Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Pump -> CPU or Rad -> CPU (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/37639-pump-cpu-rad-cpu.html)

Keywork November 2, 2010 06:15 PM

Pump -> CPU or Rad -> CPU

So i'm just waiting for my fans and a 90 degree fitting to come in to piece my loop together but I have one question regarding flow. Is there a performance difference between the 2 mentioned orientations?

MpG November 2, 2010 07:18 PM

Nope. In theory, having the rad first lets it take care of the pump's heat dump. In practice, the rise from the pump's heat dump is mere fractions of a degree. Whatever lets you route things easier is best.

KaptCrunch November 3, 2010 01:58 AM

Keywork
other is to have fresh cool air go through rads not recycled heated air, to get best cooling results

Keywork November 3, 2010 07:28 AM

I was planning on mounting my S-Flex's on top of my rad in order to push fresh air through the rad and into the case (ATCS 840). And that's probably exactly what I will do MpG. Routing wise, it's easier for me to go Pump/Res -> CPU -> Rad so I will do so without any doubts now. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Dazmode November 3, 2010 08:51 AM

If you push air inside, make sure you use fans fast enough or air will be too hot and affect your RAM temperature.

Keywork November 3, 2010 02:51 PM

I'm assuming my 1600RPM Scythe S-Flex's will do just fine, plus, i'm using an MCR320 which isn't exactly a thick rad.

Eldonko November 3, 2010 03:53 PM

I always did RAD-CPU-PUMP because the coolest water is going into the CPU but really if your loop is a reasonable size you arent going to see much of a difference of all either way. Today I set it up however it fits best.

CanadianReaper7 November 7, 2010 06:46 PM

The biggest difference in flow is going to be your 90 degree fitting. I remember seeing tests on OCN that showed one 90 degree fitting is equal to about 4 feet of tubing. If you really don't care about flow rate and don't have a ton of restriction in your loop it won't make a difference tbh. Just something to consider when adding multiple 90's in a loop.

lowfat November 7, 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianReaper7 (Post 447706)
The biggest difference in flow is going to be your 90 degree fitting. I remember seeing tests on OCN that showed one 90 degree fitting is equal to about 4 feet of tubing. If you really don't care about flow rate and don't have a ton of restriction in your loop it won't make a difference tbh. Just something to consider when adding multiple 90's in a loop.

It takes like 12-16 90 fittings to equal the resistance that a cpu water block adds. It isn't something I would worry about in all honesty.

Keywork November 7, 2010 07:59 PM

I will only be using one of them and it will be feeding the reservoir/pump (mcr320 rad on top feeding pump/res below via the 90 degree elbow). With this configuration, I don't believe the effect will be too bad. I would be more concerned about flow if the elbow was attached to the outlet on my pump. Plus, my loop only consists of a EK supreme HF, MCR320, and my mcp655 (with top) so restriction is essentially non-existent at this point anyways. The build will recommence once my piece of Silver and reservoir come in!