Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Any pumps other than the MCP655 handle 24V

Non PC related. The gear motor that drives the pump on our Environmental test chamber at work has fried. It looks like dinosaurs may have originally used this particular motor so I'm looking at alternatives. The motor was running off a 24V relay setup and I'm thinking just grabbing a PC grade pump and some 1/2" tubing might be a more cost effective solution than trying to source some motor that was probably scavenged from some other peice of equipment a decade ago. Another thing, do these self prime?
Old September 2, 2010, 01:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I would think that it would be easier to put in a series resistance of 6Ω (power resistor, maybe 50 - 100W), to limit the current to 2 amps (the nominal current of your pump), and causing the voltage drop across the motor alone to be ~12V (depends on the accuracy of the resistor, as well as the motor).
This would let you run the motor effectively at the rated voltage, and not risk it getting too hot and failing prematurely. 50 - 100W power resistors are fairly cheap, and you wouldn't need a heatsink for them, as you only have to take care of 24W.

As for the self-priming, I can't say for sure but I would imagine that they don't, since it's stated that you must keep the unit filled with liquid to operate properly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by krazyups; September 2, 2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Iwaki RD-30 - yummy. I wish I could run a pump like that. Requires a seperate Meanwell PSU, and a cusom resivoir - a normal one would collapse under the pressure, and you need a 3/4 ID tube. I know a few people that have one and they say that their tubing swells :p

Definitly an inustrail pump. Dr BenD over, take a look at Iwaki's website, they have many industria pumps.
Old September 6, 2010, 03:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Dr_BenD_over is the 24v...... ~AC or DC power? also what kind of flow/volume needed and pumphead looking @ for retro-fitting new pump

any pic's of the old set-up, pump to determind if pump is a self primer

note PC pumps are non-priming type
Old September 6, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The motor for the old pump was just labeled 24V. I assume that since it was connected via red and black wires that it was DC. I should probably measure it and check. All the pump setup did was move water from bucket on the floor, to a bucket on top of the chamber, which then gravity fed the humidity portion of the chamber. Back in the old days we used to have to climb up on top with the water to fill it, but it proved to be somewhat dangerous as the chmaber is over 6ft high. I've got the guy in charge of maintenance checking around to see if he can find a direct replacement, the PC pump idea was a just in case thing, being an open loop, I'm thinking it would probably fry the pump if it ran out of water.
Old September 6, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

so need a pump thats min. 10ft headpressure, i see why pump failed for i guess was no float switch on pump to shut-off when pump done its job

here little giant pump.pdf mite be what your looking for has built in shut-off
Old September 6, 2010, 05:17 AM
Allstar

Small Septic pump.

It has a float aswell.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
The motor for the old pump was just labeled 24V. I assume that since it was connected via red and black wires that it was DC. I should probably measure it and check. All the pump setup did was move water from bucket on the floor, to a bucket on top of the chamber, which then gravity fed the humidity portion of the chamber. Back in the old days we used to have to climb up on top with the water to fill it, but it proved to be somewhat dangerous as the chmaber is over 6ft high. I've got the guy in charge of maintenance checking around to see if he can find a direct replacement, the PC pump idea was a just in case thing, being an open loop, I'm thinking it would probably fry the pump if it ran out of water.

I feel his pain even before it begins.... I suspect it will probably go something like my experience when trying to get replacement parts for an old ultrasonic parts cleaner which went something like this....

Me: I need a pump for an ultrasonic cleaner, can't read the part number off of the pump, but the model# of the cleaner is XXXXXX-XXX

Them: XXXXXX-XXX????? Really???? I'll ask around, but I'm not sure how much info we're going to be able to find on that model.... Ol' Greasy Joe was probably the last person around here to even see one of those, let alone work on one, and he retired 8 years ago...........

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 6, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Steve any pic's of the pump or whats wrong with it