Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2010, 08:31 PM
Top Prospect

Default Interested in re-doing my water-cooling

ok so here's the scoop. When I first built my Rig, I got a free sealed water cooling setup from a friend. it includes a D-tek Fuzion v2 cpu block, two D-Tek FuZion GFX 2 GPU Blocks, a standard 240mm rad, a no-name pump, and some anti-kink tubing.

since I have no local place to get tubing and it doesn't have a reservoir, I just left it all together and tucked the un-used blocks away in the 5.25" bays. I'm noticing lots of bubbles in the tubing, and am getting ever-increasingly annoyed by the extra tubes and blocks. I would like to replace the tubing and the radiator (threads are badly damaged in rad) and get a reservoir. I cant tell what kind of fittings I have until I take my setup apart since they have some metal clips that are crimped on, so lets assume I'll get new fittings as well.

My setup is a i7 920, Asus P6T SE mobo, and a Corsair obsidian 800D case. I'm looking at being able to have the i7 at 4Ghz constantly.

So I need:

Radiator (at least a 240mm)
Reservoir (5.25" bay preferred)
Fittings ( Im sure they should all be G 1/4)
Tubing (3/8" is plenty unless otherwise suggested)

I guess it doesnt really matter where I order from, the only place ive ordered from is FrozenCPU.com. I dont really have a budget, but I dont really want to go crazy either. shouldnt really be over $200 right?

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

here is my current WC-ing setup

my watercooling on Twitpic

Last edited by Remoth; October 9, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old October 9, 2010, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with a 360 radiator of your choosing. If price is the main concern, the Swiftech MCR320 would be a great choice. If you can afford a bit more, look at the HWLabs SR-1, XPSC RX360, EK CoolStream 360 or Feser XChanger 360. They should all fit comfortably in the 800D I believe.

Can you get a picture of the pump? Or determine the model? If it's a DDC-type pump then I'd suggest the XSPC dual 5.25" DDC reservoirs. If it's not, then you'll probably want to consider non-bay res's but it's up to you. Most people opt for the long cylinder ones, especially in large cases like yours, as they look good and are easier to fill.

Performance-PCs would be another site to check out. Usually lower prices than FrozenCPU.

Fittings, up to you really. I'd go with Bitspower compressions all around if you can afford it.

Tubing, Primoflex ProLRT 3/8"ID 5/8"OD is great. Comes in a wide selection of colours too.
Old October 9, 2010, 10:19 PM
Top Prospect

The EK Coolstream or the XSPC seem like a good price. I never feel good getting the lowest price products, lol.

here is a couple pictures:

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

The story behind this setup is that the guy who gave it to me got it from when he was working for HP. it was supposed to go in a prototype of theirs.

As for fittings, I know compression fitting look the best and are the best all around, but I know they are big as well... would a couple 3/8" ID 5/8" OD fittings fit on the d-tek fuzion v2? but you are talking about something like this right? Bitspower Premium G1/4" Shiny Silver High Flow 3/8" (5/8") Compression Fitting Products Model: BP-CPF-CC3 [BP-CPF-CC3] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I was kinda hoping for the drive bay reservoir for ease of installation, cause I'm not sure how id mount a cylinder res...
Old October 9, 2010, 10:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the XSPC performs slightly better. But the EK isn't bad either.

And yeah, compressions won't fit on the FuZion by default. You can get 45-degree ones which will though (that's what I did with my FuZion v2 block). Choice is yours though. Straight barbs will work fine too, just that you'll probably want some clamps too.

You may be able to fit one of these to the pump:
EK-Reservoir Combo DCP 2.2 Products Model: EK-RES-COMBO-DCP2.2 [EK-RES-COMBO-DCP2.2] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
EK-Reservoir Combo DCP 4.0 Products Model: EK-RES-COMBO-DCP40 [EK-RES-COMBO-DCP40] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

If you measure your pump and compare the measurements to the EK DCP2.2 and DCP4.0, you can probably be fairly sure it'll work.

The cylinder res's usually come with mounting brackets, so you'd drill a couple holes beside your motherboard and mount it there for example.
Old October 9, 2010, 11:35 PM
Top Prospect

I took a look at the rotary compression fittings by bitspower and the ID/OD measurements are in millimeters and seem small for 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing. ill try and do some measuring of the pump tomorrow.