Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Confused as all get out (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/37083-confused-all-get-out.html)

Dogger1 October 14, 2010 05:43 AM

Confused as all get out
Hopefully you can teach an old dog some new tricks because I'm finding that selecting the proper components for a water cooling setup confusing as all get out.

After some dd I've determined that the prepackaged water cooler kits are for the most part not what I'm after. I've tentatively decided that a HK 3.0 block and a triple radiator (either the Swiftech MCR320 or the ThermoChill PA120.3, mounted on the top of HAF 932) would seemingly fit my needs but then I start to get confused when it comes to the proper pump, GPU blocks, reservoirs or T-Line, tubing size and fittings etc.

So without further ado, what I need assistance on is selecting matching components that will chill the heck out of my i7 950 and my two 5870's, in a HAF 932 case.

FYI, cost is not a huge factor but quality is.

KaptCrunch October 14, 2010 06:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
D5 vario pump or ddc with aftermarket top

why not stay with heat killer gpu block

and link/manifold with p/n: #10191 (1slot wide), #10192(2slot wide) to link 2 cards

ADay2Long October 14, 2010 07:23 AM

May I suggest visiting Canada Best Water Cooling Store

You can PM Dazmode for questions, he's really quick to respond and very helpful.

Pump: as suggested a D5 or DDC (350/355) pump with a custom top (makes it quieter and perform slightly better).

Tubing : now you need to chose tubing size. 3/8ID - 1/2OD or 1/2OD - 3/4OD. 3/8 is easier to bend and the added size doesn't add better flow, or barely from what has been tested.

Fittings : barbs or compression. Barbs are easier to work with and cost less, compressions look better and do not require some kind of clamping. Barbs will need clamps or zipties to hold the tube on top of the barb. Fitting size will depend on tubing size.

Blocks : personally I like the EK blocks, but thats up to you, HK, Koolance and EK make really nice and good quality blocks, it's more what pleases you more.

Res : Bay res, normal res or T-line. Depends on your taste and placement of the rest of components. Bay res is harder to fill/drain, but I like'em a lot for looks! :biggrin:

Rad : Your choice there.

Fans : Usually one with good CFM and static pressure to push or pull air through the rad, maybe a fan controller could be a worthy investment for so many fans, makes it easier to manage.

Depending on res placement and choice, I suggest you make a drain port somewhere in your loop, usually at it's lowest point for easy draining.

And Watercooling is addictive, but so worth it, and so fun! :thumb:

lowfat October 14, 2010 05:03 PM

I wouldn't really suggest the HK block. It is expensive and not the top dog anymore (plus the copper is ugly IMO). Personally I think the newer Koolance blocks look and perform fabulously. However no one in Canada really stocks them. :sad:

As for fittings I am a huge fan of Bitspower barb fittings. With Primoflex LTR tubing they fit like a glove. With 3/8ID tubing and fittings I don't even use clamps. That is how well and tight they fit.

For the fittings between the video cards I use these
SLI VID Connector - G 1/4 - 1/2/3 Slot - Silver SLI VID Connector - G 1/4 - 1/2/3 Slot - Silver [1403] - $8.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

Much cheaper than a link, and not so hugely bulky.

As for a pump I would go w/ the new Swiftech MCP35X. It can be controlled via a motherboard fan PWM fan header w/o any issues. That and it has an 'aftermarket' top built in.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:17 AM.