Rookie

Default 2 pumps ?

My system specs:
asus M2N32-SLI
6000 amd x 2
4 Gigs Pc 8500 Balistix Crucial
8800 GTS x2
500 GB HD

Now my question is this I have this Thermaltake Symphony water cooler..
Liquid Cooling System "Symphony" CL-W0040
I would like to hook it up to my video cards to but is this going to cool it? It only has a 90L/h pump but the rad is HUGE. If not can you hook a second pump up.

Res----PUMP----RAD---GPU---PUMP----CPU can you do that or is that going to cause leaks....? And if so what pump should I buy.. PLZ HELP ME :help:

Last edited by Wasza; December 12, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old December 12, 2007, 06:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I really suggest that you do not use 2 pumps. I guarantee 2 pumps will work, however there is reason for concern. If you have 2 pumps on a small circuit such as a cooling system for your PC, you could find your pumps working to hard. A little hard to explain, I studied this in college. 2 pumps will be beneficial in the proper application, say a really large circuit or a small circuit with under powered pumps. A Pc cooling application with 2 pumps just is not practical. Mind you I will admit there can be situations that it be necessary, just not this one.

I am currently on a build right now. I'm the guy doing the MDF build in the worklog.
My circuit is currently doing this. RES-PUMP-CPU-RAD1-GPU-RAD2-RES
Now take into account that RAD1 is a car 8inx9in automotive radiator and RAD2 is an Heatercore from a 1981 Volvo 240.
Sounds like a lot for one pump eh... well get this.. I run all this with the DangerDen Mag2 pump. Yea that tiny thing does wonders.

Now if I can run a system like that with one of the smallest pumps (power and size) out there then you have nothing to worry about.

As for a pump suggestion... Naturally I would say look into the DangerDen Mag2, it's cheap, very small, very quiet, WORKS.
If not... then Go for any of the swifttech pumps.

Hope this is helpful.
Old December 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
Rookie

The DangerDen Mag2 pump from what I've read has a 560L and hour flow rate though... you think 90L would be good enough
Old December 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Not quite sure what you're referring to, Chibi. Unless you're saying that a lack of load on the two pumps will cause premature wear? But if that 90L/hr is correct, I would consider this system to be definitely under-pumped. 90L/hr = 1.5L/min = less than 0.5 G/min, which is a less than ideal place to be on the heat-exchange curves for most waterblocks and radiators. Thermaltake's website doesn't give any information on the pump's head pressure, but actual system flow with a block and a rad is probably even slower. So at that point, I think there might actually be some tangible cooling benefit to running the second pump.
Old December 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

perhaps, the more the better since your adding more to the circuit.
Old December 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Last one was regarding the previous post...

It's difficult to run 2 pumps without raising concerns. like I said it's a little hard to explain. his current pump is under powering, solution would be to replace it with a bigger pump. Adding a bigger pump to a smaller pump can cause problems. Big pump pushes more and forces the little pump which could burn it out. like wise the other way around. the small pump can push out as much as the bigger pump is sucking in.
If 2 pumps are to be used the only thing I can say to make it work is to have 2 of the exact same pumps. even still, the flow rate would be varying around the circuit. Hope that makes more sence.
Old December 12, 2007, 07:57 PM
Rookie

Maybe I can take the pump out of the stand thing.... I'll look into it if so I'll just take it out and add a pump thanks for the help
Old December 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ah, you're talking about mis-matched pumps. On that, I agree wholeheartedly.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yea exactly... Even with matched pumps it's still can be bad.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Don't do it.

First off, flow rate is not everything. Circulating the coolant faster does not always equal better cooling. The coolant needs to spend time in the radiator in order for it to cool off.

I run my race car without a thermostat (Valve that opens at a certain temperature, every car has one). If I don't put in a restrictor plate in place of it, the car will overheat constantly for the exact same reason. The plate is no small thing either, it takes a 2" diameter flow down to a hole the size of a nickel.

Second, all you are doing with the first pump is forcing water under pressure at the second. the impellers of the second pump are not designed for this.

You don't think you have enough flow, get a better pump, see if it helps. Keep one as a spare.