Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2010, 06:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Restrictive loop, what to do?

Hey guys,

My loop has Res>Pump>Triple Rad>CPU>Mobo>5870>460>Single Rad>Res.

As you can guess, the flow isn't amazing.

What is a good option to improve flow and cooling?

Put the cards on their own loop with the single rad (cards not OCed).
Put the CPU and mobo on its own loop (OCed 920 to ~4-4.2).

Add a second pump somewhere in the mix?

Thanks all! My case is the CM ATCS840, triple at the top, single at the bottom, open to suggestions!
Old October 7, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

What pump are you using now? What blocks?
Old October 7, 2010, 08:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

655 with EK Top set to 5, all the rest are full cover EK blocks for 5870, 460 and RIIIE and Supreme HF with stock plate.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:12 AM

My System Specs

You could do the GPU blocks in parallel. It will help w/ flow over the CPU if that is what you are worried about.
Old October 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Problem is the two cards don't perfectly line up so it's a pain to run two tubes.

Can a single rad handle 2 video cards?
Old October 7, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Technically a single could handle both video cards, especially with a decent fan, but temps definitely aren't going to be anything to write home about, and I wouldn't recommend it in your case.

Personally, I can't see you having flow issues with that setup. The Supreme HF isn't as bad on restriction as EK's earlier CPU blocks, and their GPU blocks are pretty flow-friendly as well these days. You may not have amazing flow, but I don't imagine you'll see much in the way of temp improvements from increasing the system flow.

How are the rad fans oriented? Are both on intake, so they get cool outside air? Or is one getting the hot air from the other? What kind of fans are they, what rpm?
Old October 7, 2010, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would keep eevrything but change the game a bit.

RES-->pump-->CPU-->single rad-->MOBO-->both GPU-->RAD-->res. Or, remove the single rad and do all in a single rad pass lke the sequence here but remove the single rad. You could also add a second little pump maybe external somewhere near the single rad?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 7, 2010, 11:32 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I would keep eevrything but change the game a bit.

RES-->pump-->CPU-->single rad-->MOBO-->both GPU-->RAD-->res. Or, remove the single rad and do all in a single rad pass lke the sequence here but remove the single rad. You could also add a second little pump maybe external somewhere near the single rad?
Loop order really doesn't matter. I also don't think removing the radiator will help at all either. I also don't think his loop is all that restrictive and likely not causing any real issues.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'd say that flow lowered by at least a third when I added mobo block, 2nd gpu and single rad.

Temps on my i7 920 are 70 C when folding after a couple hours (1.35V), I just wish I could keep it in mid 60s.

Single rad is getting fresh cool air in push, triple rad is getting warm air in pull. Fans are Scythe S-FLEX 1200 RPM. Was looking into maybe getting Gelid Wing 1500 RPM. Have a lot more pressure than the S-FLEX, might make a little temperature drop to reach that magic point I'm looking for.

Otherwise I could again add a pump somewhere, or put the vid cards on a different loop.
Old October 7, 2010, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
I'd say that flow lowered by at least a third when I added mobo block, 2nd gpu and single rad.

Temps on my i7 920 are 70 C when folding after a couple hours (1.35V), I just wish I could keep it in mid 60s.

Single rad is getting fresh cool air in push, triple rad is getting warm air in pull. Fans are Scythe S-FLEX 1200 RPM. Was looking into maybe getting Gelid Wing 1500 RPM. Have a lot more pressure than the S-FLEX, might make a little temperature drop to reach that magic point I'm looking for.

Otherwise I could again add a pump somewhere, or put the vid cards on a different loop.
I wouldn't go to double-loop - vastly, vastly overrated option in the majority of instances, and the math/physics says as much.

I would consider flipping those fans so the rad is getting cooler air, since it's responsible for the majority of the cooling that's happening. Every degree you cool the rad's intake air tends to translate almost linearly into cooler water. The case would be heavily on the positive pressure side of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if you still came out ahead in the end.

Stronger fans will help as well, but without knowing what your current air-water temperature delta is, it's hard to judge how much.