Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Default Budget & Compact WC Setup

Hi,

Never done WC setup before. Need some advice from the masters here.
I am trying to cool a gtx 470 and a mildly overclocked i5 750 (3.2ghz) using a 240mm radiator.
Possible with good temps?

Main PARTS;
SWIFTECH MCW60
EK SUPREME LT
SWIFTECH MCR 220 QP RES
SWIFTECH MCP355

Tubing:
TFC 3/8" ID UV TUBING

Fittings:
BP 3/8" BARB FITTINGS X6
Do i need clamps?
Old September 7, 2010, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Might be worth it to have a look Here

Yes with Barbed fitting you will need either clamps or just use zipties if you are on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 8, 2010, 12:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You can't expect sub 30* temps witha gpu and cpu on a 240, but you will easily beat stock temps and be much quieter.

Nothing wrong with the EK LT, especially for $50, but the EK supreme HF is a much better, higher flowing block for $30 more.

Not sure what you are aiming for as far as sound levels, but bear in mind that the 355 is louder than the 350 and louder than the 655(though the 655 is bulky, has 1/2" barbs and therefore potentially useless in a compact build)

Also note that if you use a GPU only video cooler (as opposed to a full cover card) you will still need some decent air flow to keep the rest of the card cool(along with the mobo)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the parts you've chosen as long as you are aware of their limitations.

Check out the rad and CPU block reviews at skinee labs. Skinnee Labs | EK Supreme HF
Old September 8, 2010, 03:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Might be worth it to have a look Here

Yes with Barbed fitting you will need either clamps or just use zipties if you are on the cheap.
Thx Supergrover.

Is there a tube size that can fit 3/8" barbs without clamps like how a 7/16" tube fits over 1/2" barbs tightly?

The swiftech edge is a great kit with great potential but its a little expensive.( Im on a budget and i dont think that extra length from the pump+rad combo can fit in the case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
You can't expect sub 30* temps witha gpu and cpu on a 240, but you will easily beat stock temps and be much quieter.

Nothing wrong with the EK LT, especially for $50, but the EK supreme HF is a much better, higher flowing block for $30 more.

Not sure what you are aiming for as far as sound levels, but bear in mind that the 355 is louder than the 350 and louder than the 655(though the 655 is bulky, has 1/2" barbs and therefore potentially useless in a compact build)

Also note that if you use a GPU only video cooler (as opposed to a full cover card) you will still need some decent air flow to keep the rest of the card cool(along with the mobo)

Absolutely nothing wrong with the parts you've chosen as long as you are aware of their limitations.

Check out the rad and CPU block reviews at skinee labs. Skinnee Labs | EK Supreme HF
Thx dustin1706.

Im still thinking about the cpu waterblock and might get the supreme hf, apogee xt or kl 350/360 since they only differ about 3 degrees and have good flow. Scouting in the BST thread since I dont mind used sets.

How much quieter is the 350?

Im keeping the stock ram sink on the 470 with the fan on.

With the mcr 220, are low rpm fans suitable? Push or pull? I might do both but which is better?
Old September 8, 2010, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Get the supreme, it's far better and by have them in hand you will feel the difference in quality. For the fan, I use Scythe Gentle Typhoon and they work great, if you don't mind noise you can get Coolermaster R4 and a good cmoprimise are Gelid fan, you can find all the good gelid at Dazmode.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcwe89 View Post

How much quieter is the 350?

Im keeping the stock ram sink on the 470 with the fan on.

With the mcr 220, are low rpm fans suitable? Push or pull? I might do both but which is better?
It's really hard to describe how much louder something is... I would say if you are going with very quiet fans and looking for a quiet system go 350. If you are going to be running loud fans and going for performance/ overclocking, go 355.

Check out this page again on skinee labs (I love his tests) You can see that the difference from 600RPM to 1400 RPM yeilds a drop of ~9* then from 1400 to 2800 is less than a 4* drop. So the best compromise of noise to cooling is around that 1200-1400 range. Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

For a push pull comparison, check out this page. He has detailed charts on the results of push vs pull vs push/pull and the use of fan shrouds. Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review

Another page that I feel has done a decent job of accurately gauging fan noise/CFM is this one.

Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup (page 28) - X-bit labs

Last edited by dustin1706; September 8, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 8, 2010, 06:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Get the supreme, it's far better and by have them in hand you will feel the difference in quality. For the fan, I use Scythe Gentle Typhoon and they work great, if you don't mind noise you can get Coolermaster R4 and a good cmoprimise are Gelid fan, you can find all the good gelid at Dazmode.
Yeah, Im leaning towards the HF more now that dazmode has them only for an extra $20 compared to the LT.
I might get the typhhons if they are quiet. In the mean time , will probably stick to my odd collection of fans laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
It's really hard to describe how much louder something is... I would say if you are going with very quiet fans and looking for a quiet system go 350. If you are going to be running loud fans and going for performance/ overclocking, go 355.

Check out this page again on skinee labs (I love his tests) You can see that the difference from 600RPM to 1400 RPM yeilds a drop of ~9* then from 1400 to 2800 is less than a 4* drop. So the best compromise of noise to cooling is around that 1200-1400 range. Skinnee Labs | Triple Radiator Comparison V2

For a push pull comparison, check out this page. He has detailed charts on the results of push vs pull vs push/pull and the use of fan shrouds. Radiator Fan Orientation and TFC Shroud Testing & Review

Another page that I feel has done a decent job of accurately gauging fan noise/CFM is this one.

Be Cool: Ultimate 120/140 mm Fans Roundup (page 28) - X-bit labs
I might go with the 350 which should be more than sufficient for my simple loop. Thx for that interesting bit about fan rpms. Will check all these sites in the weekend been busy with school.

Thx again guys. Been very helpful. I think I have more than enough info to get started with WC.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:14 PM

My System Specs

Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - DirectCanada

$55 for a Swiftech Apogee XT. You will most definitely not beat this price to performance for a block.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings - DirectCanada

Thats weird. Last night it was $66.
Now its back down again.
I wonder if they include an i5 mounting kit..
Old September 9, 2010, 09:46 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcwe89 View Post
I wonder if they include an i5 mounting kit..
Mine did.

Tags
water cooling