Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 90 degree elbows

Are they really that restrictive to flow?
I just installed my first loop, and everything seems to be running famously, however, i would love to have the tubes more organized, and i cant do that with what i have while avoiding kinking.

Would 90degree barbs really hinder my loop?
As well, i'm thinking of adding a second res, mostly for aesthetics. Would anyone see any potential problems with this?

I have the following:

XPSC Rasa 750 loop:

- Rasa Black (Acetal) CPU Waterblock
- X2O 750 12V Pump/Reservoir
- RS240 Radiator

I'm thinking of adding a multi option res and potenially later on, a few 460 blocks, but I know i'll have to upgrade my rad and pump.

Does anyone know if the pump would work with a 420 rad? or would i need a bit more power?

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 29, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

It seems impact of 90 degree fittings is minimal with MCp655 pump setup. RASA kit is not far off with 400 lpm pump, so I would not worry.

I suggest to record your temps and check what the difference after future upgrade. Note your room temperature for fair comparison.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
It seems impact of 90 degree fittings is minimal with MCp655 pump setup. RASA kit is not far off with 400 lpm pump, so I would not worry.

I suggest to record your temps and check what the difference after future upgrade. Note your room temperature for fair comparison.
awesome.
thank you for that info. so technically the pump might just be strong enough to handle a bigger rad?
I might get a 420 and find a way to mount my hdd's in the drivebays.

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old October 29, 2010, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For HDD's NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Bay Rafter 3.5 Mounts 3.5IN HDD in 5.25IN Bay With 80/90/120MM Fan Mount - BayRafter3.5 In Canada.
For SSD's NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Bay Rafter 2.5 to 5 3X2.5IN Hard Drive SSD to 5.25IN Drive Bay Mounting Kit - Bay Rafter 2.5 to 5 In Canada.

As for elbows, if you are concerned about loop restriction, go with 2x 45 degree elbows to make your 90. I'm going to do that on my CPU to NB Block the next time I redo my loop. I've currently got 45's in there with a kinked piece of hose I bent with a heat gun, but I don't like it.

EDIT: I actually have one of these in my TJ-07, good for multiple HDD mounts, but NCIX doesn't seem to carry them anymore. Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" Space Saving Hard Disk Mounter
Old October 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
For HDD's NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Bay Rafter 3.5 Mounts 3.5IN HDD in 5.25IN Bay With 80/90/120MM Fan Mount - BayRafter3.5 In Canada.
For SSD's NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Bay Rafter 2.5 to 5 3X2.5IN Hard Drive SSD to 5.25IN Drive Bay Mounting Kit - Bay Rafter 2.5 to 5 In Canada.

As for elbows, if you are concerned about loop restriction, go with 2x 45 degree elbows to make your 90. I'm going to do that on my CPU to NB Block the next time I redo my loop. I've currently got 45's in there with a kinked piece of hose I bent with a heat gun, but I don't like it.

EDIT: I actually have one of these in my TJ-07, good for multiple HDD mounts, but NCIX doesn't seem to carry them anymore. Scythe "Hard Disk Stabilizer x4" Space Saving Hard Disk Mounter
that scythe stabilizer is exactly what i'm looking for... Damn.... got to try to find some now.
Thinking of finding a way to mount then vertically like Charles has.

----------------
---------------
Instagram Twitter
Old October 29, 2010, 07:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Spin the adapter 90 degrees to make a vertical mount. It may require a hole to be drilled, or only mount 2 of the 3 rubber things. I've got mine in backwards so the cables are hidden away from the window.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

you can get 2 kinds of elbow too, the later is obviously less restrictive but won't allow a sharp turn like the first.

both parts can be bent on the second type which allow a lot of possibility for routing tubing, but they can be prone to leak when stressed too much on one side, you got to make sure the tubing isn't pulling or pushing the fitting

btw
curbing tubing with heat will help get rid of some kink when making sharp turn

Bitspower G 1/4" Black Sparkle 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter Products Model: BP-BSWP-C39 [BP-BSWP-C39] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Bitspower G 1/4" Silver Shiny Triple Rotary 90 Degree G 1/4 Male to Female Fitting Products Model: BP-90R3D [BP-90R3D] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Last edited by mkultra; October 29, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old October 29, 2010, 10:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

in a simple loop like that a few sharp 90s will have very little effect. Save yourself a massive headache and get swivel 90s though.
Old October 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

A 90-degree fitting is about the same as one extra foot of tubing. Some guys over at RRT did a review/ study of the restrictiveness of them.