Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Water cooling question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/3800-water-cooling-question.html)

Infiniti December 25, 2007 03:15 AM

Water cooling question

Teeline or reservoir? My old setup sort of ... "died", so I'm planning to go on a new set up with either a teeline or reservoir. Also, how big a gap is the performance between a 2 fan radiator and a 1 fan radiator. And btw, im trying to keep this all internal so I'm planning to use a 1 fanned rad.

llama_egg December 25, 2007 10:31 AM

Personally, from what I've been reading, both have there advantages and disadvantages. A Res will fill/bleed the system faster and from what I heard, gives better performance, while a teeline takes up much less room.

Second, it depends on what your cooling, and what rad your using :D

Wankerfx December 25, 2007 11:03 AM

I prefer using a res, but a T-line will be fine, it just takes a little longer to bleed. Could I get your budget for this build and the case you'll be using? Thanks.

The double radiator will definitely be better than a single, unless if you go with Thermochill.

MpG December 25, 2007 01:09 PM

Hands down, a reservoir speeds up the bleeding process, but it slightly impedes flow as well. The difference is fairly minimal, though.

If you have room for a double rad, definitely go for it. Between equal rad designs, you need MORE than twice the airflow through a single to equal a double. Otherwise... what are you planning to cool?

Infiniti December 25, 2007 01:48 PM

The case im using is the Antec P182.. I'm trying to keep it under $100 but I already have a pump and a CPU block. How is this rad? Swiftech MCR120-QP

Wankerfx December 25, 2007 02:36 PM

It might be a snug fit, but I'd aim for the MCR220, the dual radiator. If you didn't have a budget, I'd recommend the Thermochill PA 120.1 hands down (single rad), as it's a little better than the MCR220 (dual rad).

Infiniti December 25, 2007 03:11 PM

Do all these components fit together?
Thermochill Pa 120.1 Single 120MM Water Cooling Radiator *No Barbs*

Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD 10 Feet

Danger Den Tubing Plug for 1/2IN ID Tubing (Single Plug)Swiftech

Adjustable Black Hose Clamps for 1/2IN Inner Diameter 3/4IN Outer Diameter Tubing (2 Pack)

Swiftech Hydrx Water Additive Coolant 2 oz Bottle

Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs

Polypropylene T for Water Cooling T Line 3/8IN Barbs

3.0charlie December 25, 2007 04:02 PM

No, they don't fit. The T-Line has 3/8s barbs - you need 1/2". Also, you are missing the barbs which are specific to the P120 - those rads have a special thread, if I'm not mistaken. Don't forget 1 fan for the rad.

Infiniti December 25, 2007 04:14 PM

Oooo ok. Is this the barb im looking for? Thermochill 1/2IN Chrome Plated Barb Fitting G3/8 Threads *Single Barb*

Im planning on using one of my case fans for the rad.. so yeah.
Are you sure the tubing will work? It doesnt say its 1/2"
Is there anywhere like Home Depot or Canadian Tire where I can get a 1/2" T line? Its sold out at NCIX.. :sad:

MpG December 25, 2007 07:19 PM

That barb is what you need for the Thermochill rads. It's even in stock, go figure.

If you're shopping at Canadian Tire or Home Depot, any T-fitting made of brass or copper with 1/2" barbs will do the trick. Check the plumbing section. The 7/16" tubing will work on 1/2" fittings, you might have to soak it in hot water to soften it a little first, but it's a snug fit once it's on.

Thermochill's PA series are good, but I've never seen it demonstrated that a single can outperform someone else's double. If you have room for a double, you'll want it. On the other hand, if you're just cooling the CPU, a single rad should be up for the task.