Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
hmmm what you call noisy? any recording of pump running
It's all I can hear in my PC? Disconnecting all my fans doesn't make it any quieter, so I know it's the pump.

And it's the DDC3.25, Laing branded. I'm considering putting it on a controller of sorts to limit the voltage though.

Could also be due to the XSPC Dualbay DDC reservoir I use too. However it does have rubber grommets from the acrylic to the case.
Old November 24, 2010, 09:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Depending on your waterblocks, they too can make noise. I have a D-Tek FuZion v2 that makes a woosh sound even in a completely bled loop. Bugged me enough to change to an Apogee XT. http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/...d.php?t=192268
Old November 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
One word of advice, the MCP355 is noisy. If you're going for silence, it's not the pump to use.

The rest of the watercooling game I don't want to get into. All I know is I've spent far too much money on it
I wouldn't call it noisy per say - it's all bout vibrational noise. I use mini-feltac feet under the pump and I find it virtually silent.

Using an XSPC reservoir-top, it's my go to pump for WC.

Old November 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
I wouldn't call it noisy per say - it's all bout vibrational noise. I use mini-feltac feet under the pump and I find it virtually silent.

Using an XSPC reservoir-top, it's my go to pump for WC.
Well it's suspended in my drive bays (due to the bay res) and like I said is the only component I can hear in my PC. There's no other background noise in my room and my house is in a virtually silent area.

Anyways, I feel I'm derailing this thread so I'll stop now.
Old November 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well it's suspended in my drive bays (due to the bay res) and like I said is the only component I can hear in my PC. There's no other background noise in my room and my house is in a virtually silent area.

Anyways, I feel I'm derailing this thread so I'll stop now.
Not derailing at all as I am taking it all into consideration for purchasing my parts. For you, it seems to be a bit loud which others may not hear. It's good to know as I am really trying to focus on keeping it quiet.

Thank you all for the help! I check this thread hourly to see if there are updates ;)
Old November 24, 2010, 12:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Not derailing at all as I am taking it all into consideration for purchasing my parts. For you, it seems to be a bit loud which others may not hear. It's good to know as I am really trying to focus on keeping it quiet.

Thank you all for the help! I check this thread hourly to see if there are updates ;)
Well if you're like me and want silence, then I'm not sure any pump at 12V will achieve that. Maybe the MCP350, but then it's not a very strong pump.

The rest of the "noise makers" in my PC are 3x120mm Gentle Typhoons at 1250RPM, 1x120mm Gelid Wing 12 at ~1000RPM, 2x180mm FM181's at 900-1000RPM and a Corsair HX850 (but that's basically silent). The pump is quite audible over all this, but if you have some sound from your speakers or whatever, you can drone it out without too much volume.

For actual parts for your build, I'd go with a Heatkiller block for the CPU. I find them rather stunning and they perform quite well too. Next choice would be the EK Supreme (I think HF is the best performer? LT looks better IMO though). Radiator wise, 2x120mm should be sufficient, but no harm in going bigger so that you can add the GPU in later. I like my HWLabs SR-1 360 as it's optimized for low-speed fans, but so is the XSPC RX series. Swiftech MCR rads are alright too if you're tight on money. They lack the quality finish though as the paint chips easily.

Oddly though, it seems like I never posted any pictures here. So I'll stick some here:

Last edited by JD; November 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old November 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I like that koolance rad support. Looks way better than the Swiftech one.

Personnaly I have worked with the 350, and for a simple loop (cpu - one gpu - rad) it was enough power.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 24, 2010, 01:44 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would not count pump noise discussion as derailing a subject. It is quite interesting actually, since I run dual 355s in series using an EK dual top, and I can't hear them. Mind you they are hanging inside the drive cage (just like your setup) using rubber mounting points.

As far as using a Heatkiller block, I disagree. I had one, changed the block for a Swiftech GTZ with no difference in temps. With the pricing difference, I'd go for the GTZ (or the XT), unless the OP wishes to have a block that looks better - and that I agree the HK does looka lot better.
Old November 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't know... I thought it was because my original Swiftech MCP355 was aging, so I replaced it with a DDC3.25 this summer and it's the same noise level. And there's surely no air in my loop either.

I'd consider it a medium-pitch-hum? I suppose it doesn't help much that my computer is directly beside me. You can hear it standing at my bedroom door as well though which is about 8ft away. Maybe my house is just too quiet ;)

Perhaps it's from the metal casing/heatsink on the pump? But like I said, my MCP355 which was stock plastic sounded the same. I don't really have any good shots of it before I put it in the case, but this is the best I found:

Also wedged a temperature probe between the pump and heatsink and it reads a constant 34.1C. If that matters at all. Without the fan running, it gets a fair bit warmer.

And yes, the HK blocks don't perform above and beyond, but they look damn sexy! That's what matters in my books

Oh and the Koolance rad support is quite nice. Adjustable too so you can push the radiator back more if you want extra space for cables, or if you leave slack on your tubing you could push it in/out as needed. Also the typical nickel plating featured on basically all Koolance products looks quite nice.
Old November 24, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lets try to agree on something. Between the 55 $ swiftech apogee XT and the HK block the real differencs is about 30 $ for the look ? Personally I find the Xt nice looking, so the choice was easy for me !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....