Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Is it really possible to get all the @#%$ out of a Thermochill PA rad????

I'm in the process of transferring my loop into a 700D and when I drained the current loop there were obvious flux flecks in the water.

Prior to initially installing the Thermochill PA120.3 I followed the cleaning instructions found on this and other forums. Hot water soak / shake it like it owes you money / repeat I can't recall how many times until what appeared to be a clean water rinse.

Now I have a PA120.2 to add to the loop and it and the PA120.3 are proving to be the bain of my existence for the past 2 days. I've even used a 1/3 diluted vinegar solution shake for a couple of seconds followed by repeated water shakes/rinses and a tap hook-up that allows a hot water flushs for hours at a time.

But I am still getting @%@$^ flux in the rinse water.

Has anyone actually been able to completely clean a Thermochill rad? If you have could you please share your secret!

Cheers, Talon

Last edited by TALON; September 12, 2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old September 12, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling - View Single Post - Thermochill Radiators - Removing Flux (solution found !!)

So yes, but no. Guess you'll just have to live with the flux?
Old September 12, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is one of the reasons why we don't sell those... because they are pain in...
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old September 12, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have one of the RRT PA120.3 Quite happy with my 100% flux free radiator :D
Old September 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I used isopropyl alcohol to get the flux out of mine.. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then shook it like crazy and it seemed to be clean after that..
Old September 13, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I used isopropyl alcohol to get the flux out of mine.. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then shook it like crazy and it seemed to be clean after that..
It's not clean, trust me The PA's will forever be dirty unless industrial cleaning is applied
Old September 14, 2010, 06:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

lol @ "shake it like it owes you money".

I had a 120.2 for a few months, sold it and bought a TFC triple rad from Daz. That's your best solution. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old September 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
lol @ "shake it like it owes you money".

I had a 120.2 for a few months, sold it and bought a TFC triple rad from Daz. That's your best solution. :)
I don't get it? Thermochills are the top of the game when it comes to RAD performance. I can't get any flux to come out of my rad after I used the alcohol. Over at Xtremesystems the PA120.3 is usually recommended if you can find it.
Old September 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

OK...

Checked around locally for a shop that could do ultrasonic cleaning, no luck. Found a rad shop that can do boiling acid dips but they wanted $100 per rad, I politely told the guy he was out of his mind.

So, I've done the vinegar full soak for 30 min, drain 1/2 and shake and rinse, used 4L total, baking soda mix 4 times, isopropyl alcohol, 3 bottles worth and more hot water shakes and got them to the point where a distilled rinse looks crystal clear. No flux skim on the surface and clear water...GREAT!!

But...and it always seems there is a but with these rads, when I leave the 120.3 empty overnight and rinse the next day I get flux like I was just starting. Two rinses and I'm back to clear but I'm and at the point where I have mounted the rads and if they my multioption I'll just replace it and the rads when I redo the loop for the X58 install early next year
Old September 17, 2010, 06:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I don't get it? Thermochills are the top of the game when it comes to RAD performance. I can't get any flux to come out of my rad after I used the alcohol. Over at Xtremesystems the PA120.3 is usually recommended if you can find it.
I think it's hit and miss with the rads - I know I had a bad one.. I shook the hell out of mine for days with isopropanol before putting it in line, a week or so later.. I saw bits in my resevoir and had to clean out the loop. Did this twice, then as I said before - sold it off and bought a TFC from Daz.
The people who recommend the thermochills probably never had issues with one.. it's a fairly well known problem.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.