corrosion inhibitor, and has a cool green colour

To buy your parts, I recommended Dazmode, NCIX, Sidewinder PCs, pertrastechshop and frozencpu.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and as to the pump noise question.. I am running a very quiet PC. 1000 rpm nexus and noctua fans, a Zalman PS(physically huge with internal heatsinks = dead silent) and the cpu, mobo and video cards are all liquid cooled. In my last pc I used a themaltake pump :( and it was quite noisy. This time I bought a 355 and a 655(the adjustable one) and tried them both. I found that the 655 was not only much quieter, but it was a less noticeable pitch as well if that makes any sense. The 355 ended up going in a small garden fountain lol, and I got a second 655. Below setting 3 you can hear them if you open the case and put your ear within a foot or so, but from any farther they are silent once the air is worked out of the system. I later read right on swiftechs site that it says that the 355 is much noisier than the 350 or the 655. I've never tried a 350, so I can't comment on it.
That's a great load of information as well! Thank you very much!

Would you be able to post some pictures of your setup? Sounds interesting.. :)

I am looking at picking up a 700D / 800D before starting this build. :)
Old November 25, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you are lucky, 800 D is 199 at ncix right, quick before the sell out !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 25, 2010, 07:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
you are lucky, 800 D is 199 at ncix right, quick before the sell out !
I saw that right after I posted. $229 before $30 Mail-In but still a good price. Woo!
Old November 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
That's a great load of information as well! Thank you very much!

Would you be able to post some pictures of your setup? Sounds interesting.. :)

I am looking at picking up a 700D / 800D before starting this build. :)
No problem bro. I tend to always write more than I intend to lol.

The 700d/800d are great cases to build in. Tons of room, great cable management and sweet tooless side panels. I forgot to mention that you should browse the "water cooled Picture gallery" There are some seriously sweet HWC member rigs. At least check out the last few dozen pages to see the newest blocks and cases. Post your WaterCooled PC pics here thread

I also, forgot to mention that IF you choose to liquid cool your GPU, you have a choice of Single or Dual loop. With just one CPU and one GPU you can run: A single pump in one large loop OR 2 pumps in series in a single loop OR 2 pumps on two separate loops. Dual pumps on a single loop gives you redundancy in case one pump fails. But, 2 pumps in series will NOT double your flow rate. Running two loops with one pump per loop will give you more overall flow rate than series pumps, but without the redundancy. Again, the configuration is up to you and is just another case of personal preference.

I still have to put some UV lights in mine, not to mention make a pump/res mount and a support for the "divider"... using a roll of hockey tape and a cd case for now lol. Also, excuse the poor lighting, I just snapped a pic with my pc under my desk, no tripod or anything, poor lighting etc.

And my old system, now in the garage to run a CNC and play some tunes, though this pic is before I installed a 5850 and cleaned it up a bit.

Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old November 26, 2010, 09:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice.. Not too sure what kind of a setup I'll end up running but I do like the sounds of running two pumps on a single loop for a failsafe method.

Picked up my 800D last night and overall I am very satisfied! Very easy to create a clean install. Everything looks good with the exception of my motherboard as it is slightly smaller than a standard ATX and doesn't reach the front mounts. Not the end of the world, but I just have to be careful not to bend the board too much on the one side.

Much quieter than my old 300 and definitely feature rich especially at $199. :)

I've noticed that watercooling the Ram is not very common. Is it not really necessary?
Old November 26, 2010, 12:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Both ram and hdd coolers are very small and create high restrictions in your loop. It is also completely unnecessary and offers no performance gains. Older ram didn't even have heatsinks, but the newer stuff does and just requires a bit of airflow to keep cool. A motherboard waterblock though, wil keep your northbridge and southbridge cool, without a noisy 40mm fan like lots of manufacturers use.

Also, if you do decide to go dual pump single loop, you can either string your pumps together with tubing, or you can get something like an ek dualtop or similar. I'd be tempted to go with something like this actually. Had this been available when I did my build I would have used it.

RP-450X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-450/S Pumps - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

A koolance 450 is the same as a swiftech 655 which is also the same as a D5. they just rebrand the same pump...

Last edited by dustin1706; November 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 26, 2010, 12:46 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post

RP-450X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir for 1-2 PMP-450/S Pumps - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

A koolance 450 is the same as a swiftech 655 which is also the same as a D5. they just rebrand the same pump...
It is a very attractive looking pump res, but the fact that it is for parallel loops only kind of blows. I really hope they make a series version in the future. As well as a version for the DDC.