Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2007, 01:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Noctua NF-P12 Comment Thread

Noctua has presented an amazing fan to us and we were extremely impressed with the results it attained in our testing.

I suggest you give the review a good going-over since we test it on BOTH air and water cooling applications.

You can find it here:

Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan Review

Enjoy and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 24, 2007, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Nice fan

Perfect timing for this review. Been wondering what the best option is for a cpu heatsink fan and theres the answer!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old December 24, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hmmm, a nice new FDB fan sounds interesting! From the tech specs and white paper it looks like an improvement on Sony's tech. Looks like they added an additional magnet to help stabilize the fan when its off center. I think I'll have to pickup a few to see if they will replace my Scythe's. Thanks for the review Skymtl!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 24, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old December 24, 2007, 03:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Perfect timing. I was thinking about using these on my water cooling setup, and now it's settled. Silence and performance! Can't go wrong with that.

However the rest of my fans that came with my Antec 900 are still going to be loud....

Thanks for the great review!
Old December 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nicely done.

I've already seen a few reviews out there suggesting that the 1000rpm Ultra's were duds (the 2000 and 3000 rpm versions aren't bad though), but this really puts it in context. Heck, a single Noctua beat TWO Ultra's on the radiator.

How big of a difference was there between the Noctua and the YL? I've got 1200rpm YL's on the my PC, and they're the noisiest component, so I'd be interested in something that could quiet things down a little more without sacrificing airflow.

It'd be nice if Noctua tried making something that spun a little faster, maybe in the 1500-1600 rpm range.
Old December 24, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

While this shows temperatures what I'd like to honestly see is a "Static Pressure" test and that would truly tell which one is better.
Old December 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
While this shows temperatures what I'd like to honestly see is a "Static Pressure" test and that would truly tell which one is better.
excuse my ignorance but what is static pressure? I never heard of that, do you mean inside a closed case like in a vacuume type idea?

I still think that i will stay with my Yates for now
Old December 24, 2007, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
excuse my ignorance but what is static pressure? I never heard of that, do you mean inside a closed case like in a vacuume type idea?

I still think that i will stay with my Yates for now
Static pressure is what dictates the flow of air through smaller areas. If you have a fan with low static pressure it won't work well with coolers like tuniq, ultra 120 and the noctua due to the fins being so close together, but a low static pressure fan will work fan with say the ninja due to wider spaced fins.

You want a high static pressure fan with the above 3 coolers to allow air movement through the fins and still have enough movement to keep it cool. This is why sometimes you'll see people setup push/pull style for because the fans aren't moving enough air through the fins.
Old December 24, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Static pressure is what dictates the flow of air through smaller areas. If you have a fan with low static pressure it won't work well with coolers like tuniq, ultra 120 and the noctua due to the fins being so close together, but a low static pressure fan will work fan with say the ninja due to wider spaced fins.

You want a high static pressure fan with the above 3 coolers to allow air movement through the fins and still have enough movement to keep it cool. This is why sometimes you'll see people setup push/pull style for because the fans aren't moving enough air through the fins.
oh ok that makes perfect sense now.
Old December 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
Top Prospect

well, I think I know what the next 120mm fan(s) I'm gonna buy are! that was an awesome review SKYMTL. I'm flabbergasted that so much could actually be said about a fan! :lol: kudos :D