Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/380-what-would-you-do.html)

Babrbarossa February 16, 2007 08:12 PM

What would you do?

OK - I've got about 420 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I can't decide what to do....watercooling setup? another 8800gts? 2GB more ram? vista 64 and a hard drive? given my setup (in my sig below) what would you guys do?

sswilson February 16, 2007 08:27 PM

If it were me, I'd look at going for a WC setup.

You've already got a pretty decent system going there.

Out of all your choices it's the one thing that you're pretty well guarantied to be able to carry over to any new build.

Babrbarossa February 16, 2007 09:10 PM

I guess that's the thing... I could get another gpu and have greater performance, but the wc will carry over to whatever I want to do in the future, and besides... It's damned cool!

Misoprostol February 16, 2007 09:23 PM

Water cooling is the way to go. PM me if you want some help picking things out :)

Supergrover February 17, 2007 06:20 AM

I will be making the move to h2o in about a month, so I will be posting up some parts for members examination. Noise isnt going to be a issue, truth to tell I cant handle silence anyways, makes my ears ring. lol
A GFX block isnt real high on my list right now as I want to upgrade my gfx this summer late spring.
Damn thats a nice price on that pump thats on sale @ ncix right now

sswilson February 17, 2007 06:34 AM

Best thing to do first is to have a good look at your case and figure out how you want to mount it.

Then break out the measuring tape...... :)

Supergrover February 17, 2007 06:41 AM

Been thinking I'd like to go external actually.
God it's soooooooooo much more reading:)

Babrbarossa February 17, 2007 06:51 AM

"so I will be posting up some parts for members examination. Noise isnt going to be a issue, truth to tell I cant handle silence anyways, makes my ears ring. lol
A GFX block isnt real high on my list right now as I want to upgrade my gfx this summer late spring.
Damn thats a nice price on that pump thats on sale @ ncix right now"

Freud would've had a ball with that post SperG :bleh:

Misoprostol February 17, 2007 11:57 AM

I read through your PM and for the benefit of everyone on the forum, I will reply here:

MY PICKS

D-TEK FuZion
Swiftech MCW60
Swiftech MC14
Clearflex 1/2" tubing
Smartcoils 625
MCRES-MICRO
Swiftech MC21
Black Ice GTS Stealth

Personally I prefer the black ice radiators because I find they look a little bit more finished when you actually get up close and personal with them. They also use g1/4 threads, so you can use metal barbs with them instead of those crap plastic ones.

I also prefer to go with a GPU only block instead of a full coverage solution because almost everything can be reused at some point in the future.

Let me know what you think.

Babrbarossa February 18, 2007 02:55 PM

Thanks very much! I Updated my cart with this stuf, but I havea couple of questions-
1) I notice that you didn't mention the chipset cooler and waterpump I had- does that mean you're ok with my choices?
2) IYou recommended the vgu cooler with ramsinks, and then some seperate MC14 memory sinks-- are these the same thing as th eramsinks that come with the MCW60?
3) I see you recommended the smartcoils 625 instead of the 500 but on NCIX, it says that the 625 is for 5/8" tubing _ is this really the ones I need? (also how many?)
4)How does one stick those ramsinks on? do they come with something?

5) This one is sort of for gav-- If I'm going to go for it, should I order this suff while the pump is on sale, or is there a chance that more of it will be on sale in upcoming weeks?

Again-- Thanks!