Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2010, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Default Entry-Level Watercooling Setup

Hello!

What is the average cost for an entry-level water cooling setup these days involving the GPU and CPU?
Can any case be used?
Old October 20, 2010, 06:46 PM
Allstar

can we call a setup with a GPU Entry-Level ?
Old October 20, 2010, 06:50 PM
Rookie

I wasn't aware that adding a GPU complicated things excessively. In reality, I'd rather remove the CPU from the loop than the GPU.
Old October 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
Allstar

it's not more complicated, you just need a better rad, better fan, better pump and it's why I said it's not entry level.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
it's not more complicated, you just need a better rad, better fan, better pump and it's why I said it's not entry level.
On the contrary, I dont think TS meant entry level as in terms o f his components but rather
a budget wc rig for a single gpu and cpu. As a note to TS, the term entry level is getting really vague nowadays and you will be better of stating what you need specifically like your budget and components for example.

Average cost should be
pump dcp 2.2 $47
cpu block roughly $40-$50 new
gpu block roughly $100-$120 or get swiftech mcw60/80 gpu only block for $50
tubing and fittings $20
radiator mcr 220 $45
TOTAL= at least $200 but keep a look out on the BST threads for used items.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The problem with not listing your components is that we won't know how what kind of cpu and gpu you have, therefore not knowing how much heat they generate and how much radiator you might need. The costs for the blocks can always be cheap there not the best but for entry level they do their job fine. Also depends on if you just want to cool your cpu and gpu with enough radiator to match air cooling or do you wanna overclock and have cooler temps? I just think the average question was a little vague to sum it up anywhere from $200 like the previous post to $650 and up, for a example I have a mcr320, mcr220, EK supreme Lt, koolance gtx 470 block, swiftech 655-b, no compression fittings, and this setup cost like $500 because i got some decent pricing and knew what I needed (didn't need double rads but want to run sli later). I hope this helps.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
Rookie

Ah, understandable from that point.

I got a solid price on a 480 GTX so that is where the majority of the motivation for looking at water is coming from. I will likely go SLi in the future so I don't mind throwing down the extra chunk of change up front if it provides longevity. I am currently using a Q6600 which will likely move to a Sandy Bridge offering as it is the bottleneck in my system as it is.

I am comfortable with the idea of overclocking (my CPU currently is and I suspect that the GPU variety is similar). As a result, I suspect that a full cover rather than just the GPU block makes more sense.
Old October 20, 2010, 11:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Definitely go for a full cover block for a GTX 480. You could run just that on a MCR220 rad, a low-end pump, block and a t-line for low $200 for new parts. However, I'd be tempted to try a Coolit Omni for around the same price if all you are interested in is cooling the GPU.

FYI, I've got a GTX470 and i7 920 on a X58 Classified, all watercooled. So with 3 blocks (GPU, CPU, Mobo), pump and top, high-end triple rad, compression fittings and a res I'm into my loop for about $650. But I started off with a simple CPU only loop like I suggested, and slowly added/upgraded parts.
Old October 21, 2010, 06:54 AM
Rookie

I was looking at the Coolit omni as the idea of minimal maintenance and a closed loop (no leaks I hope!) is pretty seductive. However, if I end up going that route, there's no expandability. I guess if I just get the GPU block but skip the other two pieces I'm looking at $350.
Old October 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My loop is all high end stuff. Like I said, you could get into a simple 1 block loop for probably $200-225. It all depends on what you might do in the future. If you think you might want to get into WC'ing, or expanding your loop, then go custom but be prepared that there is some maintenance involved.

If you're not comfortable with that, a closed loop system like the Omni might be for you. And some people do start with closed loop systems, then modify them over time.