Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2010, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Post Need help with noise etc..

Recently i got a swiftech MCR drive 320, it's a radiator with integrated pump & res.

picture of my dusty rig here with rad on radbox at the back

Now the problem is noise, the fans are scythe gentle typhoons 1150rpm. They are pretty silent, the noisiest thing seems to be the pump which is an MCP 350. it has a highish pitch noise to it and it is making a hum which comes and goes, so in all those noises are a bit irritating to me and i was hoping it was going to be quieter than it is. if you are wondering why i bought it, it was mainly for ease of setup & obviously hoping for a quiet system.

Another problem is the cabling, if i move them even a bit then something rattles/buzzes until i move the wires again. also for some reason, the waterblock would not mount one of the other possible ways, some of the bolts would just get stuck while trying to screw them in.

I also discovered i somehow managed to scuff/dent the block as there are markings just around the outside of where the cpu would be actually i think right where it goes on the cpu socket.

Anyway, is there anything i can do about the noise?.
Old August 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Try to put pump on anti-vibration pad.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old August 21, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's hard to say for sure (noises are hard to describe), but your pump noise sounds a lot like what you get if the pump has a solid contact with the case. Given that you have an MCR Drive, your options are kind of limited, but you might consider detaching the assembly from the back of the case, just to see if the noise changes any.

Also, while I know this is just a picture, your tach wire from the pump looks like it's catching in one of the case fans. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the source of your rattling/buzzing when the cables are moved.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

the pump is incorperated into rad so would need these to mount rad

sounds if got a bad rotor or pump was dropped knocking the balance media outta place

or can be case rivettes loose would need to buck them tighter

+1 Mpg good call on tack wire

Last edited by KaptCrunch; August 22, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old August 22, 2010, 03:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
It's hard to say for sure (noises are hard to describe), but your pump noise sounds a lot like what you get if the pump has a solid contact with the case. Given that you have an MCR Drive, your options are kind of limited, but you might consider detaching the assembly from the back of the case, just to see if the noise changes any.

Also, while I know this is just a picture, your tach wire from the pump looks like it's catching in one of the case fans. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the source of your rattling/buzzing when the cables are moved.
Hi, those fans are not running. at least not yet, i left them off. I would not let a cable touch the fan like that and turn it on unless it was by accident of course, i think the buzzing is to do with the top fan attached to the radbox, moving it slightly makes a tick/buzz noise.. not 100% but i think it is.

The thing isn't really loud, it just has annoying noises to it. it's not constant. Like the humming that comes and goes and the impeller (sounds like) noises seem to be up and down. if it wasn't for them i would be much happier, it's just irritating.
Old August 22, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow of chaos
The thing isn't really loud, it just has annoying noises to it. it's not constant. Like the humming that comes and goes and the impeller (sounds like) noises seem to be up and down. if it wasn't for them i would be much happier, it's just irritating.
drain loop

open pump,WB an check if is alright

NOTE:be careful of 0-ring's and pump impeller is held by STRONG magnetic field, so when time to install again careful not to let it smack back in place (hold back) for not to chip/DAMAGE the cermic ball or rotor bearing surface
Old August 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

perhaps get some 120mm fan gaskets to separate your fans from your rad a little better. I've seen some rubber ones that are realitively "thin" - like the ones that come with TFC rads.

Do what Daz said.

And buy some small, black tie-wraps for your cables. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.