Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2010, 06:51 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Another (New to WC)

So, I just built my PC recently and I am looking to do WC. The last one I built was 6 years ago and I have no clue about WC. I have been reading various forums and this is what I have come up with:

EK-Supreme HF - Acetal-Nickel - Universal CPU Water Block

1/2"ID - 3/4"OD Rotary 45 Deg. Angled Compression Fitting -Black x4

1/2"ID - 3/4"OD Rotary Straight Compression Fitting -Black x4

TFC Xchanger - High Performance Triple Radiator 360 Gen1

Swiftech MCP 655-01 Water Pump w/ Speed Controller

Pre-cut pack 2m (6.5 ft) 1/2"ID Clear/UV Blue x2

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - BLACK / UV Blue x2

Feser One - Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE x2

EK-BAY Spin 5.25" Bay Dual Loop Reservoir - Acetal

Now, is that enough fittings? Also, the reason why I am looking at the Dual loop res is because atm, I am just going to WC the CPU and eventually get around to the GPUs. Same with the extra tubing and liquid.

Cheers!!

Calamity - and yes Daz, I will be buying all my WC components from your site.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are going to put in a drain I think you will a few more fittings & a couple of tees. It is always best to get extra so that you are not sitting there with your rig down while you wait for parts. Usually watercool fittings etc. sell really fast on this forum so if you have spares that you know you will not need, you just sell them here.

Last edited by stoanee; September 1, 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: punctation........
Old September 1, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

every good to me. I would, like Stoanee, tell you to get 1 or 2 extra of each fitting and maybe a bit of extra tube. Also be sure to order the liquid before thinking of draining the loop when you will need new:P

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 1, 2010, 07:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So, pretty much what I have is good. I'll add 2 more of each 45 and straight fittings plus 2/3 Ts. I forgot to put how much tube I will be getting. 4m is what I am planning on and that 4L of coolant. Now, since I am new to this, would it be beneficial to run fluid through all the components before closing the system?

EDIT: and just to double check/be certain. All of these components are compatible correct?

Last edited by Calamity; September 1, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes they are. The best thhing to do before building it is to go to your local drug store, buy some distillated water, build the loop ( smallest as possible ) clean it with the distillated water ( NEVER use regular water ) then dry it and build the beast in the computer, full it and close.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 1, 2010, 08:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is going to be a weird comparison, but I kinda figured it was like a zippo, you have to burn the wick before you add fluid :P
"Use before Use"
Old September 1, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
This is going to be a weird comparison, but I kinda figured it was like a zippo, you have to burn the wick before you add fluid :P
"Use before Use"
Kind of, the point of cleaning out of the case is because before the shipping to retailer they add some kind of oil and other thing to prevent rust that you don't want in your loop. This cleaning is also a leak testing for the part. Then you build it, you full it and you leak test again:)

Martin_metal_88

Old September 1, 2010, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect

Don't use that res. It's pretty bad designed. There is a waterfall (some might like it) but it adds bubbles back to the loop, so your loop never gets bleeded. You are then forced to fill the res up as much as possible.Also, there isn't slots on the sides, like XSPC res does. So you have to mod most computer case 5.25" bays to fit. Get something like the EK tube res.

Go with distilled water and flush all your gear before even leak testing it.

Need few more feet of tubing and a few hose clamps for the pump.

buy the 45s and comp. fittings seperate.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

More than 12 ft of tubing? Also will that pump be sufficient for one loop and a possible second later? That is the main reason why I wanted to get that res, I want to do a CPU loop right now and later get the CPU, GPUs and a full board on 2 loops.
What do you mean getting the fittings separate?

Last edited by Calamity; September 2, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So I have been thinking recently about the dual loop and I think I would much prefer a single loop. I have changed from the EK dual res to the single bay res. Lost the coolant and changed from the pre-cut packages of tubing to a single 25 foot piece.

Also, If I were to put the CPU, MB and GPUs into a single loop, would that pump with a top be sufficient? I do realize that I would have to add another rad into the equation.

For now I am thinking - res>pump>rad>CPU>res

If I was to go single loop w/ GPUs - res>pump>rad>CPU>MB>rad>2x GPU>res