Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Best size and type of thermal pads for nvidia 400 series, and other?

Hey folks. This is a question I could put in the Watercooling or aircooling section, but I figured the watercooling folks would have a lot of experience with this.

Probably will be doing some work on my video cards next month or so and I am looking to get some thermal pads from Dazmode on this page:

THERMAL SOLUTIONS : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

I will probably get an EK Block for the GTX 470: I know from Ek's site that the thickness is 1mm. I understand that the block comes with pads, but I will get some extra 1mm in case I need it.

• My main question would be, is there anything else I should buy/pickup from that page I linked?

I ask because I will probably remove the stock HSF from the GTX 460s I have, and just replace the TIM and stock pads.

• Will those 1mm thick pads be sufficient for the stock GTX 460 cooler? (reference Evga cooler). Or should I pick up a different thickness for the air cooler as well? Adhesive pads?
Thanks!
Fold for team #54196
Old October 23, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The EK blocks use 1 and 1.5mm on the 480's and just 1mm on the 460's and 470's so if you plan on picking up a 480 down the road you should probably pick up some of both, I like having 1, 1.5 and 2mm on hand just in case, comes in handy for mobo's and stock GPU coolers, but 1mm for the 460 stock should be fine.

edit: I meant .5, 1.0 and 1.5mm on hand, I also have 2mm but have only used it once maybe twice.

Last edited by kruzn4evr; October 24, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old October 24, 2010, 12:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
The EK blocks use 1 and 1.5mm on the 480's and just 1mm on the 460's and 470's so if you plan on picking up a 480 down the road you should probably pick up some of both, I like having 1, 1.5 and 2mm on hand just in case, comes in handy for mobo's and stock GPU coolers, but 1mm for the 460 stock should be fine.
Do you think the graphite tim is too dangerous for use in a pc? Has anyone tried it and did a comparision?
Looking at dazmode's site, the thermal conductivity for graphite is 8x better (20 W/m.K vs 3.2 W/m.K)
Old October 24, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have any experience using the graphite personally, however I don't think I would use it:
"do not forget that this tape is conductive and can shortcut component if applied outside chip surface."

Old October 24, 2010, 10:18 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yeah I was thinking of the EK pads, not the graphite stuff.

Looks like I should pick up three sizes then? (0.5, 1, and 1.5mm)?
Fold for team #54196
Old October 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I ask because I will probably remove the stock HSF from the GTX 460s I have, and just replace the TIM and stock pads.
  • Will those 1mm thick pads be sufficient for the stock GTX 460 cooler? (reference Evga cooler). Or should I pick up a different thickness for the air cooler as well? Adhesive pads?
Thanks!
I don't see the point of replacing stock TIM and Thermal Pads on a reference Fermi. I tried it with my 470 and I barely got a 2c improvement. (MX-3 and the 3M stuff) The stock stuff seems to actually be pretty good, although the application is messy.

I would look into something like a backplate/high-flow bracket if you want a low cost temp improvement. Otherwise just replace the cooler altogether.
Old November 7, 2010, 07:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I don't see the point of replacing stock TIM and Thermal Pads on a reference Fermi. I tried it with my 470 and I barely got a 2c improvement. (MX-3 and the 3M stuff) The stock stuff seems to actually be pretty good, although the application is messy.

I would look into something like a backplate/high-flow bracket if you want a low cost temp improvement. Otherwise just replace the cooler altogether.
I think you missed where he said he's getting the EK-FC 470 waterblock. He's not replacing stock TIM to put on a stock cooler.

I have the EK-FC 480 waterblock personally, and applying the thermal pads/everything on my first card ever I had more than enough. The 1mm and 1.5mm pads go on different parts of the cards as shown in the instructions. The only annoying part is that the pads didn't come precut with my water block.

Order more thermal pads if you really need it AFTER you try it. I hate to see you waste money when the product comes with enough in the first place.