Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2007, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yep the ESSO one that burnt down is in the back. LOL

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old March 5, 2007, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does anyone know what the best thing to do with the original northbridge heatsink (which is attached to the southbridge via heatpipe) once I replace it with a waterblock? Someone told me a while ago to just bend it out of the way and leave it attached- is this the best option?

Also, I'm starting to think about layout with my case, and I can't seem to find many links to p180 WC projects- the one guy I did find tore his case to shreds. I'm not too wprried about my pump and reservoir, as I can pull out the upper HD cage, and I can even mount one or both to the underside ceiling of the case. However, I'm looking at three 120mm fans lined up, and I'm pretty awed at how big that radiator is going to be. Has anyone worked with WC on a p180 case? They're pretty snug with the two thermal compartments, but I'm not afraid of modding, or even building an extended base for the case to house the pump, res and rad.

Here's a quote from CustomPC of an otherwise glowing review of the p180 with regards to WC:

"However, while the fan mounts are creatively and smartly located for air-cooled PCs, the P180 has a lot less to offer if you're into water cooling. None of the 120mm mounts is paired with another, which unfortunately means you can't easily mount a double 120mm fan-size radiator.
More importantly, though, there's no obvious location for a pump or reservoir. That said, if you were to remove either of the hard disk caddies then there's probably enough space in which to cram a pump. However, ultimately, the P180 will require cutting if you want to install a high-performance liquid-cooling system.
If this news leaves you a little disappointed, then maybe some of the other little touches that Antec has included will help to alleviate your pain. The two exhaust fans both have independent speed control, although the large fan that cools the PSU doesn't have this option. The PSU bay is designed so that you can mount the PSU upside down, should you wish, and there's clearance for a PSU with 120mm fan on the top and bottom. One of the drive caddies has a box for holding screws on the back of it, and last but not least, the caddies have handles so you can easily slide them in and out."

This doesn't scare me, but I'd love for suggestions if anyone has some.

Edit: I just found this pic that looks like a decent setup- My rad is longer so it would have to extend up higher above the top of the case

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 12, 2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old March 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
Allstar

Default P180 Wc

Here is the swiftech one.
http://www.swiftnets.com/
Here is a review that mentions upgrading to bigger rad and apparently it's easy with this case.
http://www.ocia.net/reviews/swiftechp180/page1.shtml
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old March 9, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EVGA has just released a specially made southbridge active cooling solution designed for people watercooling the northbridge- it's only 6.99 USD too!

• Perfect when using a water-cooled chipset!
  • SLI Compatible, including support for 8800GTX ACS3
  • Easy pushpin installation
  • Noise Level: 19.8dB
  • Airflow: 6.35CFM
  • Fan Speed: 4,800RPM
  • Fan Bearing: Fluid Dynamic Bearing
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F1-MB01-01&family=99

And I have to say- EVGA's service, support and their dealing with the issues of the 680i have been phenomenal and probably unprecedented.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 9, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old March 11, 2007, 01:35 PM
Misoprostol

If the noise ratings are accurate and that fan isn't going to die within a couple months, then I think that's your best bet :)