Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2010, 07:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Stupid suggestion perhaps but have you tried to use a hose/sink tap to flush out the stuff? With more flow it'll clean out the stuff, then to avoid corrosion, flush out the tap water with distilled mixed with vinegar (3:1 or 4:1)?

Just an idea I've read at Martin's labs...
Old September 17, 2010, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I think it's hit and miss with the rads - I know I had a bad one.. I shook the hell out of mine for days with isopropanol before putting it in line, a week or so later.. I saw bits in my resevoir and had to clean out the loop. Did this twice, then as I said before - sold it off and bought a TFC from Daz.
The people who recommend the thermochills probably never had issues with one.. it's a fairly well known problem.
Yeah, it's an issue. Me, I've used a cycle of 5 minutes flushing out of the hot tap in my sink, followed by letting some of that hot water sit in the rad for 30 minutes. Pour the water into a container and see what comes out. Every 5 flushes or so, fill with vinegar and let soak for 5 minutes before flushing out. Repeat until crud stops showing up in the water you pour out of the rad...

...yeah, I like my Thermochill's, but I don't blame people for grabbing other brands. The official response way back, that a couple flushes with hot water would take care of the problem are kind of laughable.
Old September 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

I guess satisfaction with Thermochill's rads increases proportionally to the pain associated with them.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old September 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I guess satisfaction with Thermochill's rads increases proportionally to the pain associated with them.
They're like fine wine - they get better with age.
Old September 17, 2010, 02:51 PM

Yep my ancient PA120.3 loop was clear after about a year without a change. All blocks clean as a whistle.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old September 18, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

They are a pain, but I love the build quality of them. The old school ones where made in the good ol' UK, not in China! The ammount I paid for mine from RRT was perfectly fine IMO, I would be happy to buy another if I needed it. No paint left though, they got completley stripped head to toe.

Talon, I would say to either give the rad up, or just use it as is. When you take your loop apart next time, just check your blocks and everything to see for build up.
Old September 18, 2010, 12:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

The loop is back together being bled (no leaks ) and odd as it sounds I kind of like how the tiny bit of remaining flux looks in the MultiOption that has two blue LEDs in the top.

I'm debating whether to just leave it or enter the realm of repeated drain/refills of an assembled loop. Drain/refill would be easy but if it's a losing bid is it really worth it???

When I disassembled the blocks for cleaning prior to re-assembly the EK Supreme LT had minimumal blockage in a couple of the lanes but my CPU temps weren't indicating a problem.

Cheers, Talon
Old September 19, 2010, 07:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
They are a pain, but I love the build quality of them. The old school ones where made in the good ol' UK, not in China! The ammount I paid for mine from RRT was perfectly fine IMO, I would be happy to buy another if I needed it. No paint left though, they got completley stripped head to toe.

Talon, I would say to either give the rad up, or just use it as is. When you take your loop apart next time, just check your blocks and everything to see for build up.
Finding something not made in China nowadays (or Taiwan or whatever) is almost impossible. I am willing to pay a premium for stuff made in North America/Europe.... Yet I rarely get the possibility to let my wallet do said voting :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALON View Post
Thanks for everyone's input on this.

The loop is back together being bled (no leaks ) and odd as it sounds I kind of like how the tiny bit of remaining flux looks in the MultiOption that has two blue LEDs in the top.

I'm debating whether to just leave it or enter the realm of repeated drain/refills of an assembled loop. Drain/refill would be easy but if it's a losing bid is it really worth it???

When I disassembled the blocks for cleaning prior to re-assembly the EK Supreme LT had minimumal blockage in a couple of the lanes but my CPU temps weren't indicating a problem.

Cheers, Talon
I would feel weird with flux floating around my loop, but if you're ok with it, and you've tried so hard, I guess its not a big deal since temps are fine. I would repeatedly wash it like someone with OCD until I got it clean though...