Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2010, 02:11 AM
Top Prospect

Default EK multioption Res X2 leak

A few weeks ago, I came to this forum moaning about my leaking EK Multioption Reservoir Rev 2. I decided just to buy a new reservoir since EK had released a newer version, X2. I had several issues with mounting reservoir, but I was finally able to get it mounted. I leak tested with distilled water for well over 24 hours. No leaks to be found. So I filled it up with Thermochill EC6 (flame away) and proceed to bleed my loop for another 24 hours. Again, I found no leaks. My computer has been running continuous (excepted for reboots to bios for overclocks) for about a week. I have been running prime95 for about three days, when I noticed that the coolant in my reservoir was a bit lower. The reservoir starting to leak at the bottom.

Sigh more time wasted.

Last edited by mataribot; October 27, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old October 27, 2010, 04:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is there an O-ring on those sections of the res? for all you (and I at that point) know, that might be the problem.

That or you just got some bad luck :(
Old October 27, 2010, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

the o-ring is not missing; I checked before I installed it. There was well over 48 hours of leak testing done on this unit with no leaks. This product has failed. The reason why, I am not sure.
Old October 27, 2010, 05:41 AM
Top Prospect

I am tired, so I will go back to bed. The leaking has not even hit the bottom the case. When I wake, I will drain the loop and check to see if the o-ring is still in one piece.
Old October 27, 2010, 07:15 AM
Top Prospect

use teflon. should stop the leak
Old October 27, 2010, 09:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragd View Post
use teflon. should stop the leak

Ummm, no. If there is an oring, and it is not damaged, and it is not over-tight (or loose) there is no reason for teflon.

Most people really underestimate how little force you need on an oring sealed joint. Especially at the pressures we see in watercooling. Hell, I do 10,000 to 75,000 PSI hydraulics and really dont need to tighten things very much.

Just keep that in mind when sealing oring/acrylic joints.

Hope you get it figured.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:10 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry to hear about this. But judging from the pic, is that a crack(little C shaped) in between the threads?
Old October 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
Top Prospect

This is my second EK Multioption reservoir that has leaked. I took out the reservoir and cleaned it; the O-ring is in good shape and so is the rest of the bottom. I made sure the bottom was tightened a bit more than before. No leaks so far, but rember the leak occured after several days of running prime95. It has something to do with the heat and pressure build up under load. I am scared to hell to try this reservoir again even tho it has passed another 12 hours of leak test. Something else that bothers me; the water level in the reservoir has fallen quite a bit in the 12 hours of testing. As the air bleeds out of the loop, the coolant level should fall abit but not 2 cm. I am using UV blue coolant so if it leaks I would see it on the paper towl. I just don't know what to do
Old October 27, 2010, 10:40 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataribot View Post
. As the air bleeds out of the loop, the coolant level should fall abit but not 2 cm. I am using UV blue coolant so if it leaks I would see it on the paper towl. I just don't know what to do
Is the water level at the same height while powered off as it is while powered on?
Old October 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
Top Prospect

when I unplug the pump the coolant goes up a tad but each time it is less