Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Coolit Omni GPU cooler

Well just got an email from NCIX saying that coolit is sending a shipment to them. NCIX is a bit pissed that they sent them to Europe first... NCIX has been really good at keeping me informed and I praise em for that.

So either this week or next week I should finally have them and then review them! Can hardly wait. Ordered in June and now will get it just before my B-Day

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

K got them in and installed!

As promised I will do an unprofessional review.

Installation.

Installation was pretty straight forward. Remove the heatsink on the GPU. Clean the gpu and also remove the thermal paste off of the omni. Put new IC7 paste on the GPU. Screw on the OMNI, and then install. Took me about 30 minutes to do but would have gone a lot faster if I didn't strip a screw and had to drill it out.

Performance.

This is the fun part. First thing I did was open up furmark multi-gpu. Put it at 1920x1200 max visual settings including 32xAA. Let it go till it leveled off on a Max temp.

Here are the temps for Furmark.

GTX 480 SC SLI Stock cooler
Forgot the min. Max 105c

GTX 480 SC SLI Omni Cooler
min 45c Max 90c

This is MUCH cooler than what I was getting before.

Now for gaming performance I will check Heaven Benchmark and then some Bad Company 2 then I will finish it off with some Counter Strike Source.

I did not write down temps for the stock cooler but I know that it was usually in the upper 90's to low 100's.

GTX 480 SC SLI Omni Cooler
Heaven
Max 71c

BFBC2
Max 68c

Counter Strike Source
Max 62c

Noise.

This is the area that I wanted to reduce the most. Now when running Furmark the Omni really picks up and they are just as noisy or slightly less as the 480 stock cooler.

When gaming that is a completely different story. They are much quieter. I used to have my 280 in my computer for physx but I removed them because they were the nosiest part in the computer. Now I don't hear the fans of my computer a floor above!

Conclusion.

I am very impressed with the Omni cooler. Not only did it lower the noise it also drastically lowered the temperatures in my low airflow case. They also look really cool and now I have more space in the computer as they only take up one spot. They are a bit pricey but if you have Premier Partnership with NCIX you will save more than the cost of the PP if you buy 2 of these.

If I had to sum this up into 2 words it would be Holy ST

I give my seal of approval.

PICS!

Click to enlarge.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old November 10, 2010, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looking really good. Thanks for showing us Mate.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 10, 2010, 07:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Curious, that screw you stripped and had to drill out. Was it one of those ridiculously small and brittle screws near the outputs on the mainplate for vrm and what not? I had the exact same problem if it was. Those temps are pretty high though, my 480 doesnt budge over 52 when folding @ 850/1700/4200
Old November 10, 2010, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The concept of these coolers are good but for the price, I'd have expected them to perform better. With 2 of these, you could have almost bought a custom loop instead but I guess if you're a bit lazy or don't care for the maintenance these would fit your needs.

Old November 10, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Curious, that screw you stripped and had to drill out. Was it one of those ridiculously small and brittle screws near the outputs on the mainplate for vrm and what not? I had the exact same problem if it was. Those temps are pretty high though, my 480 doesnt budge over 52 when folding @ 850/1700/4200
Yup same screw.

The temps are MUCH better than what I was getting before. Keep in mind I only have 1 120mm intake fan.

Getting less than 70c when gaming while I was previously getting 95+ is a huge improvement.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
Old November 11, 2010, 06:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I guess I was looking at the wrong unit. Yours is actually a sli edition of that cooler? If that's the case then ya your temps are bang on, not too shabby either for a maintenance free unit.
Old November 11, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the min review. I would imagine that slightly lower temps could be achieved with a case which has better airflow. This is definitely something I will consider purchasing. I completely skipped the 4xx series video cards so I just may used the bucks I have saved and go right to the 5xx series cards. I hope coolit doesn't take too long to get the interposer plates out.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old November 11, 2010, 06:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
The concept of these coolers are good but for the price, I'd have expected them to perform better. With 2 of these, you could have almost bought a custom loop instead but I guess if you're a bit lazy or don't care for the maintenance these would fit your needs.
Nothing to do with being Lazy.
Same purpose to having sealed CPU Water Coolers as well.
Better Performance vs Air with less noise involved.
For Coolit to be doing so well and expanding their product line, they have to be doing something right.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hm, so you have to custom order from NCIX? Also, what case would you say would most suit this?